25 years ago today...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Remember this?

brett-8x10-royals-pinetar-bw-thumb.jpg

It occured on this day 25 years ago.

That's when we should have known steroids were becoming a problem because THAT was serious 'roid rage.

One of the many great George Brett quotes......

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out!"

BTW, that pine-tar ruling was absolutely ridiculous. I would've reacted the same way if the umps ruled my home run illegal too. As far as George Brett, they just don't make them like they used to.

I can't really remember for sure but I think that was the national game of the week on NBC. I think I watched it happen, but can't remember for sure.

The Royals protested, won the protest, finished the game later in the season, and won the game. But it sure was fun watching Brett go ballistic. Billy Martin could really bring out the worst in people. :)

BTW, that pine-tar ruling was absolutely ridiculous.
It sure was....

The Royals protested the game and their protest was upheld by American League president Lee MacPhail. MacPhail (who coincidentally had once been the Yankees' chief executive) ruled that while the bat was illegal, it didn't violate the "spirit of the rules." He added that the bat was not "altered to improve the distance factor", and that the rules only provided for removal of the bat from the game, not calling the batter out.

Pine Tar Incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually McLellan ruled correctly by the book. The commissioner ruled by the spirit of the book when he overruled the ump.

Actually McLellan ruled correctly by the book. The commissioner ruled by the spirit of the book when he overruled the ump.
He ruled correctly that the bat was illegal, but his ruling that the batter should be called out was incorrect.

Rule 1.10c states:

(c) The bat handle, for not more than 18 inches from its end, may be covered or treated with any material or substance to improve the grip. Any such material or substance, which extends past the 18 inch limitation, shall cause the bat to be removed from the game.
NOTE: If the umpire discovers that the bat does not conform to (c) above until a time during or after which the bat has been used in play, it shall not be grounds for declaring the batter out, or ejected from the game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2008/official_rules/01_objectives_of_the_game.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts