2021-22 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it interesting that OSU coaches couldnt develop a receiver that Bama coaches turned into a star. ;)
Buckeyes had 3 players already better than him.
Buckeyes typically will roll 6 recvrs ....
Had Williams stuck around, he Would have been a part of the BIA WR's.

Buckeyes had 3 players already better than him.
Buckeyes typically will roll 6 recvrs ....
Had Williams stuck around, he Would have been a part of the BIA WR's.
Well, to be fair, he wouldnt have started at Bama his first two seasons either. Although looking back, he did start half of last season with the Buckeyes.

He played, not sure if he started, but its really irrelevant, seeing they roll thier top recvrs.
He started 6 out of the 8 games played. I was thinking they played more games, but then remembered covid.

I’d say he was definitely a starter with those numbers.

He started 6 out of the 8 games played. I was thinking they played more games, but then remembered covid.

I’d say he was definitely a starter with those numbers.
Like I said, Starting is irrelevant seeing they roll 6 different recvrs.
That is why not having Olave and Wilson in the Rose Bowl wasn't an issue, the others had plenty of playing time during the season.
My take is Williams didn't like sharing playing time and knew he would Start at Bama and play an intregal role for them.

Like I said, Starting is irrelevant seeing they roll 6 different recvrs.

I found it interesting that Bama's top WR couldn't make the Buckeyes Starting group of WR's,
But.......')
I found it interesting that Bama's top WR couldn't make the Buckeyes Starting group of WR's,

Would he have gotten as much playing time at OSU this season? Who knows. Maybe? By yardage he was the Third returning receiver from a shortened season.

Obviously he has the skills to play. Is it our coaches that are getting more out of him than they did at OSU? Is it the heisman QB thats making him look better? Probably a combination of the above, plus being a year more developed.

Whatever the reason, hes a valuable piece of the puzzle for Bama this year, and I figure he would have been at OSU had he stayed.

But.......')

Would he have gotten as much playing time at OSU this season? Who knows. Maybe? By yardage he was the Third returning receiver from a shortened season.

Obviously he has the skills to play. Is it our coaches that are getting more out of him than they did at OSU? Is it the heisman QB thats making him look better? Probably a combination of the above, plus being a year more developed.

Whatever the reason, hes a valuable piece of the puzzle for Bama this year, and I figure he would have been at OSU had he stayed.
Are you coaches getting more from him ?
More like there is Less competition there than at OSU.

If you watched the Rose Bowl you saw 3 WR's that were all better than Williams.

He could have been used as the guy to take the top off the D* up here as well as there, however, there are others on the roster doing that as well.

Don't get me wrong, I like Williams as well as the rest ...
Williams saw an option for more playing time at Bama, it just so happened that you lost a bunch of talent last year to the draft ... so he had an easier way to get on the field.

If you watched the Rose Bowl you saw 3 WR's that were all better than Williams.
Yet between those three and him, one was named to the all american team, three were not.
One was a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, three were not.

Yet between those three and him, one was named to the all american team, three were not.
One was a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, three were not.
That baffled all of us, You have 3 Studs at WR and the 4th guy gets the recognition ... doesn't make any sense.
Thats probably sec bias stepping in. :)

Whatever changes they make, if any, I hope it is adjusted so they don't keep ranking teams like Notre Dame just because they're Notre Dame. Every year at some point they enter into national championship talk, end up in a bowl game and generally embarrass themselves. ND's bowl record since 2000 is 6-11. That's pathetic for a team that is constantly being hyped yet every year they garner votes. That needs to change before I start taking these "playoffs" seriously.

2001 - lost 41-9
2003 - lost 26-6
2004 - lost 38-21
2006 - lost 34-20
2007 - lost 41-14
2008 - won 49-21
2010 - won 33-17
2011 - lost 18-14
2012/13 - lost 42-14 (2012 NC)
2013 - won 29-16
2014 - won 31-28
2015/16 - lost 44-28
2017/18 - won 21-17
2018 - lost 30-3
2019 - won 33-9
2020/21 - lost 31-14
2021/22 - lost 37-35

Bowl games lost some of their appeal to me when players who contributed to their Team’s success throughout the regular season decide they’re not going to risk their Professional careers and bail on their Teammates, sitting out the Bowl Games.

Life has Risks. Not playing in a Bowl because you’re going to be putting yourself into the NFL Draft ought to disqualify you from First or Second Round participation. Besides, it announces to the World you are NOT a Team Player, and you’re only looking out for yourself, not the Team you’re on.

Whatever changes they make, if any, I hope it is adjusted so they don't keep ranking teams like Notre Dame just because they're Notre Dame. Every year at some point they enter into national championship talk, end up in a bowl game and generally embarrass themselves. ND's bowl record since 2000 is 6-11. That's pathetic for a team that is constantly being hyped yet every year they garner votes. That needs to change before I start taking these "playoffs" seriously.

2001 - lost 41-9
2003 - lost 26-6
2004 - lost 38-21
2006 - lost 34-20
2007 - lost 41-14
2008 - won 49-21
2010 - won 33-17
2011 - lost 18-14
2012/13 - lost 42-14 (2012 NC)
2013 - won 29-16
2014 - won 31-28
2015/16 - lost 44-28
2017/18 - won 21-17
2018 - lost 30-3
2019 - won 33-9
2020/21 - lost 31-14
2021/22 - lost 37-35

Big difference in being invited to a bowl game and a PLAYOFF Game.

Bowl games lost some of their appeal to me when players who contributed to their Team’s success throughout the regular season decide they’re not going to risk their Professional careers and bail on their Teammates, sitting out the Bowl Games.

Life has Risks. Not playing in a Bowl because you’re going to be putting yourself into the NFL Draft ought to disqualify you from First or Second Round participation. Besides, it announces to the World you are NOT a Team Player, and you’re only looking out for yourself, not the Team you’re on.
I see it both ways ... Yes, I'd rather they play and am disappointed when they don't, but, If your a 1st or early 2nd round pick, I can understand you not wanting to chance injury for the kind of MONEY your going to get.

What I don't get are those that are doing it and are being projected as a 3rd-7th round pick and you bail ...
You should be out there trying your best to play well and potentially IMPROVE your draft status.

So Far, I don't know how many of those that are in the Playoffs have bailed. I'm thinking its Much lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ.

How about when a head coach does it?

Reactions: AZ.
How about when a head coach does it?
What, refuses to coach a game because they could be injured on the sidelines? ;)

Around here, not too many people were upset with Brian Kelly leaving for the bigger paycheck at LSU, mostly because they were prepared for it based on earlier reports. The biggest issue was the timing. Fortunately, the Irish players and most of the coaching staff were happy to see Freeman get the Head Coach position.

The Fiesta Bowl was another game where the defense was asked for more than they had. Would having Kelly call the shots have made a difference? We’ll never know…

College football is not amateur sport, it is a business. The players are making decisions that could have substantial impact on their future earnings for life. They owe the colleges they play for nothing because relative to the revenue they are helping to bring in, they are getting compensated pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: AZ. and Don in CT
College football is not amateur sport, it is a business. The players are making decisions that could have substantial impact on their future earnings for life. They owe the colleges they play for nothing because relative to the revenue they are helping to bring in, they are getting compensated pennies on the dollar.
Except its not that way any longer, due to the stupid NIL.
Players are getting paid plenty.
Hell, players that are not even playing are making a Million dollars (obviously, not all of them)

Reactions: tigerfan33
Except its not that way any longer, due to the stupid NIL.
Players are getting paid plenty.
You are aware of how much revenue is obtained by the NCAA, football cartels, non-profit *cough* bowl games in gate, merchandise, television deals?

They really getting paid "plenty"?
Hell, players that are not even playing are making a Million dollars (obviously, not all of them)
Obviously as in almost none? A tiny handful, who's image is making other people a lot more.

You are aware of how much revenue is obtained by the NCAA, football cartels, non-profit *cough* bowl games in gate, merchandise, television deals?

They really getting paid "plenty"?

Obviously as in almost none? A tiny handful, who's image is making other people a lot more.
Every Athlete on a team is now entitled to make money ....

So you think that the Student Athletes are not getting paid enough .... FREE TUITION IS PLENTY.
Most ALL those athletes are on scholarship, thats plenty, or should be .... or maybe they should take the OTHER option, pay that scholarship by themselves .... then they may realize that they don't have it so bad.

Name Image and Likeness will be the end of College football as we know it, if they don't place rules on it soon.

Very soon, College WILL be the Pros, with no differences.

Reactions: Derwin0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts