2021-22 NHL TV Broadcasts ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This whole Dish/NHL situation is making me suicidal. No NBCSW on Dish so that nixes a lot of Caps games. Now I’m supposed to subscribe to ESPN+ for more games, and all I can find for NBCSW is Fubo or Hulu, yet another frigging subscription. Local CBS is gone now, not that I care, but it seems like I just keep paying more for less.

This whole Dish/NHL situation is making me suicidal. No NBCSW on Dish so that nixes a lot of Caps games. Now I’m supposed to subscribe to ESPN+ for more games, and all I can find for NBCSW is Fubo or Hulu, yet another frigging subscription. Local CBS is gone now, not that I care, but it seems like I just keep paying more for less.
Now you know how I feel. May I suggest another subscription service. Paramount + They have your local CBS station on there.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Ok I think I'm going to be happy with ESPN+ . I did some digging into ESPN+'s website and went into the Blue Jackets schedule for this year and they had the TV schedule for the month of October and it had ESPN+ so we will see what happens.
Best Wishes Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Ok I think I'm going to be happy with ESPN+ . I did some digging into ESPN+'s website and went into the Blue Jackets schedule for this year and they had the TV schedule for the month of October and it had ESPN+ so we will see what happens.
Best Wishes Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

I looked on the ESPN+ website and I don't see any games that are being televised for any team except for what they are going to show on that date. There's no teams that you can select to watch. With NHL TV(streaming) I could select all the hockey teams except for Tampa Bay and Florida Panthers. I had no restrictions on any other teams. I live in Florida. Unless there's something else that you have to have like Hulu TV I don't get it.:mad:
On ESPN+ and Hulu

• ESPN+ will air one exclusive matchup every Tuesday from Oct. 19 to Dec. 28.
  • ESPN will have an exclusive Friday night matchup with Hulu until January.
  • In 2022, exclusive matchups on ESPN+ will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • More than 1,000 out-of-market games will be available on ESPN+.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
On ESPN+ and Hulu

• ESPN+ will air one exclusive matchup every Tuesday from Oct. 19 to Dec. 28.
  • ESPN will have an exclusive Friday night matchup with Hulu until January.
  • In 2022, exclusive matchups on ESPN+ will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • More than 1,000 out-of-market games will be available on ESPN+.
Are you going to get to see your Rangers every game or are you blacked out?

I live in Florida and only Tampa and Florida Panthers are blacked out.
Well you’re good then. I’m in the DC area so 69 out of 82 games are on nbcsw, which Dish dropped. The rest are on ESPN, TNT etc.

Seems the only choice is to get Fubo or Hulu, both of which are around 60-70/month. I’m stuck with Dish because of the international programming my mother watches. So I’m at around $170/month with the second most basic core package. I don’t really want another 60 on top.

The other option is to get the international stuff on Sling, dump Dish, get Fios TV, and carry on. I already have Fios internet so it would be easy enough to switch. The hard part would be teaching my mother how to use streaming. Might not be possible.

Well you’re good then. I’m in the DC area so 69 out of 82 games are on nbcsw, which Dish dropped. The rest are on ESPN, TNT etc.

Seems the only choice is to get Fubo or Hulu, both of which are around 60-70/month. I’m stuck with Dish because of the international programming my mother watches. So I’m at around $170/month with the second most basic core package. I don’t really want another 60 on top.

The other option is to get the international stuff on Sling, dump Dish, get Fios TV, and carry on. I already have Fios internet so it would be easy enough to switch. The hard part would be teaching my mother how to use streaming. Might not be possible.
I would look into the Disney Bundle with Hulu TV and ESPN+. I presume your team is the Capitals. so you're probably blacked out, but you can watch any other team by their website. The closer the season gets which is tomorrow the more it comes clearer what ESPN+ has.

This ESPN deal might have been good to make money for the NHL but as a fan - as far as I'm concerned - so far - ESPN doesn't hold a candle to the DISH Center Ice/ NHL.TV setup.

Last night's games on TNT not available on the archive as was with NHL.TV.

Also, so far, ESPN+ games don't have the choice to either watch LIVE or Start from the beginning. If you follow several teams, sometimes you don't want to be live if you're switching and want to see your other team from the beginning.

Yeah, I know that's being picky - but it was good before. This is another one of those things where it wasn't broke and they tried to fix it - but failed.

Reactions: Yespage
Well, it is approx. $100 LESS than what you paid for it last year. So there's that. ;)
True. At least for the time being. Apparently Disney (ESPN owner) is trying to figure out how to monetize their ESPN holding. According to the following article - ESPN garners high carriage rates from cable, Direct and DISH. But as people cut the cord, Disney has to resort to a much lower rate per user - check out this article from CNBC (I've included a few of the more salient quotes from the article).

Once the price increases affect the price we're paying to include NHL games, consider that ESPN+ doesn't give us the pre and post game shows as NHL.TV did. Also, in my opinion, they still don't know how to mike the arena properly. In many of the games, especially on ESPN+, the announcers are real loud and the ambient sounds of puck passing, body checks and even the whistles cutting off play are barely audible. Anyway - the article is a good read:

Here are some of the comments in the article:

While Disney makes more than $10 a month per subscriber for sports, it makes far less for entertainment networks such as Disney Channel and FX, which draw lower audiences and don’t command high advertising rates. <snip>

Swapping an ESPN subscriber for an ESPN+ customer, who contributes average revenue of less than $5 per month, is a significant loss for Disney. ESPN+ is a streaming service with limited content. <snip>

ESPN’s strategy is to cling to the cable bundle for as long as possible, knowing it can draw potentially billions of dollars from U.S. households that are each paying $120 for the network even if they never watch it. <snip>

ESPN has to figure out how to make up $3 billion in annual lost pay-TV subscription revenue that’s coming in the next few years as cord-cutting continues, a decline that Disney executives are anticipating, according to people familiar with the matter.

Disney’s plan is to incrementally raise the price of ESPN+ as it adds more valuable content while maintaining contractual obligations for exclusive programming to pay-TV distributors, the people said. <snip>

Levy, who’s now chairman of data firm Genius Sports, said he thinks Disney can get 30 million customers to pay $30 a month for streaming ESPN, or more than double the cost for a standard Netflix subscription. That would bring in $10.8 billion annually — more than Disney makes today from pay-TV affiliate revenue.

Disney’s plan is to incrementally raise the price of ESPN+ as it adds more valuable content while maintaining contractual obligations for exclusive programming to pay-TV distributors, the people said. <snip>
and when pay-TV distributors say we Want to make ESPN an premium channel or we may just drop ESPN in full?

Has anyone tested using a VPN with ESPN+ to change their location?
Yes. I tried it on my desktop. Although using a VPN has worked with other networks, ESPN+ pops up a message that says "you may be using a VPN". Looks like I'm out of luck when NY teams play anybody in California.

• Sad
Reactions: NYDutch
Yes. I tried it on my desktop. Although using a VPN has worked with other networks, ESPN+ pops up a message that says "you may be using a VPN". Looks like I'm out of luck when NY teams play anybody in California.
The next visit shift ought to be away from blackouts and exclusivity in home markets as people continue to move away from linear TV and the RSN market collapses.

Reactions: chuckster_dude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts