Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
I feel like this question is like who's buried in Grant's tomb?, but how long is the extension tube reliably able to extend without stress on the actuator? I'm only using 11 1/2 inches right now going from 72W to 139W on my ten ft mesh.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm using 21-22 inches on a 20+ yr old VonWeise. I'd move the attach point on the dish further 'out' to get better accuracy. (more counts per degree) which side is your actuator on??

Attachments

• 55W.jpg
    55W.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 137W.jpg
    137W.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 270
I'd get a piece of angle iron (1.5 inch?) about a foot longer than the span from the E & W actuator mounts on the back of the ring. Have it extend out the side you want the actuator on. Mount the actuator toward the end of the angle iron.

I appreciate your response, but I think after reading your post above about using more of the 24" actuator, I'll slide the actuator on the bolts to allow it to go farther east and still have plenty of actuator left to go across the arc. I was concerned about the stress on the extended tube if I put too much out there with high winds on the 10ft dish.

I have 1/2" of actuator at 72W, and 11 1/2" at 139W, so if my LOS will allow me to see further East I may be able to get to 55W.

Both my systems see 37W back to 139 and the Unimesh will reach 34w but I don't have that one programmed in. I've measured mine out at 37w and can't remember what it was but it's not maxed out by any means.

And Phat's right about moving the pivot points out giving more accuracy as it requires more arm extension for the same amount of dish movement, and thus more counts. I've never tried that with mine but probably will "some day".

When you make those brackets though it would be a good idea to figure out how to put in several new mount holes just to make it more adjustable. Better to have a few extra holes and not need them than to need them and not have them, hey.

Okay..... I slid the actuator through loosened bolts until it was closer to the dish. I get 58W loud and clear now. However, now when I move the dish back West, it stops at 107W as the mechanical stop is apparently set to not go past 11-12" of actuator extension. May I assume I can go another 10" or so?

So here is my model number and limit switch pictures:

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1394215963.491295.jpg
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1394216008.059119.jpg

There is no center screw on the limit switch top right to loosen. Do I just manually turn this top part of the switch clockwise to set my new WEST limit? Or is it the lower half of this plastic wheel?

First measure the outer tube. Will give a clue as to the available extension. outer=>24-24inch, outer <~20-18inch.
Move it to the 'limit' you want to adjust. The one to adjust is the one that just actuated. Kinda unsure as to how adjust that cam style. Looks like two tabs that hold them together?? Maybe releasing that would give insight.(???) But there's also a hex molded in. May be just a socket???? I'd look at mine but there's 2 ft of snow there. Motor only about a foot off it. But also think mine is different.

I thought I might be able to help with this but mine doesn't look anything like that one you have?? Where is the reed switch and magnet wheel?? :confused: That and my limit switch adjustment doesn't look like that either. Yours must be a newer version than what I have.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1394216008.059119.jpgI "fixed" your pic a bit,you'll need to adjust the 2 white cams,I'll leave that up to you to figure out how,to adjust your hard limits.I don't have one like that so I can't say exactly how the adjustment is made.
For Gunman,it appears the reed sensor and wheel is inside the other part of the casting.

Thank you gentlemen! I found it just a matter of twisting the top half, as that was the one stopping the West movement. I could probably drop the dish a little lower in the East, but I'm getting France24 in English which I missed when it left 121W, so I'm happy for now. Is there anything in English West of 58W?

I have 1/2" of actuator at 58W and about 11" or 12" at 137W so I certainly have plenty of actuator left to go further East, but I'm not sure if I can go lower than 50W here at my place.

twisting the top half,
:up
Is there anything in English West of 58W?
Think you mean East? 55W has a few. Think anything further would be mainly feeds.
I conceivably could get to ~22, but would have to do major rework of the mount/actuator, so 55 is it for me.

:upThink you mean East? 55W has a few. Think anything further would be mainly feeds.
I conceivably could get to ~22, but would have to do major rework of the mount/actuator, so 55 is it for me.

Yes, i meant East.

I can get to 55.5W, the only thing I have in my favorites there is FTV

Yes, I get that too. I also get a couple English speaking channels like BBC HD. I have found from setting and resetting the hardware limits on my newer Von Weise Actuator, that it only takes a twist of the plastic wheel. It now receives 55W to 137W. Thank you to all.

Incidentally, I found as pointed out somewhere by someone that I can easily sit on my short 5 ft step ladder and adjust the LNBF on my 10 ft. Mesh when its pointed into 55W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)