2nd receiver setup question

hort22

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
parents have a vip 622 setup at the moment with upstairs tv in HD and basement tv 2 in SD.

they just upgraded tv2 to an hd tv...what are my options for getting hd on that second tv...ie how would i wire a 211k downstairs, and is that even possible from only one sat dish?

You can put a 211 receiver there and you would need a coax cable from the Dish antenna to the receiver. So you would need two cables from the Dish, one to each receiver.

You can put a 211 receiver there and you would need a coax cable from the Dish antenna to the receiver. So you would need two cables from the Dish, one to each receiver.

how do you connect that to the dish? or better question where do you connect it to the dish?

A 211k comes with an additional receiver fee of $7/mo. It is not a DVR without paying the one-time fee of $40 and adding an external USB disk. Another alternative is the VIP612 receiver, at $10/mo. I have two and they have worked well for years. There is no charge for plugging an EHD into your 622 or a 612, and you can swap EHDs around and thereby move programs. (You can't do that with the DVR conversion disk for a 211.)

Do they want to be able to view recorded programing on either tv in HD? Or would they be satifies with viewing what is recorded on the 622 in SD and anything else recorded on a 2nd receiver in HD. If they want to be able to view what's on the upstairs dvr in hd downstairs, then they need a Hopper/Joey. If the latter, get a 211 and add an ehd for a 1 time fee of $40 and use the coax from the 622 to the antenna in of the new tv and the hdmi out from the 211 to the hdmi in on the new tv. I did that for many years until the Hopper came out.

how do you connect that to the dish? or better question where do you connect it to the dish?

You have to connect the cable to the LNB on the Dish. The LNB is the part on the arm that points back at the Dish. Follow the existing cable to where it connects to the LNB and you should see 2 more ports on there that you can connect another cable.

think for the most part...the 2nd tv will be used for live sports and or some tv...so that is the need for the 2nd tv in hd...the other tv 2 hookup from the 622 will still be hooked up through coax so in a pinch they would be able to watch some dvr albeit in SD...so it sounds like getting a 211k and running coax to the dish is the option i will need to go with. do i need that RG 6 coax?

thanks all for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)