2D to 3D conversion?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No. There is no way to do this on the fly. However there is a way to retrofit 3d to 2d programs in an involved process. The result is something that appears as multiple layers. You have depth but it is done like a paper cut-out diorama where you have some paper cut-outs up front and some further back viewed against a background that is even further back.

This is the way that movies like Clash of the Titans was retrifitted to be 3d from 2d masters.

See ya
Tony

Yes. It is a feature of the Samsung TV's both LED and Plasma. Some material looks better than others. Avatar looks good. Mvs.A looks good, too but the actual 3D version looks way better.

S~

What the samsung does is NOT even close to 3d. It's like the old RCA TVs that had XD Stereo... it was code for "not" stereo. The Samsung takes the dark and bright areas of the screen and fakes depth with no other real info. This is like the "emboss" function" on paint shop. If that is what we were talking about, then okay. But calling something like that "simulating 3d" can simulate the mona lisa with a caricature of Lucy Van Pelt. :)

The 2D->3D conversion is a bit like DVD upscaling to hidef:
given enough power, attention and skills (on top of having a high quality original to start) it can be made close but will never be as good as the real thing.
The bottom line is the same - you have to invent information as opposed to use existing one...

Diogen.

I'm not in the verb inventing business.

And calling (no matter how complex) extra-/interpolation algorithms intelligence, whether artificial or otherwise - well, maybe for the well-rounded business economics teachers...

Diogen.

The 2D to 3D conversion is actually very good on my Samsung. Not as good as real 3D but much better than Tony's making it sound.

I have to agree with you. Not sure how the Samsung is doing it, but the 2D-3d conversion is sometimes excellent. And although I have seen some scenes lose all 3d effects, I have not seen any seen where disturbing 3d effects are added. And this is a 1st gen (for home use). on the fly version of 2d to 3d conversion.

I expect that others in the future may add such capabilities. After all the majority of material already out there was not recorded in 3d.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts