222k OTA tuner without sub or without sub to locals?

r10fret

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
FL
For anyone that actually has a 222k in hand, do you need to sub to locals in order to use the atsc tuner side or does it work even right out of the box on a new unactivated box before you call up dish to activate it?

I realize that guide data might be missing or the PSIP that the stations transmit deliberatly blocked by dish, I have a spare 222k standing by to replace my 322 should the MPEG4 doomsday come to the WA that in the mean time I want to use for OTA and was wondering A. does it need to even be subbed to use just the OTA tuner side, and B. do I have to actually have a sub where I am paying for a package with locals on the box to use it just for OTA.

I remember something from years ago about having to have it actively connected to a satellite input to use the OTA tuner.

For anyone that actually has a 222k in hand, do you need to sub to locals in order to use the atsc tuner side or does it work even right out of the box on a new unactivated box before you call up dish to activate it?

I realize that guide data might be missing or the PSIP that the stations transmit deliberatly blocked by dish, I have a spare 222k standing by to replace my 322 should the MPEG4 doomsday come to the WA that in the mean time I want to use for OTA and was wondering A. does it need to even be subbed to use just the OTA tuner side, and B. do I have to actually have a sub where I am paying for a package with locals on the box to use it just for OTA.

I remember something from years ago about having to have it actively connected to a satellite input to use the OTA tuner.

r10fret,

No current Dish receiver can use PSIP guide data. The only way to get guide data for local OTA channels received from a OTA source through the Antenna input on a Dish receiver is to subscribe to local into Local package with Dish.

With that said your Dish receiver without a satellite subscription is a Doorstop if you would like to use the OTA tuner in that receiver.

John

So, if the 222k is on an account that doesn't sub to locals can you still use the OTA tuner at all without guide info on those channels just to tune them or is completly shut down unless you pay ransom fee to have duplicate locals delivered via satellite through dish?

Don't know how legally dish can block ATSC PSIP info delivery directly from the stations, guess the lawyers will have to get hauled into court on that one next!

So, if the 222k is on an account that doesn't sub to locals can you still use the OTA tuner at all without guide info on those channels just to tune them or is completly shut down unless you pay ransom fee to have duplicate locals delivered via satellite through dish?

Don't know how legally dish can block ATSC PSIP info delivery directly from the stations, guess the lawyers will have to get hauled into court on that one next!

Dish (and DirecTV, for that matter) can get away with it legally because it is considered a satellite box, not an OTA receiver subject to FCC mandates for ATSC OTA boxes/tuners.

The old Dish branded MyPalTV DVR (or whatever the stupid long name was) was, indeed, subject to the ATSC/OTA FCC mandates because it was truly an OTA/ATSC box receiver (as were the T40's and Pal Plus, the non-DVR ATSC converter boxes). I believe it is now a Channel Master branded product that has a new dark gray exterior and black/gray remote. The primary purpose of Dish satellite boxes is to receive satellite.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts