211K and 1000.4 EA self install questions

Pocono2000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
NE Pennsylvania
Greetings:

I am in the process of a self-install on a new Dish 1000.4 EA/VIP 211K system. I am not getting a strong signal at the receiver and wanted to post what I have done so far to see if anyone might know what I am doing wrong. I have read through quite a few posts here, but I am not sure what I am missing.

The Dish is mounted on a pole that is plumb and secure (I had a separate thread on this.) I have the RG6 cable connected to a grounding block before it enters the house. The dish itself also has a ground wire that connects to the same block (it is part of the cable that I used - ground wire attached to the dish mount.) Skew and elevation were set to spec based on address (I used the Dishpointer website - it varied only slightly from what the Dish table had for our zip code.) I used an analog signal meter (common inexpensive analog meter) connected to LNBF Port 2 and a compass to rough in a peak signal by adjusting the azimuth by moving the dish for satellite 72.7 W. I tightened the bolts clamping the mount to the pole to hold the azimuth. I then removed the meter and short cable and connected the main feed that goes to the house to Port 1 on the LNBF.

At this point, I went into the house and connected the receiver thinking that I could use the pointing screen to fine tune the azimuth using the fine adjustment cam on the mount and fine tune the elevation using the threaded elevation rod as the manual says. However, when I turned the receiver on, it would not let me get to the pointing menu. Instead, it completed an "install switch" procedure and tried to "download software" from the satellite. The "install switch"procedure seemed to complete but the "aquiring" step did not and a "no signal - call Dish Network" message came on. Powering down/disconnecting/resetting the receiver did not help. I was not able to get the receiver to enter the dish pointing screen at all. I also tried using the signal meter in the house (powered this time by the receiver) and it had a signal but not as strong as the one when I connected the meter directly to Port 2 outside.

I must be doing something wrong - any ideas? I didn't cover up the outside two LNBFs with tinfoil when I rough-adjusted the azimuth to point to 72.7, but I didn't think I'd need to since I was connected to Port 2 at that time. Perhaps I am pointed to the wrong satellite? Based on the compass reading and Dishpointer I don't think that is it. Should I connect to Port 2 while fine tuning the Dish with the receiver? Maybe that will let the software download complete so that I can get to the dish pointing screen (and switch the cable back to Port 1 before I perform the fine tuning?)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Andrew

I just looked at DishPonter again and I wonder if I actually aimed at 77W when I used the meter on Port 2. It looks like that would be pretty easy to do.

I am going to also check the cable run from the receiver to the pole for a short with an ohmmeter. I think I will also use the battery pack from the meter to put low voltage through the cable run while it is disconnected on both ends to make sure that a signal can actually get all the way through.

First off, I use the Dish tables in the installation manual which came with the dish. I set the skew and elevation first, then move the dish laterally like you did to find the azimuth. It's real easy to hit any of the three sats using this method, you have to be careful that you are fixed on the middle one. To do that, it's best to either have a more expensive meter which identifies the sat or have the receiver on the point dish screen. I use the receiver. The receiver will identify which sat you are on.

Once you get the best signal you can on the 72 sat, you can run the check switch test. I always use the fine tuning features just to get the best signal strength for the 72 sat. When that happens, the other sats will be fine. Then, you can shut down the receiver and disconnect the meter. I do this at least once a month as I travel and it never takes more than a few minutes.

One other thought, has your receiver been activated yet? Since you're doing your own installation, you may need to call Dish and have it activated.

The elevation and skew values from Dish pointer were the same as Dish's table; the azimuth was 189 degrees in Dishpointer as oppsed to Dish's table which listed 188. Basically the same values.

I cannot seem to get the receiver to go to the "point dish" screen. It "installs" the switch and then tries to "download software." The "menu" button on the remote does nothing. I have not called Dish Network to activate the receiver yet since I thought I was not supposed to do that after the Dish was pointed and locked in to a good signal on all three satellites.

Maybe the question now is: How can I get the 211k receiver to go to the dish pointing screen? Does it have to be activated/registered with Dish Network first? (It is a brand new receiver.)

Update: I re-aimed it (I think it was actually pointed to 77w on the center LNBF before) and the receiver updated the software. I will now contact Dish to activate the receiver. I'll check the signal strength later. Fingers crossed...

Yes, I think you found out what I was saying. As you move the dish manually from side to side, it will actually give a signal for all three of the sats. The center signal will be the 72 sat. It's easy to think you've found it even though you may be on the 61 or 77.

Good luck with the activation.

Good work. Any new receiver has to go through the check switch/update software process before it will do anything. So, since you were doing a new dish install and a new receiver activation, you could not get to the point dish screen without the dish being aimed correctly.

Now you can tweak it at your leisure.

I have three 211k receivers. I think you will like it. You know that you can add a external powered hard drive and make it into a DVR for a one time $40 fee?

Problem solved

After reading the forum, and after a lot of frustration, I now believe that I can shed a lot of light on this problem.

This is why there is a problem: The 211K meter is super slow to react to a signal. It takes up to 80 - 90 seconds for the meter to react, so if you only wait the normal 3 to 5 seconds, you never find a satellite.

If you have another receiver, I would use it to find to tune in the satellite dish.

If you do not have another receiver, here is my advice on what to do.

Take both the receiver and the feedhorn to a dish that is already tuned in to the 3 birds. Install the feedhorn and receiver (use the 72 degree port on the LNB) and then do a check switch (another problem with the 211K is that it takes 25 minutes to complete a check switch.)

Verify that you have the 3 satellites tuned in and uninstall the feedhorn.

Bring the receiver and feedhorn to the new dish and install, make sure you use the same 72 degree port. Cover the 61 and 77 degree LNB's (the 2 outside LNBs) with foil or aluminum cans so only the 72 LNB (middle one) is receiving signal.

Set the skew, elevation and azimuth according to number for your area.

Wait 90 seconds, if no signal, move a couple degrees and wait 90 second again. Continue until you find the 72 degree satellite. Fine tune the dish for the best signal. Remove the foil and verify the other two satellites are receiving a good signal, mark azimuth and then adjust slightly if necessary to get good signal on all 3 satellites.

No check switch is necessary as it was already done at the other dish.

It's a PITA but it does work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts