2020 Dish Price Increases Announced

I still have probably a couple dozen BDs I bought during the war I’ve never gotten around to watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I finally threw pretty much all of mine from the desert away about 2 years ago. They were not good quality, and I had Netflix. Plus the wife hates movies I enjoy so I just watch whatever she watches. Except wrestling. She leaves me alone to watch that. Lol.

Reactions: papachops
You now have the optoin to remove locals on Welcome Pak for the past couple months, but the system will charge for the first receiver, done it on a 5yrs + account
I am really curious exactly how you were able to accomplish this. I just called Dish's Loyalty Department to ask about this, and they completely shut me down. They said that I already have the lowest package they offer, there is no way to remove the locals, and there are no monthly credits available to offset the upcoming increase. :( :mad:

I have been with Dish for over twenty years now. So, how was a five year account able to do this if I can't?

So, after a little creative outside-the-box thinking and playing around with the mydish website, I found a solution that works for me. I was able to switch from Welcome Pack to International Basic for only $15 per month. International Basic also requires an international add-on. The cheapest international package that qualifies is Portuguese RTPI for $9.99 per month. So, it is a total of only $24.99 per month. This is $1 per month cheaper than my current Loyalty rate for Welcome Pack, and it allows me to avoid the upcoming $5 per month increase on Welcome Pack. So, that makes a total savings of $6 per month going forward. International Basic still gives me some of the channels from Welcome Pack that I enjoy (such as BUZZR, GRIT, LAFF, and FETV) along with BBC America, some international news channels, and access to some streaming channels such as NatureVision. The best part is that I can add and remove the locals as needed, and I also have the option to add and remove Latino Bonus Pack, which is unavailable for Welcome Pack subscribers. Here is the complete list for International Basic, for those who may be interested:

I am really curious exactly how you were able to accomplish this. I just called Dish's Loyalty Department to ask about this, and they completely shut me down. They said that I already have the lowest package they offer, there is no way to remove the locals, and there are no monthly credits available to offset the upcoming increase. :( :mad:

I have been with Dish for over twenty years now. So, how was a five year account able to do this if I can't?
I went online, mydish.com
[automerge]1577516467[/automerge]

Attachments

• IMG-20191228-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20191228-WA0004.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG-20191228-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20191228-WA0003.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG-20191228-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20191228-WA0002.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG-20191228-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20191228-WA0001.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG-20191228-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20191228-WA0000.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

Try a different CSR.

So, after a little creative outside-the-box thinking and playing around with the mydish website, I found a solution that works for me. I was able to switch from Welcome Pack to International Basic for only $15 per month. International Basic also requires an international add-on. The cheapest international package that qualifies is Portuguese RTPI for $9.99 per month. So, it is a total of only $24.99 per month. This is $1 per month cheaper than my current Loyalty rate for Welcome Pack, and it allows me to avoid the upcoming $5 per month increase on Welcome Pack. So, that makes a total savings of $6 per month going forward. International Basic still gives me some of the channels from Welcome Pack that I enjoy (such as BUZZR, GRIT, LAFF, and FETV) along with BBC America, some international news channels, and access to some streaming channels such as NatureVision. The best part is that I can add and remove the locals as needed, and I also have the option to add and remove Latino Bonus Pack, which is unavailable for Welcome Pack subscribers. Here is the complete list for International Basic, for those who may be interested:
Do you have the 118 orbit?

I went online, mydish.com
[automerge]1577516467[/automerge]
That is interesting. I tried that, but on my account there was no checkbox for the Locals option. The only options listed in that section were Heartland Pack and Outdoor Pack. I notice that you did this with the $29.99 Welcome Pack, though. I still had the grandfathered $25.99 Welcome Pack, so that may be why the system did not allow it in my case. I notice that it removes the $12 locals, but since it adds a $9 Primary Receiver Fee, the savings is only $3 per month. If I had lost my grandfathering, then the $26.99 rate would have been $1 higher than what I had been paying, for fewer channels.

In any event, like I said in post number 166, I was able to play around with the mydish site to find a solution that actually saves me a little money, and that I like even better.
Do you have the 118 orbit?
Yes. Even with that, the mydish site would not let me actually complete the programming changes, though. It said I had to call.
Try a different CSR.
When I called to complete the change to International Basic, even that CSR had trouble getting the system to actually accept the changes, but it finally went through. Then, there were all of the standard disclosures about changing packages that he was required to read to me. So, it was a little bit more hassle than I would have liked, but at least I was actually able to do what I wanted to do (drop the locals, and lower the monthly bill slightly) so I am pleased. :)

A wild guess is that your Dish account is not registering you having the 118.7 orbital. It’s a simple check box in their system.
I suggested that when he said that the system was trying to schedule an installation. He said that he did something that should have bypassed that requirement when he was changing the programming, though. The problem sounded a little more complicated than that, since at first the system was not even allowing him to remove Welcome Pack. I was placed on a brief hold a few times, each time when he had to ask someone for help. I think he said that he finally had to completely remove everything from my account, and then set it up again from scratch. It finally did accept the changes. Then, the next time I turned on my Wally, I got the pop-up asking me to call to activate DVR service. I reset the Wally, and after the reboot, the DVR functionality came back. So, it was acting as if the DVR functionality had been temporarily removed, which makes sense if everything had to be removed and added back in order to get the system to accept the changes.

