20th anniversary of "World Series Earthquake"

KCK_Halo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It was 20 years ago this evening when the Loma Prieta earthquake struck Northern California killing 67 people. It is most remembered for the "live" recording of it on television as the 3rd game between Oakland and San Fransisco was just getting underway. It was 5:04PM PDT.

Who remembers this event? Were you watching or listening to it as it happened?

Here's a bit of trivia...attending the ballgame as an ESPN analyst was none other than Joe Torre! There are many photos of Joe in the parking area of the stadium assisting those in need.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOAP8p7ux_Y"]YouTube - 1989 San Francisco Earthquake - World Series footage[/ame]

I was at home getting ready to root against the Giants. While watching the highlights shown from the previous game with a closeup of Conseco scoring when I heard Al Michaels say, I believe we are having an earthquake (paraphrasing) and the TV suddenly went to snow. I ran out and told my dad that an earthquake just hit SF.

Interestingly, the earthquake at the epicenter was not considered a major on and miles away in SF the magnitude was far less. It wasn't the earthquake itself that was all that damaging, it was the liquefaction effect in the low lying areas near the bay that caused much of the damage.

7.0 - 7.9 is considered a great earthquake, not a major one.

I was watching when it happened. They weren't on there for very long at all before it went blank on the screen.

I was watching too and my wife came in the room a little later and told me it was time to go to the hospital because she was ready to deliver our child. Quite a memory.

I was .... " In a Bar in Toledo " ... getting ready to play, as they say.
The WS game, pregame was on the screen above the bar .... the crowd wanted to hear : The Earth Shook Under My Feet ....
of all things, of course we didn't play it and watched while it all developed.

I remember this as a kid, watching and not really understanding the magnitude of the situation. Being more concerned with the game and upset about the cancelled game(s), I thought the earthquake, in some childish way, was very cool.

I was a very big McGwire fan, and wanted nothing more then for them to win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)