2022-2023 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conference Re Alignment has ben a Huge development ...

We've had mostly the SEC and the Big Ten Expand ... and the rest say, WTH happened and where do we go next. (that was the Big 12 and Pac 12 mostly)

Still unknown what the ACC will do .... My guess is some will merge with the SEC, eventually.

The Big Ten is in a holding pattern waiting on Stubborn ND to determine if they will Really be left out of the Playoffs if they don't join a conference permanently this time.
ND wants to keep thier Status as it is .... but be allowed to be in the Playoff conversation when they are good enough.
Basically, they want thier Cake and be able to EAT it too.

They are arrogant enough to expect that to happen.

In reality, they should join the Big Ten ....
They may say that they go to the ACC because of thier (when they had no where else to go and be allowed to be in the Playoff Conversation,) they went there.

I wonder if the SEC would eventually offer them a spot ... ?

The Big Ten is in a holding pattern waiting on Stubborn ND to determine if they will Really be left out of the Playoffs if they don't join a conference permanently this time.
ND wants to keep thier Status as it is .... but be allowed to be in the Playoff conversation when they are good enough.
Basically, they want thier Cake and be able to EAT it too.

They are arrogant enough to expect that to happen.

In reality, they should join the Big Ten ....
They may say that they go to the ACC because of thier (when they had no where else to go and be allowed to be in the Playoff Conversation,) they went there.

I wonder if the SEC would eventually offer them a spot ... ?
Notre Dame has existing contracts in place and they may be waiting for them to expire (or at least the Early Termination Payments to be palpable). The NBC contract has a few more years (end of 2025) and the ESPN contract with the ACC good through 2036 says that if the Irish join a conference, it has to be the ACC (I wonder how that got in there?)

Me, personally, would like to see Notre Dame in the Big Ten, even if that makes Indiana the only state with three conference schools. We’re supposed to be the Basketball State, after all… ;)

Notre Dame has existing contracts in place and they may be waiting for them to expire (or at least the Early Termination Payments to be palpable). The NBC contract has a few more years (end of 2025) and the ESPN contract with the ACC good through 2036 says that if the Irish join a conference, it has to be the ACC (I wonder how that got in there?)

Me, personally, would like to see Notre Dame in the Big Ten, even if that makes Indiana the only state with three conference schools. We’re supposed to be the Basketball State, after all… ;)
The NBC contract is coming to an end, NBC's contract to ND is no where near what they would get moving to the Big Ten or SEC ...
The ACC is wondering HOW they got stuck in this long term contract till 2036 when the sport is changing so constant.
They are probably already trying to get out of that commitment.
That same ACC commitment may be why we haven't heard much about what Clemson will do ..
As for ND, I don't think the ACC contract will play out with them, if they decide they want out (ND) they will get out ...
Its just the ND way ... :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxbat
The NBC contract is coming to an end, NBC's contract to ND is no where near what they would get moving to the Big Ten or SEC ...
The ACC is wondering HOW they got stuck in this long term contract till 2036 when the sport is changing so constant.
They are probably already trying to get out of that commitment.
That same ACC commitment may be why we haven't heard much about what Clemson will do ..
As for ND, I don't think the ACC contract will play out with them, if they decide they want out (ND) they will get out ...
Its just the ND way ... :(
With Notre Dame's contract with NBC coming up, I wonder if the ACC could use the inclusion of Notre Dame's games into their package to renegotiate their contract with ESPN?

Personally I think that ESPN and the ACC are talking about a new deal that will make the ACC lucrative for some of the Big 12 (or even PAC 12) teams to move over in order to weaken their position with Fox Sports. With the Big Ten being aligned with Fox Sports, it's in ESPN's interest to have a strong SEC and ACC.

- Notre Dame. Has never really made from NBC what if could have made from a conference package. It is not about that, it is about being on OTA TV for every home game, even if they are not that good; and about making up its own schedule with lots of neutral site games and plenty of cupcakes, as they know they will always be the highest rated team with the same record.

- UCLA. Politicians pontificate. Nothing will come of this.

- ACC. The “grant of rights” saved this conference. But everything expires eventually.

- Big 12. Is no longer a major conference. That simple.

- Notre Dame. Has never really made from NBC what if could have made from a conference package. It is not about that, it is about being on OTA TV for every home game, even if they are not that good; and about making up its own schedule with lots of neutral site games and plenty of cupcakes, as they know they will always be the highest rated team with the same record.
The Irish are looking to get $75 million in their next contract with NBC, none of which they have to share, so they have no need to join a conference.
Hard to say. Unlike most other States, the UC schools are actually one university (University of California) with multiple campuses. So the Board of Regents could easily block the move if UCLA's move is detrimental to Cal.
- ACC. The “grant of rights” saved this conference. But everything expires eventually.
True, other wise UNC, Virginia, and possibly GT would be headed to the Big Ten with Clempson and FSU to the SEC.
Same with the Pac12.

One of two things. UCLA stays in the Pac 12 (along with USC who won't want to move alone), or Cal (possibly in combination with Stanford) goes along for the ride.
I think USC will be in the Big 10 .... as they have Nothing to do with the UCLA "System" .

I think Cal and Washington and Stanford and Oregon will eventually come along (possibly only 2 of them, depends on timing) or maybe they will go with the Big 12+

ND thought they had the rest of the NCAA football in a position that ND would come out ahead with thier NBC contract, but I think they are now starting to see that they could make a Whole lot more money with a conference.

ND will now want that Money while staying INDEPENDANT, someone needs to tell the arrogant Domers that they can't have thier Cake and Eat it too ...

Reactions: SamCdbs
ND will now want that Money while staying INDEPENDANT, someone needs to tell the arrogant Domers that they can't have thier Cake and Eat it too ...
They need to, but they won't be able to, as NBC will be throwing money at the in 2025 when the contract comes up for renewal.

Schools are not going to refuse to schedule Notre Dame (guaranteed sell out), so the Irish can easily build an independent schedule. And if the ACC ever tried to force them to join in football, the Irish can easily move back to the Big East for everything else.

Reactions: AZ.
They need to, but they won't be able to, as NBC will be throwing money at the in 2025 when the contract comes up for renewal.

Schools are not going to refuse to schedule Notre Dame (guaranteed sell out), so the Irish can easily build an independent schedule. And if the ACC ever tried to force them to join in football, the Irish can easily move back to the Big East for everything else.
I'm not sure about your idea ...
I don't think NBC will be able to come any where close to what the Big 10 is offering the schools in the conference.

I think ND might actually consider joining a conference ....
That conference won't be the ACC, quite possibly gone by then.
Big East, I'd rather be Independent than in a smaller conference (football wise) thats what makes most of the money.

Don't know which way all this will go, just speculating what may happen ...

ND has a free 2 years before they need to step up to the plate and play ball.

It will be fun to watch .

(Personally, I would be happy if ND chose to join the Big 10 and they turned them down ... (that won't happen, (sec not want them too) but it would finally put them in thier place)

Well ND may want $75M, right now it is getting $15M. I always wanted to be an astronaut. Wanting and getting are two different things. That kind of increase is unprecedented and considering the rotten economy and the new quasi-professional status of college sports, a big risk for NBC.

By contrast to ND's $15M, each SEC school, still under its older contract with a big bump coming in two years when the CBS deal expires and Disney pays yet more for the whole league, get $54M each. Likewise its $54M for the Big 10. Each, and likewise, they are looking at a huge bump from their new contract.

Latest rumor, I discount it, has ND dumping its relationship with the ACC, for a deal with the remnant Big 12, which will give them a basketball, et al, home and let them play a handful of the leftovers in the Big 12 per year in football and thus remain independent.

Feels like this is realigning into just two conferences of Division I.

Thats the feeling I get as well ....
However, I think eventually it will become the North vs the South conferences.
Or the North/West Conference and then the good schools conference. ;)

I'm not sure about your idea ...
I don't think NBC will be able to come any where close to what the Big 10 is offering the schools in the conference.
Why not? As it's only 1 school, the total price tag is far cheaper than any of the Power 5 conference packages, and keeps NBC in college football while ESPN & Fox has all the other conference deals. Win win for both NBC and Notre Dame.
I think ND might actually consider joining a conference ....
That conference won't be the ACC, quite possibly gone by then.
Only if the ACC is actually gone, as a clause in their current contract states that if they join a conference it has to be the ACC, a contract that runs until 2036.
Big East, I'd rather be Independent than in a smaller conference (football wise) thats what makes most of the money.
Big East doesn't sponsor football, which makes it a safe home for an Independent Notre Dame. Same as the first time they were in the original Big East.

Why not? As it's only 1 school, the total price tag is far cheaper than any of the Power 5 conference packages, and keeps NBC in college football while ESPN & Fox has all the other conference deals. Win win for both NBC and Notre Dame.

Only if the ACC is actually gone, as a clause in their current contract states that if they join a conference it has to be the ACC, a contract that runs until 2036.

Big East doesn't sponsor football, which makes it a safe home for an Independent Notre Dame. Same as the first time they were in the original Big East.
NBC is currently giving them 15M, ND is asking for 75M to stay ....
Those two figures are miles apart ...

I think I read the Big Ten is giving thier schools 100M

• Wow
Reactions: Yespage
Status
Not open for further replies.