2nd receiver @ second home

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mike3161999

Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
i live in nj, and have a house in vermont for the winter(weekends only)
i want to know if i can add a second receiver the dtv account in nj where i have dtv
and use it in vermont. i don't want to pay for cable up in vermont just to use on weekends.

Use a second dish in Vermont and take your one receiver with you up there when you are there for the weekends. If you want to , you can call Directv each weekend and tell them your service address ONLY - will be the house in Vermont . Then call back when you go home on Monday and change back to your home address.

That is if you want to keep it legal and have no problems with Directv. IF legal issues don't bother you , then just move the receiver there on weekends and take it back home when you are through. Directv will never know.

You can also add a second receiver to your vacation home and call Directv and have them activate it on your account when you use it , and off when you don't. But I wouldn't leave it turned on while you are gone during the week as it is a violation to have two different receivers on the same account at two different houses.

Does DirecTv not audit customers like Dish Network does and ask for a location ID or something similar? Or do they only know by seeing if they are connected to a phone line?

Stargazer said:
Does DirecTv not audit customers like Dish Network does and ask for a location ID or something similar? Or do they only know by seeing if they are connected to a phone line?

AFAIK, DirecTV audits location based on phone line alone.

I've been a sub since 1996 and was never tracked based on anything else.

Is this true of their MPEG-4 boxes as well or did they get smart and implement a location on those new receivers?

Your sure can, up to ten receivers, without getting noticed, I do installs that way two here, then two there, then one here,

Get your new box, activate it at home, then take it to your other home, just dont plug it into a phone line, thats how you get caught, but nothing will happen to you

I generally just grab one of my bedrooms recievers and use that when I'm traveling (no cable at the inlaws in denver.. and if I'm there for a week I need some TV) I don't get my local Phoenix channels, but everything else is good.

I use a ghetto-fabulous old camera tripod with an 18" round dish epoxied to the top..... but hey - it works, and a 50' section of RG-59 (not reccommeneded.. but I can close the window on it and it still works)

get a movers connection to your second house and only take one reciever there. the only problem is where your bill goes. but you could always move back lol. its free.

They go by physical address and not mailing address don't they on a Dish Mover's? A lot of people have P.O. Boxes for mailing address.

Better yet...

I've seen the receivers at Goodwill and others for $15 and free on Freecycle.

Leave the second receiver and dish at the cabin and just take the card.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)