2wire HomePortal

sdsumann

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
This box looks too good to be true. I know Scott saw it and was impressed. My questions is will this box ever actually go into production. I am currently a sbc/dish newtowk subscriber and would be first in line to get this box (I am in southern california).

Heck this might make me go out and buy the dlp or lcd hdtv that I have been putting off until a new box comes out. I currenlty have a 522 and like it a lot (not love it). I don't see a major problem with the box but dont feel that dish can ever fix synch issues or here and there blocked pixaliation with the box. I am curious to see if 2wire can overcome these shortcomings of dish networks programers. Thats why I posted this entry. I invite comments as I am curious as to your input. Some questions:

1. Do you think this box will be pretty bug free when first released or will it be a beta until a future release?
2. dish boxes update software via satellite. do you think 2wire/sbc can take this route, will it update via the broadband connection?
3. Price point this will be the big question. I don't mind putting a little up front for this box, but how will sbc compete with cable if this box has a 500 up front fee plus lease fee? with all the features of this box it would have to cost a pretty penny to produce. What would be your prediction on up front fee and lease fee?
4. Availability when will this hit the market? this is not dish we are talking about it might actually happen when sbc says it will. Per scott this box is full functional. 1st half of 2005 is that june?
5. with wifi on board that creates a lot of questions. does the phone line still need to be conected? obviously for the yahoo integration it would have to be pretty flawless for people to jump on board. since it appears its a tv guide branded guide does it still get its guide data from the satellite or does it pull it from the internet.
6. If this box becomes a big success do you think dish will look at using the option of others devloping boxes?

Any and all comments welcome on this subject. But in the end at least to me this box looks really really really sweet.

1. Since it's not made by Dish, and 2Wire has a decent track record, it will almost certainly be better than any Dish initial release.
2. My guess is via DSL, as it is an SBC/2Wire product, not a Dish product.
3. I'm imagining no more than a $99 fee, if that, plus monthly lease. It might even have no upfront cost to compete with the cable model, especially if you have multiple SBC services.
4. I hope so. I'm planning on leaving Dish right after returning from vacation, going with Comcast temporarily, and joining up with SBC/Dish after the required six-months as a non-Dish customer.
5. My understanding is the guide info, as well as much of it's other functionality, is provided via DSL.
6. That would make sense. So....no.

I was impressed with the box, and during the presentation we were able to ask questions and the rep would do exactly what we told him we wanted to see and he did it, and so did the box. This box seems much better crafted then a standard Echostar made unit.

I have also spoken with Numerous people at SBC about this unit and they say the box meets their specifications which are much more strict then Dish Networks and they expect to release the box as a stable unit all advertised features working out of the box and virtually bug free.

I asked your question 5 and YES the phone line must be connected as that is how Dish is setup to handle PPV ordering.

Gary,
Does the customer agreement for E* state that you have to be disconnected from their services for 6 months before you can sign back up as a new customer and get their "new" deals?
I ask because every time I mention that to a CSR they say, once we have your address and phone number and SSN in our system then you will always be considered a current customer even if you leave and come back under that same information...

Scott,

Have you heard anything about the chance of existing Dish Network subscribers (not through SBC) of getting this box? I really want the whole house pvr networking that this box offers but I don't want to disconnect from Dish for 6 months. I tried to get an answer about this through normal channels at Dish Network and SBC and can't get any information because of course the box doesn't exist yet to them.

Steve

jbcheshire said:
Gary,
Does the customer agreement for E* state that you have to be disconnected from their services for 6 months before you can sign back up as a new customer and get their "new" deals?
No. But, the customer agreement for SBC/Dish does.

"Not available to current or former DISH Network or SBC DISH Network customers who have had service within the past 180 days."

GaryPen said:
No. But, the customer agreement for SBC/Dish does.

"Not available to current or former DISH Network or SBC DISH Network customers who have had service within the past 180 days."

As Gary has said. The key is that you are NOT going back to Dish when you go to this new box/set up, you are becoming an SBC video customer. SBC deal with Dish prohibits them from poaching current customers but, after 180 days off the Dish subscriber roles, it is not considered a poach.