211 series receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The 211K does have 2 tuners, the Dish tuner as well as the OTA tuner. I often will record something off Dish and watch something OTA. No fees for the extra tuner. If you want to add an outboard HDD, there is the one time $40 access fee, but from then on you can add and remove an outboard HDD as often as you want. I am a widower, so having the 211k is perfect for me.

Same here and the $40 fee was waved when I activated the DVR function. One heads-up, if you need a service call for a replacement they're going to try to "upgrade" you to a Hopper. When they showed up with the Hopper I refused it and fortunately the tech had a 211k in the truck so he changed the ticket.

Reactions: pattykay
Same here and the $40 fee was waved when I activated the DVR function. One heads-up, if you need a service call for a replacement they're going to try to "upgrade" you to a Hopper. When they showed up with the Hopper I refused it and fortunately the tech had a 211k in the truck so he changed the ticket.
The same here for me, only my replacement was quite awhile back, and the tech showed up with a 211z, not a Hopper. I would have accepted the 211z if the tech also had the single-tuner OTA adapter. Since he didn't have that, I refused the 211z and got the tech to change it to a 211k instead.

Quick question for the VIP 211 owners (silver box): what is the current firmware available for this receiver? I pulled my old 211 out of retirement and it has L570. Even the “What’s on 61.5” (channel 9582) won’t let me watch the generic feed.

Edit: this is better:
98A7A6A8-A610-482A-BAE8-935C156CFAEE.jpeg

...and then: 303: Your receiver’s memory is now being programmed.

So I guess after the reboot I will know what the current firmware is for the VIP 211…

Answer: L574.

Last edited:
I finally replaced two 211s with 211ks a few weeks ago, but didn't recall the firmware.

I've stuck with the 211(k) as replacements for my 501. Everything I had when I got the 501 (single tuner DVR w/o fees) with extras like larger drive, OTA tuner, and HD.

And my DVR needs have decreased over time (now live events mostly) such that multi-tuner systems like the Hopper are even less worth the extra cost.

One question answered: The deactivated 211 is a silver brick without activation. The OTA channels cannot be viewed, likewise the 9582 channel isn't watchable. You can use it to aim the satellite and scan for ATSC locals, but that's all it's good for. It might play back programs off the EHD if I remembered where the 211's EHD was.

Anyway, the purpose of this exercise was to take this up to our vacation home to add to our PAYG account. I wanted to update the firmware ahead of time instead of during my vacation.

Scott Greczkowski, the SatelliteGuys.US Christmas Giveaway ViP 722k is still in use, entertaining my family during the summer months. Unfortunately, it looks like 2 ViP 211s in two rooms will be much cheaper in the long run than the ViP 722k and its $15 DVR fee.

One question answered: The deactivated 211 is a silver brick without activation. The OTA channels cannot be viewed, likewise the 9582 channel isn't watchable. You can use it to aim the satellite and scan for ATSC locals, but that's all it's good for. It might play back programs off the EHD if I remembered where the 211's EHD was.

Anyway, the purpose of this exercise was to take this up to our vacation home to add to our PAYG account. I wanted to update the firmware ahead of time instead of during my vacation.

Scott Greczkowski, the SatelliteGuys.US Christmas Giveaway ViP 722k is still in use, entertaining my family during the summer months. Unfortunately, it looks like 2 ViP 211s in two rooms will be much cheaper in the long run than the ViP 722k and its $15 DVR fee.
After you reactivate it, the ViP211 will continue to work for OTA and free preview channels after you deactivate it again, as long as you leave it plugged in and hooked up to a satellite signal. After being unplugged for a few months, it will completely lose its authorization for the free channels, as you found out.

Reactions: TheKrell
I think the last time I had checked on this 211 I could see the 61.5?W barker channel so I wondered why Dish doesn't have this in the clear. I figure the reason I couldn't watch the Dish Tips and Hints channel (103) was I wasn't pointed at 77?W. And, like you said, the receiver hadn't been connected to a dish for a couple years.

I think the last time I had checked on this 211 I could see the 61.5?W barker channel so I wondered why Dish doesn't have this in the clear. I figure the reason I couldn't watch the Dish Tips and Hints channel (103) was I wasn't pointed at 77?W. And, like you said, the receiver hadn't been connected to a dish for a couple years.
Channel 103 HD is only visible on Wally and Hopper-class receivers. The equivalent channel for older receivers is channel 101. The "What's on Dish?" 61.5 channel only has a plain white Dish logo on a black background with music playing, so you are not missing much there. :)

Reactions: bhawley
Are 211s still being activated for new customers? Are they still getting software updates from time to time?

I just spoke to a DISH Network customer service representative on the phone today (out of sheer curiosity,) and I was told that VIP211K receivers are still being activated. He said I could activate one on a new account. My question is are they still being leased from DISH, or do you have to buy your own box and have them activate it?

I just spoke to a DISH Network customer service representative on the phone today (out of sheer curiosity,) and I was told that VIP211K receivers are still being activated. He said I could activate one on a new account. My question is are they still being leased from DISH, or do you have to buy your own box and have them activate it?

Yep, still available. I just installed 3 last Saturday for a new customer who wanted them to feed his old VCR's with channel 3. :rolleyes:

Did you have any trouble getting past the horses he had tied up outside?
;)

LOL. Believe it or not that was the second customer in the last week that still used VCR's. I tried bringing up the advantages of a DVR to each and they both shut me down quickly. One of them had 1 HD TV and 2 old tubes and the other one had 4 old tubes and a turntable next to one of them. :p

They're still leasing them, as far as I know

Good to hear they haven't abandoned the VIPs just yet.

LOL. Believe it or not that was the second customer in the last week that still used VCR's. I tried bringing up the advantages of a DVR to each and they both shut me down quickly. One of them had 1 HD TV and 2 old tubes and the other one had 4 old tubes and a turntable next to one of them. :p

That's pretty funny, but I guess I can see where the customer is coming from, stuck in their ways, trying to save a dollar. Side note, wouldn't a VCR/DVD recorder not work for taping programs? When we had Cox Cable, some channels would throw up a broadcast flag on our recorder (Sony RDR-VX530) which said "cannot record copy-protected movie" and would not allow the timer to record the show. It's my understanding that some channels contain this hidden code to throw-off an external recorder. Does DISH practice this form of broadcast flagging? (i.e. Can you hook-up a DVD/VCR combo-box recorder to your receiver to successfully tape shows without your recorder throwing up a "copyright" message?) Now I'm trying to save a buck on DVR ;-)

That's pretty funny, but I guess I can see where the customer is coming from, stuck in their ways, trying to save a dollar. Side note, wouldn't a VCR/DVD recorder not work for taping programs? When we had Cox Cable, some channels would throw up a broadcast flag on our recorder (Sony RDR-VX530) which said "cannot record copy-protected movie" and would not allow the timer to record the show. It's my understanding that some channels contain this hidden code to throw-off an external recorder. Does DISH practice this form of broadcast flagging? (i.e. Can you hook-up a DVD/VCR combo-box recorder to your receiver to successfully tape shows without your recorder throwing up a "copyright" message?) Now I'm trying to save a buck on DVR ;-)
I never once had a copyright flag restriction come up when I recorded content to my DVD recorder from Dish. I haven't used it since 2016 though, since moving on to a Hauppauge HD recorder.

Reactions: JSheridan and STDog
If it ain't broke...

I have a turntable, VCR, and dual cassette deck under the 55" LED display, running through the $2k AVR driving $5k speakers.

Like dare2be said I haven't seen any problems recording shows but I haven't tried it in recent past. :)

Reactions: Demetrax1
I have a stand alone DVD recorder and I can record anything that is not encrypted, from any A/V source. Of course it will only be in 480, but still better than the pq of a VCR. Finding a Blu Ray DVD recorder would be tough. I guess they were built in Asia, but never imported into the U.S.

Reactions: Demetrax1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)