2023-2024 NCAA Football Thread

Enjoy this one Big Ten and Michigan fans.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSUwDiSUPR4

My step father’s mustache is exactly the same on that guy.

Yes, he did graduate from Michigan, which he has never failed to tell anyone that never asked.

Should of pinned it on him.

Or how many times he would bring up my wife and I getting our degrees from Eastern, instead of a real university like Michigan.

Historically several bowl games were played on New Years Eve, such as the Fiesta and Peach.

Ratings due to the date were never an issue, ratings due to matchups were.

The only reason they didn't do the bowls on New Years Eve this year was because it was a Sunday, and their ratings would have been crushed by NFL games. That was the same reason they didn't play them on New Years Day last year.
They should NEVER be played on NYE .... period.

They lose a TON of Eyeballs due to other plans for the day.

They lose a TON of Eyeballs due to other plans for the day.
You sure about that? Because the typical college football audience isn't watching the dick clark countdown until close to midnight. And if they're out, they're watching it on the sports bar tv.

Last years Georgia-Ohio State Peach Bowl game had great ratings.

Saturday’s Georgia-Ohio State CFP semifinal at the Peach Bowl averaged a 9.8 rating and 22.45 million viewers on the ESPN family of networks, marking the most-watched CFP semifinal since the Georgia-Oklahoma Rose Bowl five years ago (26.9M).

You sure about that? Because the typical college football audience isn't watching the dick clark countdown until close to midnight. And if they're out, they're watching it on the sports bar tv.

Last years Georgia-Ohio State Peach Bowl game had great ratings.

Reactions: Foxbat
IMO, a good football game (college or pro) is great to have on New Years Eve as it gives us something to watch while waiting for midnight, especially as the musical countdown (dick clark/ryan seaquest) are not my thing.
When something can break 20 Million in today’s world, it is considered great ratings.

And Jimbo should know, not fair to compare today’s ratings, NY Eve or not, to just a few years ago, when Cable/Satellite had a lot more subscribers

Here are this season ratings-

IMG_1073.png

Reactions: Derwin0
Now compare the games on the Late game when played on NYE ...
There was no Major game on NYE this past year, as that was a Sunday I believe and the NFL scores Big regardless.

There was no Major game on NYE this past year, as that was a Sunday I believe and the NFL scores Big regardless.
I did in my first response to Derwin, in the link, on Dec.31, 2022 played after 8pm, Peach Bowl averaged 22.4 million viewers ( a lot more then Dec.30, 2023), but it was a playoff game, nor fair to compare to Dec.30, 2023, non-playoffs.

Amazed you do not remember that game and what time it played.

You can google all the info yourself, games on New Year’s Eve in past years have had good/great ratings, but they also had more subscribers then.

Lastly, the ratings for Dec.30/2023 games on ESPN, I do not know if they include ESPN+, first year they were on the streaming service, I will check my work computer when I get a chance.

The Georgia-Ohio State game was a late game on New Years Eve. The field goal miss at the end of the game was just after midnight.
Yes, the NFL had great ratings on New Years Eve. Same as the NCAA does every other year when it's not on Sunday.

People like to watch football on New Years Eve.

:p

….and welcome to the Big Ten Washington.

Reactions: satjay
Congratulations to the Michigan Wolverines.

Michigan played Very well, better than I expected.

Next year will be like No other year, with Massive expansion happening everywhere, changing to No Divisions and going to 12 teams in a Playoff .. (personally I think its Too many teams, but well see.)

Reactions: Foxbat and satjay
Congratulations to the Michigan Wolverines.

Michigan played Very well, better than I expected.

Next year will be like No other year, with Massive expansion happening everywhere, changing to No Divisions and going to 12 teams in a Playoff .. (personally I think its Too many teams, but well see.)
Im sure FSU would disagree with you.

Reactions: Foxbat and Derwin0
Why would FSU disagree ???
You dont think they deserved a shot at a National Championship? To many years there is 1 to 4 teams that deserve to try. Some teams are going down that get it, some are playing at a high level but failed early. I have no problem with giving more teams opportunities.

Reactions: Derwin0
Nick Saban has retired.
Here's a link to the story.

"The University of Alabama has been a very special place to Terry and me. We have enjoyed every minute of our 17 years being the head coach at Alabama as well as becoming a part of the Tuscaloosa community. It is not just about how many games we won and lost, but it's about the legacy and how we went about it. We always tried to do it the right way. The goal was always to help players create more value for their future, be the best player they could be and be more successful in life because they were part of the program. Hopefully, we have done that, and we will always consider Alabama our home."