2nd dish installation...

tvnut

Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Central Oregon
I recently upgraded from a 511/311 with Dish 500 and DPP LNBF to a 622. I did not want to lease the equipment so I purchased the 622 at Costco and figured I could use my existing Dish 500 and add a 2nd dish for sat 129. After convincing the DishTV CSR that I could see HD programming on the guide, even though I had not connected the 2nd dish, I was up and running with all the programming except what is on 129.

Having an older DirecTV / Terk dual LNB dish in my garage, I asked a local installer and he said that should work for picking up 129 fed into the DPP Twin on my dish500. So I mounted the second dish and used my old 511 to peak the dish to 129. Everything looked good so far, as I was getting 75-80 signal on 129 - as good as can be expected, from what I hear in the NW. I connected the 2nd dish to the input on the DPP and ran check swith on the 622. 119 and 110 are fine but position 3 shows an X and N.C. I double checked all the conections inside and out, re-ran the check switch, rebooted the 622 and still nothing on the 3rd sat position.

My assumption is I need a compatible Dish LNBF on the second dish. Has anyone had any luck using a non-Dish as a 2nd dish?

Is there anything else I could try?
Thanks for your help.:hatsoff:

Having an older DirecTV / Terk dual LNB dish in my garage, I asked a local installer and he said that should work for picking up 129 fed into the DPP Twin on my dish500.

The DirecTV LNB is "Legacy". You have a DishProPlus LNB already

you cannot mix Legacy & DishPro (or DishProPlus) LNB's & switches

Get a DishPro dual or single and that will solve the issue :)

You really should have let them send an installer to add the 2nd dish.

In the NW E* is adding a 24" dish with a low noise lnb, the larger dish combined with the low noise LNB boosts signal strength at least 10 points on 129.

The installer would just put up the dish & run a line to the DPP lnb on your dish 500, less than an hour, you paid for instalation when you bought your 622.

Jordan

As I understand the purchase vs lease situation, I only get free installation if I choose to convert my 622 over to a lease and sign an 18 month agreement. Because I purchased the 622 (Costco) and do not want to convert it to a lease, I need to install myself or pay an installer.

Here is my current dilemma: I replaced the DirecTV/Terk dish and LNB with a DishPro single LNB and Dish500 dish. Now when I run the check switch, Port 3 shows connceted but no signal. I have tried picking up 129 with this setup and can't get any signal. This is with the DP single/Dish500 going to the input on the DPP Twin/Dish500 and then to the 622 with dual tuner splitter. Considering I was able to find 129, 119 and 110 very easy with the DirectTV dish connected directly to a 511 receiver, I am thinking something must be wrong with the internal DPP switch or receiver . When I go to the details of the check switch, there are two red highlighted warnings for input 1 and 2: T[0] Invalid DishPro Switch detected, Code 15,A2. For port3 it says: External LNB: DP-Single Good connection, no signal. I have reset the receiver once and run the check switch multiple times.

Any ideas before I call the installer?

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)