2700A C-Band "stuff"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

havenx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
I know it will do it, but I don’t know what goes where and what the limitations are.
-It’s got ANT IN
-And then the IF input that I am using with my KU setup. (Well heck, you guys know what it has)
I am guessing that the IF input will go to the LNB to take care of polarity.
I am also guessing that the ANT IN goes to the LNB for the reception.
Okay I have four wire jacks. Two positive and two negative, but I don’t know what goes where or what controls what. Something has to tell the dish to move, and something has to switch the polarity. I’m guessing that IF takes care of polarity and one set of the wire jacks control the dish movement. Does the elevation and skew set similar to how a KU motorized systems do?

Pretty much I am asking the 411 on how to hook up a C-band dish to my 2700A, and if it will control all the features.

So far I have only mastered KU. Time to start on C-Band at the end of this month :)

If you have an analog receiver? What kind? At this point I'm assuming you have a Pansat 2700a, which is not an analog receiver. The IF input is from the LNB. You're going to need a C-band LNB and a dish large enough to handle it. Also, I'm not familiar with the 2700a, some Pansats will control a servo motor (polarotor) and some won't. I think the 2700a won't. The Antenna input is for a passthrough from OTA antenna. A 2700a will do C-band DVB signals, but it won't move an actuator for a BUD. You could get a C-band LNBF, the 2700a would control polarity with it. You'll need something like a V-box or an old analog receiver or a dish positioner to move an actuator dish. And, an analog receiver will control a servo motor (polarotor). The 4 wires are probably for the actuator, 2 to drive it, and 2 to control the reed switch (sensor). There should be 3 more wires if you have a servo motor (polarotor). The elevation and skew are set simular, the difference would be in a prime focus dish as opposed to an offset dish. The prime focus points straight at the clark belt, while an offset dish is pointed offset to the clark belt.

Al

Thats the little motor inside feedhorn LNB's, by moving it the polarity changes from H to V (L to R)

Attachments

• 3503007-125.jpg
    3503007-125.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 158
  • feedfvw.gif
    feedfvw.gif
    36 KB · Views: 162
  • lnbfeedd.gif
    lnbfeedd.gif
    49 KB · Views: 200
Basically the Pansat 2700 will control polarity on a C-band LNB/feedhorn (by controlling the polarotor), but it won't move the dish from satellite to satellite (control the actuator).

Very few (only one I know of) FTA receivers will operate an actuator. I believe the Manhattan receiver will (not sure of the model number). To operate your C-band dish (BUD), you will either have to use an analog C/Ku receiver with dish control built in (most of them had this), or use a 4DTV Digicipher II digital receiver. In either case, your Pansat won't be able to move the dish by itself.

Last edited:
I have a 2700A and have the following setup (I'm hoping to upgrade to a larger dish very soon)

36" P* dish with a bsc621 c/ku lnbf on it. RG6 from the lnbf to the IF input on the 2700. I use the 2700 for digital ku/c reception. Then run a rg6 from the IF output on the 2700 into an analog c/ku receiver. I use one of my General Instruments 2400R. This will get you c/ku analog channels, and this receiver also moves my dish via an actuator arm.

I don't need the 2700R to switch polarities, as the bsc621 lnbf does it all. However, the 2700 will work a polarotor. Some say a person is better off using a Corotor II with seperate c/ku lnb's, espcially for c-band so you can fine tune your skew...which by the way the 2700R will do. Once I find a big enough dish to handle c/ku I may just do that and dump my bsc621.

As noted above, there are two ways to set up a 2700 to work with c band. One way is to slave the 2700 to an analog / 4dtv receiver. The analog receiver will control dish movement and lnb polarity. While this works well, it does require the use of two remotes to change channnels from one sat to another.

The other way to do this is to let the pansat control everything. You would do this by using a v box II (NOT the v box dp 710) to control dish movement, and set the pansat up to control polarity. The 2700 can control a polarotor if you decide to use a corotor or c band LNB, or you can use a c band LNBF which controls polarity just like your KU lnbfs, with voltage changes.

To make sure I understand. So I can get a C/KU LNBF and control the skew, but I need to grab a V-BOX II to move the elivation and the dish from satellite to satellite?

"v box II (NOT the v box dp 710)" what's the difference?

There have been documented problems with the vbox 710. Most dealing with not holding the counts between birds. I currently have the 710 and it puts me close to each satellite, but have to manually adjust to fine tune the signal. I think I am going to invest in a vbox II very shortly. I have a analog Uniden moving my dish now, but I am tired of having to tell it what satellite to go to when doing a channel change between sats. The vbox II will take care of all of that automatically once connected to my setup.

If you get a LNBF the polarity can be controlled with any unit

If you get a LNB (and it has the 3 wires coming off of it), then you need a box that can control the polorotor

To make sure I understand. So I can get a C/KU LNBF and control the skew
There are a couple of ways to control polarity on a BUD via your pansat, how this will work depends on your current feedhorn setup. What do you have now?

but I need to grab a V-BOX II to move the elivation and the dish from satellite to satellite?
Yes, the pansat will send diseqc commmands to the v box II. The v box II will use those commands to control the actuator which moves the dish on its mount. Elevation is taken care of by the way a polar mount works, it keeps the dish on the proper elevation while the dish moves from sat to sat across the arc.

PS: I do not currently have a v box II so i cannot comment on its reliablity except for what i have heard as annectdotal evidence. This unit is very well thought of in Europe and the far east, including Australia. Mine died a premature death, but it was very well used when I recieved it, and had sustained shipping damage. This unit was sold to me as a new item by a dealer who is NOT a sponser here :(

drhydro said:
There are a couple of ways to control polarity on a BUD via your pansat, how this will work depends on your current feedhorn setup. What do you have now?

Yes, the pansat will send diseqc commmands to the v box II. The v box II will use those commands to control the actuator which moves the dish on its mount. Elevation is taken care of by the way a polar mount works, it keeps the dish on the proper elevation while the dish moves from sat to sat across the arc.

PS: I do not currently have a v box II so i cannot comment on its reliablity except for what i have heard as annectdotal evidence. This unit is very well thought of in Europe and the far east, including Australia. Mine died a premature death, but it was very well used when I recieved it, and had sustained shipping damage. This unit was sold to me as a new item by a dealer who is NOT a sponser here :(

I have not bought anything yet, however at the end of this month it looks like I am going to buy a 6 foot BUD.

So what are the ways that I can control polarity with my pansat2700A on the C-band system. (that way I know what LNB or LNBF to buy)

With the Pansat 2700, you can control polarity either on a voltage-switched LNBF (such as the new C/Ku LNBFs coming out now, which switch polarity by voltage, the same way as a regular Ku LNBF) or on a feedhorn/polarotor setup (like the Corotor II for example).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)