That sounds even more like what I was thinking. It’s not something the CSRs are really instructed to do for multiple reasons. I only know it from my time as a supervisor there.

Reactions: pattykay
That sounds even more like what I was thinking. It’s not something the CSRs are really instructed to do for multiple reasons. I only know it from my time as a supervisor there.
I think part of the problem is that International Basic requires another international add-on, rather than being allowed as a stand-alone base package. So, there was some confusion over the sequence of events necessary to switch to it. In other words, he wasn't sure whether to add the Portuguese package first, and then switch the base package from Welcome Pack to International Basic, or do it the other way around. He tried it both ways, and still had trouble until he removed everything and started over.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The system they use is smarter than that. If the language pack was added with the welcome pack on there, it would add. If it read added while the welcome pack was being removed at the same time, it would auto apply the core package. Can actually make all the changes in the same motion before hitting save. The only thing that would prevent it would be if their back end system didn’t recognize the international satellite. It’s hard to explain if you’ve never seen their back end system. They actually use two. One for the CSRs, and one for the actual back end. Promo and CSG.

I went ahead and cancelled Dish this morning. It wasn't an easy decision after being with them for 20 years. They do have a great product, but by switching to a streaming service I can save $35 a month. I am retiring in a year, so I am trying to cut expenses where I can.

The CSR asked why I was cancelling, and I replied that it is just getting too expensive and streaming options are cheaper. And that was that. No attempt to keep me or offer some sort of discount. But that's okay, it would just have kicked the can down the road for another year.

I wish Dish, and all of you loyal subscribers all the best.

The system they use is smarter than that. If the language pack was added with the welcome pack on there, it would add. If it read added while the welcome pack was being removed at the same time, it would auto apply the core package. Can actually make all the changes in the same motion before hitting save. The only thing that would prevent it would be if their back end system didn’t recognize the international satellite. It’s hard to explain if you’ve never seen their back end system. They actually use two. One for the CSRs, and one for the actual back end. Promo and CSG.
Okay. I figured maybe it was the grandfathered Welcome Pack that contributed to the problem. Understandably, they had to make sure that they read the disclosure to me about the grandfathered package price before Welcome Pack could be removed, since I would not be able to get that price again if I switched back to it. In any event, I just got my sister signed up with a new account with Welcome Pack. Her installation is scheduled for Wednesday. She is getting the $29.99 price (about to increase to $34.99 next month) so maybe we can experiment with her account to see if the mydish site will let her remove the locals. :)

(For those who were wondering, they did not let her pick Welcome Pack when first setting up the account. The lowest they could offer was America's Top 120. Also, they could not open the account with the purchased Wally that I had already installed for her. They had to set up the account with a leased Hopper Duo. Then, with a quick call to the Loyalty Department immediately after opening the account, we were able to get her programming package switched to Welcome Pack. There was still no way to add the purchased Wally or cancel the installation, though, since the order was still pending. So, when the installer arrives, all we have to do is explain the situation, and he should be able to add the Wally to the account, and cancel the Hopper Duo. Her dish was starting to have signal loss from the 110 satellite every summer when the leaves were on the trees, so it may be a good thing that an installation was scheduled. This way, the installer can check line-of-sight, and maybe raise the dish higher so it will clear the trees, or move the dish to another location. She is also getting the Silver Protection Plan free for six months. So, if there is any trouble with the signal in the summer like there was before, she will hopefully be covered for another free technician visit if necessary.)

I'm still paying streaming prices for my Dish subscription with the option to add channels when desired at little to no extra cost. I'm good until at least September.

Reactions: pattykay
I'm still paying streaming prices for my Dish subscription with the option to add channels when desired at little to no extra cost. I'm good until at least September.
I agree. I love having the ability to add and remove Latino Bonus Pack as needed, which is an option that I did not have with Welcome Pack. It is a shame that I had to downgrade to a lower package (International Basic) to be able to do this. There is no way that I was about to upgrade to a higher-priced package (Flex Pack) to gain this option. Flex Pack was worth it for me at the old price. (The price that you got locked in. It was even better when they still offered the $5 per month autopay discount with Flex Pack.) Without that discount, and after this year's increase, it was no longer worth it to me, and next month's increase makes it even less likely that I would ever upgrade to Flex Pack again. What really ticked me off was that there was no increase to the regular price of Flex Pack the entire time that I still had a price lock, so my price lock did not do me any good at all. Then, almost immediately after my price lock expired, Dish announced a price increase, and they would not let me do another price lock to avoid the increase. That killed any chance that I would ever be satisfied with the price of Flex Pack, with or without a price lock. Now, that chance is twice-killed. :rip :rip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)