211K Activated DVR With 1.5tb HD

Jimmerinwi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Midwest
I was under the impression that the max was a 1tb hard drive for the 211k.. I was shopping for a HD, the 1tb was $80 and for an extra $10 I got a 1.5tb never thinking that they say the max is 1tb. I activated the 1.5 anyway and my record time is HD: 145hr 45 min, and SD: 591hr 0 min.. Haven't recorded anything yet so I don't know if it'll chew up more space than normal with the bigger HD. Maybe they up the capability? Sure hope they did, that's an awful amount of record time!! :)

maybe it only formatted 1TB worth?

edit: maybe not...I know on my 500gb drive it shows approx 50 hrs of HD possible...so times that by 3 and it may be right ;)

I thought I saw some release notes for the 211 that expanded the limit to 2GB.

The only thing I've heard was that it depended on the drive... some 1.5's might work, while others didn't and that most 1TB's were fine.. Either way ... Great to have 1.5TB as an option... :)

still not getting connected to DishSupport.
"Welcome, server migration in process..."​

is all I get... :(
Huh. Works for me now at 1:30 EDT. Michael's earlier warning stated that response would be sporadic.

Here's the relevant line from the above URL.

ViP 211 - L563
SRS Volume Leveling, TV Ratings Changes, HDMI Autodetect, Pop-up Rework, Live Sports Themes, PPV Rental Indicator, 2TB Limit for EHD.

I wish they'd call it a "DVR Conversion", rather than "EHD".

Found it. ;) http://www.dishsupport.com/dish-net...es/11087-software-release-notes-week-8-a.html DishSupport was offline for an upgrade this evening, or I would have posted the link earlier.

All I get when I click on that link is an error 404.

As far as drives larger than 1tb on the 211k, it didn't work last time I tried. But that was probably 9 or 10 months ago. I tried a 2tb drive. The receiver wouldn't even attempt to format it, it just popped up a message about 1tb being the limit.

I wonder if there's been a firmware upgrade to allow it. Maybe that "error 404" link would have told me, lol.

Edit; I ended up using a 1tb drive, it listed right under 100 hrs of HD time when it was empty. So I agree with with Iceberg, that 145 hrs would be about right for 1.5tb.

Re-Edit; Never mind. Not sure how I missed TheKrell's last quote. That says it all.

Last edited:
Dishsupport.com is still down for upgrades/system maintenance. Hence the Error 404 message.

Dishsupport.com is still down for upgrades/system maintenance. Hence the Error 404 message.

If you go to their main url, you see this message
Hello There!

DISH Network strives to provide world class customer service. As part of this mission we are upgrading the servers that run DISHSupport.com. During this time site availability will be sporadic; however, once this upgrade is complete we will be able to better serve all of our customers.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. As always, you can chat in with our expertly trained team here, or speak with a representative by calling (800) 333-3474.

Thank you for being valued DISH Network customers!

Sorry this is a bit off topic- currently have 2 211ks with 500GB ehds on them. I have a 622 w/o a EHD. Thinking about adding one. If I remember rightly there
is a seperate fee ($39?) to add one to the 622? Also do you have to still have to call or can you self install them now with onscreen questions and charge your billing
account?
(hate calling them!)
Thanks, Gerry

They dropped the activation fees on all but the 211 last Feb. And it wasn't per ehd, but 1 charge per account. So you can have as many ehd's as you like. Even on the 211, once you pay the $40, you can have more than 1 ehd for each 211 and if you have more than 1 211, you can put an ehd on each at no additional charge.

They dropped the activation fees on all but the 211 last Feb. And it wasn't per ehd, but 1 charge per account. So you can have as many ehd's as you like. Even on the 211, once you pay the $40, you can have more than 1 ehd for each 211 and if you have more than 1 211, you can put an ehd on each at no additional charge.

Thanks for the reply- previously paid the EHD fee and have the 211Ks covered. So no fee to hook up an EHD to my 622 if I understand what you said..
Great news- Thanks, Gerry

Thanks for the reply- previously paid the EHD fee and have the 211Ks covered. So no fee to hook up an EHD to my 622 if I understand what you said..
Great news- Thanks, Gerry
What ever is on that HDD will get wiped out though. A 211 EHDD isn't compatible w/ the 622. It will format it as soon as you hook it up.

The bigger HD might be a plus but it won't help me. Seems there is an "undocumented" limit on the number of programs that can be recorded on the 211k HD. I record a lot of SD and music from SXM and I got to 1000 programs on a 1TB with lots of time left. The 211k says that it executes the timers for additional programs after 1000, but nothing gets recorded. I can't even record by pushing the record button. Delete a program and I can record just fine.

An undocumented feature or a bug. Either way it won't record.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)