2023-2024 NCAA Football Thread

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
So, if Florida State loses ( doubtful) and of course Washington or Oregon, there is a chance for Ohio State.

Surprised Oregon leap frogged them.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
If Washington loses, then Oregon will leap over Ohio State (if they don't this week) to take Washington's spot. Pac 12 winner is almost guaranteed to be in.

Ohio State needs FSU and probably Texas to lose, as Texas could also leap them next week if they win the Big 12 championship.

A Georgia loss would actually hurt them, as it would make Alabama (beating Georgia) and Texas (beat Alabama) look better. For that reason, Texas is pulling for Alabama.
This is how I see it as well ....

Buckeyes would need Texas and FSU to lose and Bama as well ....
FSU, ya just never know, being without thier Starting QB.
Bama and Georgia could go either way ... I've actually been impressed with Bama QB, he's come a long ways since the beginning of the season .... Runs more than most Bama Qbs, but that creates holes to throw as well ...
That said, they should have 2 or 3 losses already this year ...

Texas vs Ok State ... ya never know .

Remember, it all Starts Friday night with Oregon and Washington

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
So, if Florida State loses ( doubtful) and of course Washington or Oregon, there is a chance for Ohio State.

Surprised Oregon leap frogged them.
I'm not surprised, Oregon crushed Oregon State last night, and has more ranked wins than Ohio State. Pollsters also think they'll beat Washington next week.

Bruce

Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
I'm not surprised, Oregon crushed Oregon State last night,
They were 8-3 (now 4), they should of been crushed, Ohio State kept it close.
and has more ranked wins than Ohio State. Pollsters also think they'll beat Washington next week.
They may of been ranked when Oregon played them, not now, with the exceptions of Washington (loss) and Oregon State (win).

Derwin0

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
They were 8-3 (now 4), they should of been crushed, Ohio State kept it close.
That is what hurts them, Notre Dame was close, Oregon State wasn't.
They may of been ranked when Oregon played them, not now, with the exceptions of Washington (loss) and Oregon State (win).
Arizona is still ranked at #14

Just looked at current AP standings, they both beat 2 currently ranked teams, and lost to a top 4 team in a close game. So the resume's are similar. Where Oregon's is different is they made it to their conference championship game and have the change to avenge their single loss (which the pollster seem to think will happen).

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
That is what hurts them, Notre Dame was close, Oregon State wasn't.

Arizona is still ranked at #14

Just looked at current AP standings, they both beat 2 currently ranked teams, and lost to a top 4 team in a close game. So the resume's are similar. Where Oregon's is different is they made it to their conference championship game and have the change to avenge their single loss (which the pollster seem to think will happen).
Fwiw, Next year, where there won't be divisions, Ohio State would have made the Big Ten Championship game.
Thier record is better than the BT West champ.

AZ.

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 26, 2011
crazy
Fwiw, Next year, where there won't be divisions, Ohio State would have made the Big Ten Championship game.
Thier record is better than the BT West champ.
Isnt it next year the playoffs go to 8? And USC and UCLA are part of the Big10?

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Isnt it next year the playoffs go to 8? And USC and UCLA are part of the Big10?
Playoffs go to 12 next year ...
Yes, UCLA and USC will joining.
Still going to No divisions.

For that matter, for the past probably 10 years, Ohio State and Michigan or Penn State would have played in the Conference Championship game, had there not been divisions.

The West division has NEVER Won.

Reactions: AZ.

Derwin0

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
For that matter, for the past probably 10 years, Ohio State and Michigan or Penn State would have played in the Conference Championship game, had there not been divisions.

The West division has NEVER Won.

Which really hurts the Big Ten, as it shows there’s only 3 good teams in the entire league. Which becomes evident when they play against teams from other conferences *cough*sec*cough* in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Which really hurts the Big Ten, as it shows there’s only 3 good teams in the entire league. Which becomes evident when they play against teams from other conferences *cough*sec*cough* in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except theres generally only 3 good teams in the sec as well ....
Georgia, Bama and 1 other that does well out of the bunch ... this year it happened to be ... LSU's turn.

So, don't say its the poor play from the BT.

Iirc, the BT beat the sec in most of the bowl game recently.

Reactions: AZ.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Except theres generally only 3 good teams in the sec as well ....
Georgia, Bama and 1 other that does well out of the bunch ... this year it happened to be ... LSU's turn.
And Missouri, and Ole miss. Thats five teams in the top 15.

Reactions: Derwin0

Derwin0

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
And Missouri, and Ole miss. Thats five teams in the top 15.
And the SEC has had 5 different teams be National Champions in the last several years. 6 if we go back to Tennessee at the dawn of the BCS. The Big Ten has only managed 1 in the entire BCS and CFP stretch. And we all know what happens when the Big Ten plays the SEC in a Playoff or National Championship.

Bruce

Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
And we all know what happens when the Big Ten plays the SEC in a Playoff or National Championship.
Unfortunately, if Michigan and Georgia makes it to the Championship, doubtful it will be any different, but I can hope.

Derwin0

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Unfortunately, if Michigan and Georgia makes it to the Championship, doubtful it will be any different, but I can hope.
I'm wondering if Michigan can make it past Oregon, or even if Georgia can for that matter as Oregon has been playing very good lately.

Derwin0

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
My thoughts on teams chances to get into the Playoffs.

1. Georgia - Simple, just win the conference championship game
  2. Michigan - The Wolverines are in, win or lose, as Ohio State won't jump over them so that gives them a floor of #4. Probably the only team that's guaranteed a slot.
  3. Washington - Simple, just win the conference championship game against Oregon
  4. FSU - Win the conference championship and hope the committee keeps it's previous stance of not punishing teams for injuries
  5. Oregon - Simple, just win the conference championship game against Washington
  6. Ohio State - Here's where things get into what if's due to the teams not controlling their own destinies. Ohio State just need FSU to lose. Also helps if Georgia beats Alabama so there's no chance of Texas and/or Alabama jumping above them based on Alabama beating #1 Georgia. Ohio State also needs Michigan to win, sad as it may feel for the Buckeyes, they need their mortal enemy to win.
  7. Texas - Win the conference championship game and have both FSU and Georgia.
  8. Alabama - Beat Georgia and have both FSU and Texas lose, because otherwise Texas will be in over them due to losing to Texas at home earlier in the season.
I don't see how more chaos would help any other teams get in.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
My thoughts on teams chances to get into the Playoffs.

1. Georgia - Simple, just win the conference championship game
  2. Michigan - The Wolverines are in, win or lose, as Ohio State won't jump over them so that gives them a floor of #4. Probably the only team that's guaranteed a slot.
  3. Washington - Simple, just win the conference championship game against Oregon
  4. FSU - Win the conference championship and hope the committee keeps it's previous stance of not punishing teams for injuries
  5. Oregon - Simple, just win the conference championship game against Washington
  6. Ohio State - Here's where things get into what if's due to the teams not controlling their own destinies. Ohio State just need FSU to lose. Also helps if Georgia beats Alabama so there's no chance of Texas and/or Alabama jumping above them based on Alabama beating #1 Georgia. Ohio State also needs Michigan to win, sad as it may feel for the Buckeyes, they need their mortal enemy to win.
  7. Texas - Win the conference championship game and have both FSU and Georgia.
  8. Alabama - Beat Georgia and have both FSU and Texas lose, because otherwise Texas will be in over them due to losing to Texas at home earlier in the season.
I don't see how more chaos would help any other teams get in.
First of All ...

None of this is Simple ...

Georgia should beat Bama, however, Bama is playing its Best Football now
Can't imagine me ever rooting for either team, but someone has to win ... Go Georgia

TTUN had better beat Iowa .... then again, memories of TCU keep popping up.

Washington and Oregon may be a Classic ... here's hoping that Washington wins.

FSU, provided they win thier CCG they should be in, doing it without thier Starting QB will draw a lot of fans to pull for them.

Oregon needs to win, just like Washington does ... one of these will be In.

Ohio State, they could beat every team out there if they happen to have enough dominos fall, but I don 't see that happening.
IF they had last years QB, I would see them as the favorites, but they don't ... QB play and O-line inconsistencies has been thier downfall this year ... O line play cost them against TTUN for several years now.

Texas is also in the same boat as Ohio State, having to see how many others drop thier game.
They have the Win over Bama, thats keeping them where they are ...

Bama, Playing very good ball as well as very Lucky ball, may give Georgia a good game.

IF Bama should beat Georgia, will the Committee move them from #8 all the way into the top 4 ??????
I don't see Bama blowing out Georgia, so I say No. (and again theres Texas that would have something to say about it)
Then again if Texas should lose, would the committee also drop Bama as thier over all resume would also be diminished.)

Derwin0

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Then again if Texas should lose, would the committee also drop Bama as thier over all resume would also be diminished.)
If Texas loses, then Alabama will inherit their spot as next in line. With Ohio State likely getting the 4 spot due to Georgia dropping below Alabama, Alabama still needs FSU to lose.