2019-20 NCAA Football Thread

Big Ten announced today that they would play Only Conference games this year (if we get that far to playing football)
I would expect the other conferences to follow suit shortly.

Q.
Where does that leave "Conferenceless ND " ?

Will they suddenly be added to the ACC conference for football as well, even though they wouldn't lower themselves to join a conference previously ?

I don't really see what going conference only accomplishes except a couple or so less games.

Most of these conferences are so spread out now that the travel excuse doesn't really hold water to me.

Reactions: Derwin0
I don't really see what going conference only accomplishes except a couple or so less games.

Most of these conferences are so spread out now that the travel excuse doesn't really hold water to me.
I agree with your thoughts about , why not travel to other areas, as long as they are not in a High risk area ...
However, Im think its more to give the Conference for flexibility to move games if needed, in this case, it allows 3 weeks worth, except that would only help if they started the season on time .
I get the feeling the season will start with the 1st Conference game which would be 3 weeks later, hence, losing all the flexibility.

Big Ten announced today that they would play Only Conference games this year (if we get that far to playing football)
I would expect the other conferences to follow suit shortly.
Can't see the SEC & ACC doing this. Too many State rivalries between major schools between those 2 conferences, as well as games against smaller in-State schools.

Can't see the SEC & ACC doing this. Too many State rivalries between major schools between those 2 conferences, as well as games against smaller in-State schools.
Thats no different than the Big Ten ... were talking Conference, not State lines.
Ohio State plays 1 In State smaller school every year so they get the Big Pay Day, that won't happen this year.
I think I read that Bowling Green would make 1.8 M ...

I read that the other Conferences are getting together next week to discuss what they want to do.

I prefer the Big Ten reconsider, but I doubt that happens ...

Thats no different than the Big Ten ... were talking Conference, not State lines.
Ohio State plays 1 In State smaller school every year so they get the Big Pay Day, that won't happen this year.
I think I read that Bowling Green would make 1.8 M ...
The thing is, those in-state games between the ACC & SEC are all large public universities, each pair being in the same system. The various State regents aren't going to allow those games to be canceled while other games are allowed.

The smaller in-state rivals are usually public schools as well. And since travel isn't an issue, there should be no reason to cancel those games.

That's why I don't see the ACC & SEC going to a conference only schedule.

Reports are that the ACC is very strongly considering doing conference only. Pac 12 as well.
Sec and Big 12 say they won’t make a decision until later this month or early august, but if the other three do it, I don’t see those two not, as some of their big out of conference games will be cancelled by default.

Reactions: osu1991 and mccoyrj
The thing is, those in-state games between the ACC & SEC are all large public universities, each pair being in the same system. The various State regents aren't going to allow those games to be canceled while other games are allowed.

The smaller in-state rivals are usually public schools as well. And since travel isn't an issue, there should be no reason to cancel those games.

That's why I don't see the ACC & SEC going to a conference only schedule.
If Travel isn't an issue (I agree) I wonder why the Big Ten decided to do this ... I really wanted to see the Buckeyes play Oregon this year.

They may have jumped the gun a bit too early on this one.

Cancelling the 3 Non Conference games, yes, gives them flexibility, but ONLY if the Season starts the 1st week of Sept, otherwise it loses that flexibility.

Reports are that the ACC is very strongly considering doing conference only. Pac 12 as well.
Sec and Big 12 say they won’t make a decision until later this month or early august, but if the other three do it, I don’t see those two not, as some of their big out of conference games will be cancelled by default.

If others have already decided to forego out of conference games, the SEC and Big12 will be hard pressed to do the same. That’ll come down to only an 8 game season for the SEC unless they add conference teams to match the others, or do they all play only 8 conference games?

If others have already decided to forego out of conference games, the SEC and Big12 will be hard pressed to do the same. That’ll come down to only an 8 game season for the SEC unless they add conference teams to match the others, or do they all play only 8 conference games?
Thinking is that the SEC would add more conference games if they went that route.

Reactions: mccoyrj
Thinking is that the SEC would add more conference games if they went that route.
Seeing how the SEC & ACC already have a scheduling agreement for keeping the 4 in-state rivalries during rivalry week, I can see them scheduling each other to make up for other conferences dropping games.

Q.
Where does that leave "Conferenceless ND " ?

Will they suddenly be added to the ACC conference for football as well, even though they wouldn't lower themselves to join a conference previously ?

IMO they should place the Irish in the Big Ten if they truly are doing all this for travel safety. They are located practically in the middle of the conference area. ND would fight that though.

Pac 12 follows, Bama vs usc cancelled

ACC likely in a few days ... it was mentioned earlier.

SEC and Big 12 to wait a few more weeks to decide ...
Witch I thought the Big Ten would do as well, but I think when OSU shut down earlier in the week, it got people thinking, now might be a better idea.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
SEC commish is preparing folks for the very real possibility that the season may not be played.

• Sad
Reactions: Derwin0
SEC commish is preparing folks for the very real possibility that the season may not be played.

Same things were discussed on the Ohio State / Big Ten side of things.

Its a possibility, hopefully it gets better and we can play games, but you just never know, till ya get there.

Distance learning and/or severe social distancing restrictions will be necessary for students, but contact will be necessary for football players, along with spit, sweat, and blood.

Maybe in the spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts