2019-20 NCAA Football Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Bama people root for Aubarn to lose all the time. But a difference might be because most of the teams down here have an in-state team as their biggest rival. That leads more towards divided loyalties, as opposed to schools where the rival is someone from out-of-state, giving you no reason to root for them.

Back when I was a kid, I would root against Ga Tech (grew up in a UGA household), but then I went to Tech. Could never develop the hatred people at school had for Georgia (mostly people from out-of-state), so I just root for both (except when they play each other).

Personally, now I think it’s silly to actually hate a team, I just prefer to enjoy the game, and generally root for my favored of the two to win, not for one of them to lose.
That may be true in some states, but the Ohio State/ TTUN rooting for is Very clear ...
Its one way or the other here ...
That doesn't mean everyone from Ohio roots against ichigan same goes, the other way, not everyone from Michigan roots for them either.
However, its always one way or the other.

LSU fans hate Bama probably more than any other rivalry. Part of this is due to Nick Saban. I have never wanted Bama to win, but I may root for them playing Michigan. It has been years since Bama was not in a championship game and in just a Bowl game. Some of my neighbors are arrogant Bama fans and they are very depressed right now.

Reactions: mccoyrj
That may be true in some states, but the Ohio State/ TTUN rooting for is Very clear ...
That doesn't mean everyone from Ohio roots against ichigan same goes, the other way, not everyone from Michigan roots for them either.
Did you miss the part of the post where I pointed out that the main rivals down here are IN-state, something that Ohio State and Michigan are not.
But a difference might be because most of the teams down here have an in-state team as their biggest rival. That leads more towards divided loyalties, as opposed to schools where the rival is someone from out-of-state, giving you no reason to root for them.
Most of us will root for a home State team over out-of-state team, even if that home State team is the rival of our team.

LSU fans hate Bama probably more than any other rivalry. Part of this is due to Nick Saban. I have never wanted Bama to win, but I may root for them playing Michigan. It has been years since Bama was not in a championship game and in just a Bowl game. Some of my neighbors are arrogant Bama fans and they are very depressed right now.

Bama has never really been a rivalry for LSU, just a team that the Tigers could never get past even during some of their better seasons. I’ve always disliked them for that reason, and it goes way back to the days of the Bear. If anything, Ole Miss is/was the closest team LSU has a rivalry with, which hasn’t been much fun the last few decades. Sort of like what Bama/Tennessee is today. And for the record, I have never pulled for another SEC team unless it helps my Tigers or they were playing another one I disliked more. Not all of us SEC team fans are conference blow buddies.

Geaux Tigers!

Reactions: Jimbo and mdonnelly
Bama has never really been a rivalry for LSU, just a team that the Tigers could never get past even during some of their better seasons.
Yeah, Alabama is the same thing for Georgia, but even less so as they don't play them much, before & after the division split.

Buckeyes will be fine ...
You obviously only watched the 1st half ...
Days half time adjustments this year have been fabulous.
1/2 way thru the 4th quarter Wisconsin had 23 total yards in the half.

Clemson's over confidence is gonna kill them if they think they can just show up and win.
No! I watched the whole game. I was cussing and everything possible from not throwing something at the TV. But OSU has a problem of not getting a good start and against Clemson they will pounce on those slow starts. My blood pressure goes up every time I watch a game.

Reactions: gasman882001
I always say the team up north.:biggrin

No! I watched the whole game. I was cussing and everything possible from not throwing something at the TV. But OSU has a problem of not getting a good start and against Clemson they will pounce on those slow starts. My blood pressure goes up every time I watch a game.
That is IF CLemson gets a good start ....
Most teams take a few series to get the feel of the game and then it goes from there.

This should be a good game regardless.

I always say the team up north.:biggrin
I usually do as well, some times the ichigan comes out, thats from the Urban era.
More often than not its TTUN ...

I mentioned Michigan in that post earlier as I was referring to the STATE of Michigan at that point, not TTUN.

In reality Penn State and to some extent Wisconsin (we don't play them as often) are bigger rivals for the Buckeyes than TTUN (at least in the last 20 years.)

Heisman Invites:

Joe Burrow (LSU- QB)
Justin Fields (OSU - QB)
Jalen Hurts (OU - QB)
Chase Young (OSU - DE)

WHAT ?
No JK.Dobbins ?
Could have been 3 from the Buckeyes ...

While I know JK was not going to win the award or be invited, he could have been. 3 Buckeyes would have split votes among themselves, so there was No way any of them were winning it.

Personally, to me the Heisman doesn't do much for me ... its made out to be an Individual award in a TEAM game.
It also goes almost entirely to a QB, regardless of other players at positions that deserve it as well.

You NEVER get a Defensive player (only a few have actually been discussed) ...
WR's and RB's are almost passed by as well, not as bad as Defensive players, but its pretty much given to a QB in the Playoffs or top 5 teams.

Unfortunately, the amount of Heisman winners that go on to be great in the Pros is a very small percentage ... I would guess under 10%.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
But I expect Oklahoma to lose convincingly to LSU. Turnovers will kill them, and the crowd will be an LSU crowd.
I wouldn't worry about that. It was a Georgia crowd in the SEC Championship Game, but that didn't stop LSU.

Plus the way the acoustics are in Benz stadium, the crowd noise seldom impacts play.

Reactions: mccoyrj
WHAT ?
No JK.Dobbins ?
Could have been 3 from the Buckeyes ...

While I know JK was not going to win the award or be invited, he could have been. 3 Buckeyes would have split votes among themselves, so there was No way any of them were winning it.

Personally, to me the Heisman doesn't do much for me ... its made out to be an Individual award in a TEAM game.
It also goes almost entirely to a QB, regardless of other players at positions that deserve it as well.

You NEVER get a Defensive player (only a few have actually been discussed) ...
WR's and RB's are almost passed by as well, not as bad as Defensive players, but its pretty much given to a QB in the Playoffs or top 5 teams.

Unfortunately, the amount of Heisman winners that go on to be great in the Pros is a very small percentage ... I would guess under 10%.

Both Dobbins and Tua should’ve received an invite before Young. Gus Johnson wouldn’t think so though. He did everything but kiss the guy on the mouth during his telecasts.

Last edited: