21.1 remote responsiveness

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tugboat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Okay, for years I've been using the 6.x series UHF remotes with our 722 units. Two of them started acting up, so we finally called Dish and had them replaced. What we were sent were the newer 21.1 remotes. Upon setting them up, we noticed that they are much less responsive and over half the time they miss a key press. It's getting really frustrating when you want channel 350 and end up with 30, or 50, or 35 because it didn't register. This is with both remotes and they have the same remote channels as the ones they replaced (even tried different channels). I can't tell you how many times I've almost thrown the darn thing across the room out of frustration. Sometimes I have to enter the channel number 3 times to get it right. Not to mention how much of a pain it is to navigate the menus and DVR lists.

Anyone have any clue as to why these remotes are doing this? I would think it was a bad remote, but these are two new units.

Thanks

I never experienced the problem. Are you using them as the TV2 remote? Could be some interference. Have you tried moving the antenna around or closer?

You can also try and adjust the UHF antenna on the back of the rcvr... Point it to the left or right, make sure it's good and hand tight and see if it works better. If not putting an extension on the antenna (3-4ft coax cable) to raise the antenna to a higher position might help but you would need a barrel fitting "F-connecter" to attach the antenna to the cable.

My best suggestion is, make sure the remote antenna isn't loose and is not touching the power cord (weird, but it causes interference). Change the remote codes again to something like 18 and 22 (consistently strong for me). Also, sometimes the new 21 remotes are just resistant when you first get them and the buttons have to be loosened up over the first month

This issue is happening with two different remotes controlling two different 722s. One of the 722s has an extension on the UHF antenna already and I've tried many different positions. I'm using fresh batteries and have tried several different remote addresses. If I put the 6.3 remote back into service, I don't have this problem, but a couple of the buttons on the 6.3 are pretty much toast, so that's why they are no longer in use.

I guess I'm just going to have to find some NOS 6.3s or .4s on ebay.

Thanks for the input.

I'm about to replace my two ViP722s with Hoppers. I never used the Dish remotes, I use Harmony.

I could ship them to you, perhaps on Tuesday, just for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I just got off the phone with Dish. They're going to send me a new 21.1 and a 20.1 to see if either of them solve the problem. If they don't, I'll get back to you. If you still have them, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands for the cost of shipping. :)

Thanks!

I'm about to replace my two ViP722s with Hoppers. I never used the Dish remotes, I use Harmony.

I could ship them to you, perhaps on Tuesday, just for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I had same type of problem on a regular bases. I purchased and changed antenna to a longer UHF one (had to use adopters to connect it to my 722). It has helped but even with the change every so often it misses a number a number. I would change back to old remote but I want/need the learning functions on the new remote. You win some and lose some that's the trade off for me.

I am using an extension because the transformers for my Ethernet switch interfered with the UHF signal. It wasn't the same as I'm seeing now. With that issue, it was to dead zones for the remote. If I tried to use the remote pointed in a certain direction or elevation, it wouldn't work the box at all. After using a 3" coax and adapter to put the antenna on the end, the problem was solved.

I am using an extension because the transformers for my Ethernet switch interfered with the UHF signal. It wasn't the same as I'm seeing now. With that issue, it was to dead zones for the remote. If I tried to use the remote pointed in a certain direction or elevation, it wouldn't work the box at all. After using a 3" coax and adapter to put the antenna on the end, the problem was solved.

I was having trouble with my hopper remote. It would have to be at the right orientation to work. Cleared everything away from the hopper antenna which helped some.
Then a message popped up saying something about the red light on the cling. The sling had died so I removed it. This also fixed my remote problem.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I just got off the phone with Dish. They're going to send me a new 21.1 and a 20.1 to see if either of them solve the problem. If they don't, I'll get back to you. If you still have them, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands for the cost of shipping. :)

Thanks!

PM me if you want them- I might not be back to this thread.

Have you changed anything in the house, like a new router, or added any new wireless anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts