2023 NASCAR

So I’m trying to watch college basketball on FS1 and this race is going long. What a stupid way to end a race. Just race to the finish.

Indeed. Can't end a race at 500 miles under yellow, but you can completely ruin the outcome of the race for dozens of cars with a bonus 25 miles and then under yellow.

It was looking like maybe this could finish under green before 500 miles passed, but that went away and we were left with that.

Another race ruined by the idiotic decision to end racing back to the caution. Racing back to the caution was 100% safe and produced great drama. The GWC is weak substitute for the proper method of racing.

Another race ruined by the idiotic decision to end racing back to the caution. Racing back to the caution was 100% safe and produced great drama.
Great drama? I'd prefer an outright outcome at 500 miles instead of a "what's left" approach to finishing a race.

The two column restarts is a problem, especially when cars need to be touching each other to generate enough aerodynamics to pass. But I suppose people like that. Sadly, that makes it into high octane bumper cars, especially on the finishes which absolutely kills the racing. These finishes effectively make the first 490 miles completely without purpose.
The GWC is weak substitute for the proper method of racing.
It certainly sucks. Cars having to pit and losing space on the track to make it a distance of 525 miles is ridiculously stupid. Even worse to be 8th at 500 miles and then much worse than 8th at the "end" of the race.

Exactly. Totally safe. Totally interesting.
Except it wasn’t safe.
Funny how the rule has been in place for 20 years and now you have an issue with it??

NASCAR didn’t have to throw the yellow but with the amount of cars in the wreck they had to. Does it suck? Sure
But no different than numerous other races where this happened (including the Xfinity race the previous day)

Except it wasn’t safe.
Funny how the rule has been in place for 20 years and now you have an issue with it??

NASCAR didn’t have to throw the yellow but with the amount of cars in the wreck they had to. Does it suck? Sure
But no different than numerous other races where this happened (including the Xfinity race the previous day)
Why not just red flag clear the track and go again.

Why not end it at the scheduled distance of 200 laps even if that means end under caution
Because that's the way real races are run and NASCAR left that arena behind several years ago. Staged racing? Can you imagine a 100 yard dash run in 25 yard stages? The Kentucky Derby run in 1/4 pole stages? The Boston Marathon run in 1 mile stages? It's absurd. There's a reason Formula 1 racing is poised to surpass Nascar in popularity and it's no mystery why. I've been a fan since the Fireball Roberts days but I'm done with this joke.

Reactions: Jimbo and harshness
Then you have a link to the reports of all the terrible accidents. Link please.
I'm curious, how many times it needs to be a problem before NASCAR should not manage it? Fuel doesn't commonly spray into the crowd either at Indy. Time to put people right next to the fence again?

The ending of that race sucked for far more reasons than not racing back to the checker after the yellow came out.

I'm curious, how many times it needs to be a problem before NASCAR should not manage it? Fuel doesn't commonly spray into the crowd either at Indy. Time to put people right next to the fence again?

The ending of that race sucked for far more reasons than not racing back to the checker after the yellow came out.
What’s the point of running 30 extra laps only to end in another caution.

Nice wikipedia article. That doesn't list any actual major accidents caused by racing back to the caution.

Hint: Because they never happened. Ultra-safe.