2nd Dish at same address?

Goobzilla never said that he has the Hopper. Everybody knows that the Hopper doesn't have TV2 and you cannot have VIP and Hopper on the same account.

Except there is no TV2 output from a Hopper system. Dish dropped the ball by not offering a ViP solution instead of the Hopper if they had been told about the 2nd dish/remote location issue.

And informed they were. I have a 6 page printout of the chat I had when signing up and clearly stating my needs, whoever they escalated me to today really didn't seem to care about any of that and that I was told "no problem, no problem" BEFORE signing the contract. I'll live without it, it just would have been nice to get what i was promised without considerable expense on my end.

Well of course that was an epic fail. Installer showed up with Hopper and 3 Joeys and told me that a Joey wouldn't work in the shop, which I knew already. Of course he had no extra equipment with him to add a standalone dish and receiver either. I will call Dish today and kindly ask them to come install a 2nd dish and receiver for the shop. I just had them install the 3rd Joey in a spare bedroom since I was thinking about doing it at some point anyway. Updates to come :)

Goobzilla never said that he has the Hopper. Everybody knows that the Hopper doesn't have TV2 and you cannot have VIP and Hopper on the same account.

:D

Sorry to hear that.

Other than doing nothing, you should know that the Joeys (at least for now) work over Ethernet as well as coax. I would recommend playing games with wifi to your main residence and see if that works well enough. I'll bet if you get a high-gain very directional antenna, it would.

Yes that would work, and probably be the simplest solution (granted your Sling works right, Sling is very buggy, but great when it works.)

Not if he gets an actual Slingbox PRO, no bugs great picture over Wifi.

why didn't the installer modify the workorder to vip when he saw the workshop?

I find it hard to believe he had no other equipment on the truck.

I would start digging, do a little every day and run 2 coax and an ethernet or 2

Well of course that was an epic fail. Installer showed up with Hopper and 3 Joeys and told me that a Joey wouldn't work in the shop, which I knew already. Of course he had no extra equipment with him to add a standalone dish and receiver either. I will call Dish today and kindly ask them to come install a 2nd dish and receiver for the shop. I just had them install the 3rd Joey in a spare bedroom since I was thinking about doing it at some point anyway. Updates to come :)

I wish I would have read your thread 3 days ago and I could have told you that was going to happen and not have seen you waste your time.

I have setup thousands of installs through DISH Networks fulfillment system, and every single time I run into this situation the installer has refused to do the additional work. Its at the point that I won't even try to set it up, and the only reason why the person you ordered it from said yes, because they didn't want to loose your sale and was just betting that the installer would make everything all right by the time he left.

You either need to have all the boxes setup in the house, and move them yourself after the installer leaves, or you need to find a local retailer who will find a solution to make it work.

BTW, im not bashing Dish. You'll have the same issue if you try to do this with Directv as they are the same way.

If your network extends to your shop, just use the network to feed the Joey. The Hopper of course needs to be on the same network. Lots of guys in another thread have said this works.

I'm in the same boat. I have a detached garage that sits 125' from the house. It's tied into the main house panel, not a different residence. I was told it needs a separate account a few years ago. I installed an new dish and got an additional receiver. It too bad I can't get a Hopper system. If they want to put a Hopper out there and set up 2H/1J in the house, that's their money. But what a waste. And it's not a valid configuration on their system. Unfortunately, very poor internet out there.

I'm guessing give it some time, Dish will have a solution for this. I don't think it will be a VIP receiver, the future is the Hopper type of set-up. Want to bet they have no more new VIP receivers being made? They will use the ones they have, which are alot of course, for non Hopper set-ups, but will want to faze out those and this is one way to start to do it. If you go on the website with just about any HD DVR more than one room set-up for a residence you can't pick anything but a Hopper set-up.

If you have a Hopper/Joey system, you could move a Joey to the workshop. You would have to run a cable from the node to the workshop, but that should work.

If you have a Hopper/Joey system, you could move a Joey to the workshop. You would have to run a cable from the node to the workshop, but that should work.

Why so much confusion on this. I'm actually surprised this thread has taken this turn.
Keep it simple. Get an additional hopper setup at home by E*. Or get an additional VIP setup at home by E*. Now after it is up and running. Get a local installer to setup an extra dish and just move the hopper or the VIP. Done. Simple. The extra dish will cost you less than 100usd if you do it yourself. with an installer you can get it to about 200 max. There you have it. One account. multiple setups. works always.

Remember giving them too much information has never been the right thing to do as they really don't care. The customer service reps are useless at its best.

I've been their customer for over 10 years and every time I've decided to use their service I've paid handsomely. If I choose to do it myself, its always cheaper.

navigates said:
...Keep it simple. Get an additional hopper setup at home by E*. Or get an additional VIP setup at home by E*. Now after it is up and running. Get a local installer to setup an extra dish and just move the hopper or the VIP. Done. Simple. The extra dish will cost you less than 100usd if you do it yourself. with an installer you can get it to about 200 max. There you have it. One account. multiple setups. works always....

However, when they install the second Hopper, they will replace the Solo node with a Duo node. He will need to first buy an extra Solo node for the shop. I'm assuming he can terminate the unused connections on the Duo Node in the house, but he will have to buy those as well. Can you buy node and terminators through Dishstore?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)