2019-20 NCAA Football Thread

In the next game, I'm expecting the team that wins the O line and D line to win.

Dobbins getting going would be Huge for the Buckeyes.
Clemson's RB Etienne is also VERY good and I'm Hoping the Buckeye LB's can bottled up ... (Lawrence as well on the scrambles).

Reactions: mccoyrj
In the next game, I'm expecting the team that wins the O line and D line to win.

Dobbins getting going would be Huge for the Buckeyes.
Clemson's RB Etienne is also VERY good and I'm Hoping the Buckeye LB's can bottled up ... (Lawrence as well on the scrambles).
Dobbins and the Buckeyes O line won the 1st half, second half was more even.
Dobbins ended up with 18 carries for 174 yards and 1 TD.
Etienne ended up with only 36 yards rushing and a TD on 10 carries, however was much more effective in the passing game ... 3 rec. for 98 yards and 2 TDs .
Lawrence ran more than the RB's for Clemson ...

Clemson stopped the Buckeyes in the 1st half from blowing the game out by holding them to 3 FGs in the red zone ....

There was some VERY questionable SEC Officiating calls that cost the Buckeyes 2 TDs and thier top CB for a bogus Targeting call ...
Clemson went on to score a TD on that drive after the penalty gave them a 1st done on a 3rd down play.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Burrow is unbelievably good. No doubt he will go #1 in the draft.
This next game will be a lot closer contest.
And Burrow couldn't crack the starting line up at The Ohio State University.
(When he was there) ...
Had he stayed, the Buckeyes would not have signed Fields and Burrows would have started this year.
He didn't beat out Haskins last year.

And Burrow couldn't crack the starting line up at The Ohio State University.
(When he was there) ...
Had he stayed, the Buckeyes would not have signed Fields and Burrows would have started this year.
He didn't beat out Haskins last year.

Perhaps that’s more of a testament to LSU assistant QB coach Joe Brady’s ability to analyze and develop talent. Remember, LSU had Burrow and these same receivers last season and were nowhere close to being this productive offensively (although at times they did show flashes of things to come). Orgeron brings in Joe Brady from the New Orleans Saints, along with his philosophy used to develop Drew Brees and their NFL offense, and look what he’s accomplished in just one season. He’s proving smart, talented players plus a new, innovative system can win over just running the same old offense with raw underdeveloped talent.

...There was some VERY questionable SEC Officiating calls that cost the Buckeyes 2 TDs and thier top CB for a bogus Targeting call ...
I agree 100%. Those calls turned the momentum completely around in that game, especially the targeting call. SEC officials are terrible. They have yet to consistently call, or even understand the definition of targeting since that rule came into effect. tOSU shouldn’t take it personally however, SEC officials are just bad.

I also think the Buckeyes were their own worst enemy a couple of times. That miscommunication on the game ending interception, and that roughing the kicker blunder when they had Clemson backed up, may have cost them the game more than anything. Of course had Dobbins not tweaked his ankle they still may have won. They were clearly the more talented team.

Dobbins and the Buckeyes O line won the 1st half, second half was more even.
Dobbins ended up with 18 carries for 174 yards and 1 TD.
Etienne ended up with only 36 yards rushing and a TD on 10 carries, however was much more effective in the passing game ... 3 rec. for 98 yards and 2 TDs .
Lawrence ran more than the RB's for Clemson ...

Clemson stopped the Buckeyes in the 1st half from blowing the game out by holding them to 3 FGs in the red zone ....

There was some VERY questionable SEC Officiating calls that cost the Buckeyes 2 TDs and thier top CB for a bogus Targeting call ...
Clemson went on to score a TD on that drive after the penalty gave them a 1st done on a 3rd down play.
Nice rundown Jimbo, what was the score?

Reactions: camo
I see people talking about the targeting call, I’m assuming there was only the one at the end of the first half?

I think that was a good call. He led with the crown of his helmet , looked cut and dried to me.

I see people talking about the targeting call, I’m assuming there was only the one at the end of the first half?

I think that was a good call. He led with the crown of his helmet , looked cut and dried to me.

I'm pretty sure Jimbo and I will never agree on last night's game (given our opposite allegiances lol) but I do feel the targeting call was cut and dry. The referee's explanation was about the same as above. After looking at multiple angles it was crown to crown, which met the definition of the rule. Let's be honest- every fan, player (except for QBs) and coach hates the targeting rule in both the NFL & College ranks, but it is what it is. By this stage of the season every player knows what is and isn't targeting. The kid knew he had a chance to make a big play and just got caught up in the moment and led with his helmet.

The second call was definitely arguable. The referee's explanation was that the video replay official provided numerous angles and they overturned it based on that. If I were an Ohio State fan I wouldn't be happy about it either I'm sure. Somewhere I saw this was the "top rated" SEC crew. If that is the case they need to hire some officials in the offseason.

Honestly when Ohio State jumped out 16-0 I thought Clemson was toast. Their defense adjusted and really played well to hold the Buckeyes to just 7 points after that, and keeping them to those field goals vs. TDs early in the game was huge. I give Lawrence credit where it is due. He found some weaknesses and exploited them to come back. That touchdown run was huge. I can't remember the last time I saw a quarterback with a TD run that long in a game like this. I really thought Clemson left them with too much time at the end of the game (and I was right, had it not been for the INT Ohio State would've scored and won by 1).

The Championship game will tell the tale, but I honestly think the committee gave in to the SEC hype when they put LSU 1st. I think Ohio State's defense is definitely better than LSU's is. Oklahoma wasn't really a test. It is hard to judge them by that game, but LSU gave up a lot of points in some games this year. Burrow vs. Lawrence offensively will of course get all the attention.

I'm pretty sure Jimbo and I will never agree on last night's game (given our opposite allegiances lol) but I do feel the targeting call was cut and dry. The referee's explanation was about the same as above. After looking at multiple angles it was crown to crown, which met the definition of the rule. Let's be honest- every fan, player (except for QBs) and coach hates the targeting rule in both the NFL & College ranks, but it is what it is. By this stage of the season every player knows what is and isn't targeting. The kid knew he had a chance to make a big play and just got caught up in the moment and led with his helmet.

The second call was definitely arguable. The referee's explanation was that the video replay official provided numerous angles and they overturned it based on that. If I were an Ohio State fan I wouldn't be happy about it either I'm sure. Somewhere I saw this was the "top rated" SEC crew. If that is the case they need to hire some officials in the offseason.

Honestly when Ohio State jumped out 16-0 I thought Clemson was toast. Their defense adjusted and really played well to hold the Buckeyes to just 7 points after that, and keeping them to those field goals vs. TDs early in the game was huge. I give Lawrence credit where it is due. He found some weaknesses and exploited them to come back. That touchdown run was huge. I can't remember the last time I saw a quarterback with a TD run that long in a game like this. I really thought Clemson left them with too much time at the end of the game (and I was right, had it not been for the INT Ohio State would've scored and won by 1).

The Championship game will tell the tale, but I honestly think the committee gave in to the SEC hype when they put LSU 1st. I think Ohio State's defense is definitely better than LSU's is. Oklahoma wasn't really a test. It is hard to judge them by that game, but LSU gave up a lot of points in some games this year. Burrow vs. Lawrence offensively will of course get all the attention.
I am a Clemson fan but I think they are going to have a ruff time with LSU. They look pretty sharp.

Wade definitely led with his helmet. My problem is when the offensive player also leads with his helmet when they see contact coming, unintentionally repositioning to cause the helmet to helmet contact, which is what I believe Lawrence did last night. In that instance the refs should show more discretion when disqualifying the defensive player. Of course that would require tweaking the rule, which is also needed.

Reactions: Jimbo
I agree 100%. Those calls turned the momentum completely around in that game, especially the targeting call. SEC officials are terrible. They have yet to consistently call, or even understand the definition of targeting since that rule came into effect. tOSU shouldn’t take it personally however, SEC officials are just bad.

I also think the Buckeyes were their own worst enemy a couple of times. That miscommunication on the game ending interception, and that roughing the kicker blunder when they had Clemson backed up, may have cost them the game more than anything. Of course had Dobbins not tweaked his ankle they still may have won. They were clearly the more talented team.
The miscommunication on thier last play was just that ... Olave (WR) thought that Fields was scrambling so he broke off his route ... I don't fault either of them.

The roughing the kicker was just a dumb move (when it doesn't work) ...
I always thought Roughing the kicker (15 yard variety) was only when you hit the kickers leg while kicking ... THAT did not happen ...
I was thinking it would have been the 5 yard variety ...

Apparently Ryan Day saw the same game we all saw .... with many bad REPLAY going against them.

Keep in mind, on the Targeting issue, there was NO Flag on the play (therefore the officials thought it was a good play) then after crybaby Lawrence laid on the field like he was knocked out .... finally got up and walked off ... they never did take him in for Concussion evaluation (which is suppose to happen) he comes back a play later, so that tells you it wasn't all that bad to begin with.

If they are going to throw players out like that, they need to change the rule ....
If the player that gets targeted, comes back into the game ... remember, its gonna be a very bad hit to be targeted ... the other player should be able to come back when the effected player does.

They really need to LOOK close and determine INTENT vs Non Intent.
There was no Intent to harm Lawrence.

Nice rundown Jimbo, what was the score?
29-23 ...
That is without the TD taken away from the Buckeyes when the Clemson WR caught the ball ran 2 clear steps, lost the ball, picked up by Buckeyes and ran in from 29 yards out for the score (that didn't count) ... again ... TD ON THE FIELD ... turned over by replay (again ).

So if you give us the 7 points back its 30-29 ....

Also keep in mind that Clemson scored 2 plays after the Ejected player went out ... that ejection play was a 3rd down, Clemson would have punted at that point ... Buckeyes were rolling .... so that was essentially a 14 point swing ... it really should have been 30-15.

Wade definitely led with his helmet. My problem is when the offensive player also leads with his helmet when they see contact coming, unintentionally repositioning to cause the helmet to helmet contact, which is what I believe Lawrence did last night. In that instance the refs should show more discretion when disqualifying the defensive player. Of course that would require tweaking the rule, which is also needed.
Thats where the INTENT comes in ...
The rule is really stupid because they know damn well the rule is suppose to look at intent, but they fail to do that quite often.

The rule is to eliminate a WR from getting hammered going over the middle when a CB or Safety launches to make a BIG hit, instead of tackling them.

The incomplete/fumble thing could have gone either way, but the targeting call was clear. He lowered his helmet and led with it, cut & dry, and don’t forget the choke hold the other guy did on the same play.

And yes, SEC officiating has been bad for years.

The incomplete/fumble thing could have gone either way, but the targeting call was clear. He lowered his helmet and led with it, cut & dry, and don’t forget the choke hold the other guy did on the same play.

So ...
Any time you lower your helmet its targeting ?

I thought the call was for helmet to helmet contact ...
Players lower thier helmet all the time without getting called ...
I know, they tell you not to do that.

They also tell you to TACKLE, but no one does that anymore either.

Would you like to start going over all the holding on Chase Young as well ?
How about the holding both teams were doing on recvrs ?

Pretty odd that the MAJOR calls got called against the Buckeyes ...

When the player catches the ball and takes 2 or more steps and still has the ball, thats a CATCH ... when he loses it, thats a FUMBLE ....

when it gets picked up and ran in for a TD, thats a TOUCHDOWN ...

Oh, wait ... no its not.

I'm curious, had the Clemson team recovered it, I bet it would have THEN become a catch and a fumble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)