222 DVR capabilities

USMCGrunt0307

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
So im thinking about "upgrading" my 722 to 2 222s and then adding 1TB external HDDs to them. My thinking is that although I will be paying the up front fee to activate the USB ports on my account of 40 dollars and cost of EHDD I will be saving money by not having to pay the DVR fee on the account.

I've found external HDDs of 1TB for about 120 dollars. So for those two drives and the 40 dollar fee that puts me at a total cost of $280 dollars....but to do the upgrade I have to sign a 24 month commitment. If you add up the DVR fee that I would be charged for both boxes that adds up to $336 dollars over the 2 years.

Im also under the impression that the external hard drive will give me the exact same capabilities that I have right now with my 722...just more recording time...is that a correct assumption? Anybody have any information that would be helpful about why I should or should not do this?

I also dont really want to wait for the 922 because I found out this morning that my 722 has died....again. All it does is power cycle.

EHD isn't available for the 222 (or 222k) yet. It's supposed to come out later this year. Being that the 222 is a dual tuner, I wouldn't automatically assume that it won't have the DVR fee. I'm not saying that it will, but until the official word come out, I don't know if I would put all of my eggs in that basket.

The 222 is still a work in progress.

Many subs report significant problems with the ViP 222.

I'd wait at least a year and hope they become more stable like the 211, 622 and 722.

I have had my 222 for few months no problem, waiting for the 222k to have ehd so i can upgrade a standard receiver and add an external :(

Since they fixed the.......well, there was a major issue with the 222 when it first came out...but since they fixed that issue we havent really had any major problems come back to us with the 222 or the 222k.

As far as the 622 and the 722 being stable....id argue that. Hell, this will be the 5th time ive replaced my 722.

I too want to take this route. I would like to get rid of one of my 722's. With the way the economy is going, & the price increase with Dish, got to cut something somewhere

If you're on your 5th, I'd have to say there's likely something wrong with your setup- switches, wiring, grounding, power service.

BTW, you can't use just any 1TB, at least not yet. You'll need a 1TB that's a single, not two put together to call it 1TB. There are posts elsewhere in this forum about this.

If you're on your 5th, I'd have to say there's likely something wrong with your setup- switches, wiring, grounding, power service.

BTW, you can't use just any 1TB, at least not yet. You'll need a 1TB that's a single, not two put together to call it 1TB. There are posts elsewhere in this forum about this.

Being that I have access to the exact same stuff that Dish techs use (I wonder how :) ) and that im on a second switch, and the outlets check out fine....at both locations that ive had my service at...i dont think its the install. Though to be fair my g/f did unplug one of the recievers when it was in the middle of a firmware update and boot recovery wouldnt kick in for some reason.

I kinda thought it had to be a single disk and not some sort of array but thanks for the confirmation on that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts