2016 NCAA football discussion thread

No. Florida is out, even if they beat bama by 90.

That's fine and all but your missing my argument - I'm saying that Conf WINNERS should play in the playoff regardless. Makes ZERO sense to me to have a conf LOSER in when you can't even win that let alone play in the playoff for the biggest prize. If you want to go that route then fine all 5 conf winners against top 3 wild cards based on last week in poll #'s.

Were still talking 4 team playoff here, not 8.
If Bama were to lose, that gives them 1 loss, just like everyone else, why would they drop out of the top 4 ?

Really depends on the way they lost IMO... if they lost bad then out they go. If they lost by 7 or 3 - ok but again Florida would go in their place and the way it should work would be if they have the highest wild card poll slot - I'm also looking at how it should be and that's 8 teams to make sure all Conf winners get in.

Not arguing how it is - I'm arguing how it should be which you agree with me on that. A 4 team playoff just isn't going to work over and over when it causes issues like it will this year and not having conf winners in.

I get what you are saying, and most years it will play itself out that way, but in some cases, the best team does not win the conference. That IMO will be the case this year in the big 10, where the best TWO teams wont be in the conf champ game, and the fourth best team could win it.

It happened in 2011.

If all conferences were equal, then yeah, I might go the conf champ only in the playoff route, but they are not. I prefer the best four teams, even if they all came from the same division in the same conference.

All that said, as I have mentioned before, the way they select them is flawed. The BCS selection process was much better IMO

We lost badly to North Carolina, beat y'all, beat a very very bad UVA, and then just barely beat a bad U(s)GA. How is any of that turning it on?

UNC is NOT a bad team... UVA yeah they suck! lol sorry but they looked good that day and yesterday from what I saw. Its ok I know your gonna disagree with everything I say - water is wet just sayin.

I get what you are saying, and most years it will play itself out that way, but in some cases, the best team does not win the conference. That IMO will be the case this year in the big 10, where the best TWO teams wont be in the conf champ game, and the fourth best team could win it.

It happened in 2011.

If all conferences were equal, then yeah, I might go the conf champ only in the playoff route, but they are not. I prefer the best four teams, even if they all came from the same division in the same conference.

All that said, as I have mentioned before, the way they select them is flawed. The BCS selection process was much better IMO
That's why I prefer how the other division do it (as well as Div I Basketball). All the recognized conference champions are in the playoffs, along with x number of at large (the highest ranked ones that didn't win conf championships).

Just expand to 16 teams, and it can be done easily. Plus gives us a couple more weeks of football. :D

I get what you are saying, and most years it will play itself out that way, but in some cases, the best team does not win the conference.

The best team wins their conference... makes no sense why anyone thinks NOT winning your own conference means you are the best.
This year is the first time it may be that a conf LOSER will get into the playoff which should get the flames stoked for some changes.

That's why I prefer how the other division do it (as well as Div I Basketball). All the recognized conference champions are in the playoffs, along with x number of at large (the highest ranked ones that didn't win conf championships).

Just expand to 16 teams, and it can be done easily. Plus gives us a couple more weeks of football. :D

I agree to this just at 8 teams.

UNC is NOT a bad team... UVA yeah they suck! lol sorry but they looked good that day and yesterday from what I saw. Its ok I know your gonna disagree with everything I say - water is wet just sayin.
Doesn't matter if UNC is good or bad, they still killed Tech.

Badly losing to a good team doesn't make you good.

I was just going to include the power 5
If you want that, then you need to split division 1 again, which isn't going to happen.

Until then, they have the same rights to be included as other conferences.
Lots of them are better than some of the bottom dwellers of the ACC, SEC, Big #, etc...

Doesn't matter if UNC is good or bad, they still killed Tech.

Badly losing to a good team doesn't make you good.

They could end up with 9 wins..thats pretty good considering their rocky start and melt down from last year of 3-9. I don't believe thats a bad thing regardless of how they got to it.

The best team wins their conference... makes no sense why anyone thinks NOT winning your own conference means you are the best.
This year is the first time it may be that a conf LOSER will get into the playoff which should get the flames stoked for some changes.
That conference LOSER as you say .... has a better over all record than the guys playing in the Conference Championship game.

Since when is a 1 loss team worse than a 2 loss teams when that team has beat 3 or the 4 top 10 teams it played ?

Really depends on the way they lost IMO... if they lost bad then out they go. If they lost by 7 or 3 - ok but again Florida would go in their place and the way it should work would be if they have the highest wild card poll slot - I'm also looking at how it should be and that's 8 teams to make sure all Conf winners get in.

Not arguing how it is - I'm arguing how it should be which you agree with me on that. A 4 team playoff just isn't going to work over and over when it causes issues like it will this year and not having conf winners in.
Ok, if your gonna go by the way they lost ....
Ohio State lost in the last minute to Penn State.
Michigan lost in the last minute to Ohio State.

That conference LOSER as you say .... has a better over all record than the guys playing in the Conference Championship game.

Since when is a 1 loss team worse than a 2 loss teams when that team has beat 3 or the 4 top 10 teams it played ?

Good lord give it a rest. You have your opinion we have ours. quit harping on it. have to unsubscribe from this thread again

Curious. If we had the old BCS system in place this season, who goes? Bama and OSU? Or would Clemson get the nod (assuming bama and clemson win out).

A post from Rivals.

I'm not so sure that right now, at this point in the season, Ohio State is even a better team than Penn State.

Penn State is on an eight game win streak, including a head to head victory over Ohio State. In the last two weeks, both teams have played Michigan State. Ohio State won by 1 point, while Penn State won by 33.

Jimbo, thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)