2019-20 NCAA Football Thread

So ...
Any time you lower your helmet its targeting ?
The NCAA rules make no difference between intentional or not.

The film clearly showed him lowering his head in order to hit first with the helmet. That action is what got him for targeting, as the rule defines targeting as not just helmet-to-helmet contact, as shown below, the forth bullet point example is "Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet." The refs never said helmet-to-helmet, only targeting.

The official 2018 Football Code of the NCAA Football Rules Committee stresses that "players and coaches should emphasize the elimination of targeting and initiating contact against a defenseless opponent and/or with the crown of the helmet."

Targeting does not solely occur when players initiate helmet-to-helmet contact. It's defined as occurring when a player "takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." Instances include, but are not limited to:

• Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

I'm pretty sure Jimbo and I will never agree on last night's game (given our opposite allegiances lol) but I do feel the targeting call was cut and dry. The referee's explanation was about the same as above. After looking at multiple angles it was crown to crown, which met the definition of the rule. Let's be honest- every fan, player (except for QBs) and coach hates the targeting rule in both the NFL & College ranks, but it is what it is. By this stage of the season every player knows what is and isn't targeting. The kid knew he had a chance to make a big play and just got caught up in the moment and led with his helmet.

The second call was definitely arguable. The referee's explanation was that the video replay official provided numerous angles and they overturned it based on that. If I were an Ohio State fan I wouldn't be happy about it either I'm sure. Somewhere I saw this was the "top rated" SEC crew. If that is the case they need to hire some officials in the offseason.

Honestly when Ohio State jumped out 16-0 I thought Clemson was toast. Their defense adjusted and really played well to hold the Buckeyes to just 7 points after that, and keeping them to those field goals vs. TDs early in the game was huge. I give Lawrence credit where it is due. He found some weaknesses and exploited them to come back. That touchdown run was huge. I can't remember the last time I saw a quarterback with a TD run that long in a game like this. I really thought Clemson left them with too much time at the end of the game (and I was right, had it not been for the INT Ohio State would've scored and won by 1).

The Championship game will tell the tale, but I honestly think the committee gave in to the SEC hype when they put LSU 1st. I think Ohio State's defense is definitely better than LSU's is. Oklahoma wasn't really a test. It is hard to judge them by that game, but LSU gave up a lot of points in some games this year. Burrow vs. Lawrence offensively will of course get all the attention.
Of course it was CROWN to Crown ... Lawrence came down to protect himself.
If he stands up, its not even close .
Lawrence is 6'6", theres no way a 6'0" player hits him in the helmet without him dropping down.

Of course it was CROWN to Crown ... Lawrence came down to protect himself.
If he stands up, its not even close .
Lawrence is 6'6", theres no way a 6'0" player hits him in the helmet without him dropping down.
And you are ignoring that he lowered his helmet to make the hit.

The rules prohibit lowering you head and initiating contact with the crown of the helmet, and does not require that contact to be with the helmet.
The targeting call was because he lowered his head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

As shown at the 20 sec mark of this video.

The rules prohibit lowering you head and initiating contact with the crown of the helmet, and does not require that contact to be with the helmet.
The targeting call was because he lowered his head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

But, its OK if an offensive player does it ?

Keep in mind, on the Targeting issue, there was NO Flag on the play (therefore the officials thought it was a good play) then after crybaby Lawrence laid on the field like he was knocked out .... finally got up and walked off ... they never did take him in for Concussion evaluation (which is suppose to happen) he comes back a play later, so that tells you it wasn't all that bad to begin with.
Crybaby? You think he was acting ?
It was a hell of a lick, I’ve no doubt it dazed him.

But only if the contact is above the shoulders. Unless they have again changes it you can lead with the helmet to the body. The head is what they are looking at. Or anything above the shoulders(which the head obviously is).

Reactions: Jimbo
But only if the contact is above the shoulders. Unless they have again changes it you can lead with the helmet to the body. The head is what they are looking at. Or anything above the shoulders(which the head obviously is).
From the rules:

Targeting does not solely occur when players initiate helmet-to-helmet contact.

He lowered the helmet and hit with the crown of the helmet, in that instance, it doesn't have to be above the shoulders. If he had led with the helmet it would have, but him lowering it is what got him called.

FINALLY, someone said the right thing ....
If you watch this play at the :20 second mark it is CLEAR that Lawrence crouches down to brace for the hit, causing the helmet to helmet contact ... Wade would have hit him in the chest or shoulder pads otherwise and the crown would not have been an issue.
Btw, have you ever played the game and made a tackle ... yes, you suppose to look at what your hitting, although it doesn't happen vary often.
Wade doesn't lower his helmet if Lawrence doesn't lower his.

From the rules:

Targeting does not solely occur when players initiate helmet-to-helmet contact.
That is correct. I was off on what I said.

face ejection for targeting defenseless opponents above the shoulders or using the crown of the helmet to contact an opponent”

FINALLY, someone said the right thing ....
If you watch this play at the :20 second mark it is CLEAR that Lawrence crouches down to brace for the hit, causing the helmet to helmet contact ... Wade would have hit him in the chest or shoulder pads otherwise and the crown would not have been an issue.
Btw, have you ever played the game and made a tackle ... yes, you suppose to look at what your hitting, although it doesn't happen vary often.
Wade doesn't lower his helmet if Lawrence doesn't lower his.
That’s some pretty rose colored glasses you’re using. Did you steal my Bama ones ? :D

• Haha
Reactions: Derwin0
Face it, Clemson got a 14 point swing on those 2 calls that could have went the other way, going thier way ...

The Buckeyes clearly outplayed Clemson and deserve to be playing for the Championship.

You KNOW the committee wanted Clemson and the SEC to play again, they made sure of it.

Crybaby? You think he was acting ?
It was a hell of a lick, I’ve no doubt it dazed him.
Ya right ...
He laid there till all the cameras were on him, knowing that he would be right back in and the opponent could be thrown out.
He played it well .... got the call ...
Didn't even miss a play, ya he was hurt so bad that they didn't even take him to the tent to check for a Concussion ...

Face it, Clemson got a 14 point swing on those 2 calls that could have went the other way, going thier way ...

The Buckeyes clearly outplayed Clemson and deserve to be playing for the Championship.

You KNOW the committee wanted Clemson and the SEC to play again, they made sure of it.
Then don’t target, and it’s only 7.

That call you can blame your player.

The NCAA rules make no difference between intentional or not.

The film clearly showed him lowering his head in order to hit first with the helmet. That action is what got him for targeting, as the rule defines targeting as not just helmet-to-helmet contact, as shown below, the forth bullet point example is "Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet." The refs never said helmet-to-helmet, only targeting.

Find me an illegal part in that tackle, we wasn't even lowering his helmet till Lawrence started to go into a crouch ...

I wish we could go back to when they use to actually allow you to TACKLE someone .... you didn't have this stuff before people started to just hit people and hope they fall down.

Find me an illegal part in that tackle, we wasn't even lowering his helmet till Lawrence started to go into a crouch ...
That doesn't matter, the rules prohibit you from lowering your helmet and hitting with the crown of the helmet. Plain and simple.

I wish we could go back to when they use to actually allow you to TACKLE someone .... you didn't have this stuff before people started to just hit people and hope they fall down.
You want to go back to the injuries that paralized some players? You do know that's why the rules came about right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)