21.0 IR/UHF remote seems to be dead

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
We have a remote in a room that is rarely used so I took the batteries out of the remote. When we had company but when I went to use the remote but not even the SAT/TV/DVD etc buttons will light up. I changed the batteries even though the old batteries checked good with a battery tester. It won't pair with the receiver which is no surprise since the lights won't even work. The batteries are in correctly, I even flipped them around to see if the diagram was wrong.

I purchased this remote several months ago (I think from Dish) an it's been sitting on a shelf without batteries except for a few hours. It's not like it's been dropped on the floor several times so it's sort of irking me.

Is there any hope for this brand new hardly used remote?

p/n 173954

Thanks

Reactions: charlesrshell
We have a remote in a room that is rarely used so I took the batteries out of the remote. When we had company but when I went to use the remote but not even the SAT/TV/DVD etc buttons will light up. I changed the batteries even though the old batteries checked good with a battery tester. It won't pair with the receiver which is no surprise since the lights won't even work. The batteries are in correctly, I even flipped them around to see if the diagram was wrong.

I purchased this remote several months ago (I think from Dish) an it's been sitting on a shelf without batteries except for a few hours. It's not like it's been dropped on the floor several times so it's sort of irking me.

Is there any hope for this brand new hardly used remote?

p/n 173954

Thanks
Hey there! If you've changed out the batteries (double checking the placement) and the SAT/TV/AUX buttons aren't lighting up, please call or chat with our teams at mydish.com/support/contact so we can look into replacement options!

Thank you for the reply. However I take it that the answer is that my remote is dead even though it doesn't even have finger prints on it. I confirmed that it was ordered late December 2019 from DISH and probably has less than an hours use on it :-(.

Thank you for the reply. However I take it that the answer is that my remote is dead even though it doesn't even have finger prints on it. I confirmed that it was ordered late December 2019 from DISH and probably has less than an hours use on it :-(.
Electronics fail... Sometimes right out of the box. Dish is offering to rectify it. Why not take them up on it?

Electronics fail... Sometimes right out of the box. Dish is offering to rectify it. Why not take them up on it?
Sorry, but I don't they have anything in mind other than a sales pitch for a new contract which isn't my version of rectifying the situation.

There are 4 remotes in the Dish store and one of them is out of stock. Would any of them work with the UHF section of a VIP222K? Probably not, so the rectification would be, "MR. X we'd be happy to sell you a new contract..."

So I'll avoid that call, especially since if it were totally up to me we wouldn't have any satellite or cable service at all. I'll keep the remainder of my opinions to myself.

IF I get another remote it'll probably have to be from an online retailer, but at this point I'll probably just drop the subject. Sorry to have wasted people's time.

And yes, I do realize that electronics may fail right out of the box but it really sucks that it worked when I put it away and now it doesn't.

Sorry, but I don't they have anything in mind other than a sales pitch for a new contract which isn't my version of rectifying the situation.

There are 4 remotes in the Dish store and one of them is out of stock. Would any of them work with the UHF section of a VIP222K? Probably not, so the rectification would be, "MR. X we'd be happy to sell you a new contract..."

So I'll avoid that call, especially since if it were totally up to me we wouldn't have any satellite or cable service at all. I'll keep the remainder of my opinions to myself.

IF I get another remote it'll probably have to be from an online retailer, but at this point I'll probably just drop the subject. Sorry to have wasted people's time.

And yes, I do realize that electronics may fail right out of the box but it really sucks that it worked when I put it away and now it doesn't.

You can get them on ebay or Amazon.

I took my remote apart since it was deemed that my new remote was dead. When I did, a chuck of white stone like material fell out from the negative battery ‘coils’ that are up inside of the remote. I also noted what looked like scorch marks on the circuit board under each ‘coil’.

The remote now works after hitting it with electronic cleaner, lightly sanding the coils so they are bright, and reassembling.

Thinking that the white material was corrosion from a leaking battery; which I can’t explain since the remote is stored without any, I made a paste of baking soda and water. I expected that the paste would fizz when placing the stone like material in it but nothing happened. So what is it? I don’t know.

Maybe my testing was under a false impression or the material was left over from when the remote was made, or refurbished. I don’t know if the remote was new when I received it from DISH or not.

Either way it now works :).

Attachments

• remote3.png
    remote3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 72