211k ext hd

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

larryf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
i am not computer savy. how do i hook an external hard drive to my 211k and will this turn it into a dvr (pause and record)? i don't need a lot of record space, but would like some and the pause feature. ihave a 622 in den ,but retirement brings more tv watching late at night in bedroom and i miss the replay ability of dvr. do i plug it in and format it with the receiver or does it have to be formatted on a computer?

The hard drive needs to be externally powered using a wall transformer. The USB port on the receiver WILL NOT POWER the external drive. You should be able to pick up a 500 GB drive at Office Max for $69 - $79. Dish charges you $40 to activate the drive. No monthly fees, but you can not program your 211 remotely over the internet or download PPV movies.

Check the drive before leaving the store to be sure it comes with the wall wart transformer before leaving the store. The packaging maybe confusing.

Jim

seagate drive

will a seagate freeagent goflex 1 tb drive be compatible with a 211k receiver, or is there a better brand?

Seagate drives need to have the sleep function disabled or they may be hard to keep working. They could just be powered off to fix this but why put up with it. If you shop carefully you can get 1TB for $50 to $60. Don't know when the upper size limit will go up.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)