Super Joey vs 2WIRE modem Firewall

cebtoo

Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
South Texas, USA
I have two DISH devices showing up active on my AT&T home network summary, Hopper and Hopper2_br0 which I assume is the bridge. Two inactive Joeys also. How should the 2WIRE firewall be set up so that it doesn't effect the DISH connections but remain secure?:confused:

Put the hoppers ip into the dmz list in the router.
Bad idea if he's concerned about security. Placing in the DMZ just a lazy way work around for Sling issues that usually isn't needed.

For most 2Wire routers I've seen the best answer is do nothing, assuming the basic settings haven't been trashed.

For a more capable router, placing the Hopper system into it's own VLAN may be appropriate for the more cautious or paranoid.

For most 2 wire routers I've seen, they disconnect on their own after X amount of time and require activity from the set top box, such as rerunning the connection test or a router reboot in order to get the connection working again.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I had issues with 722 "dropping connection," never seen it with the Hopper or HWS. 2Wire around here is ATT UVerse or ADSL. My setup is a bit more evolved than a standard Uverse setup, but my Dad and sister have vanilla setups without issue. Probably would have heard from others if they had issues, but wouldn't be surprised if there were issues with some routers.

With the 722 it wasn't an actual connection issue, but something wrong with the Dish code thinking it was disconnected. In reality the connection was always live and the box could be pinged, http server accessed, etc. Never completely tracked it down, but when everything else works and it's only a Dish issue, have to assume Dish was at least partially at fault.

Bad idea if he's concerned about security. Placing in the DMZ just a lazy way work around for Sling issues that usually isn't needed.

For most 2Wire routers I've seen the best answer is do nothing, assuming the basic settings haven't been trashed.

For a more capable router, placing the Hopper system into it's own VLAN may be appropriate for the more cautious or paranoid.

The vast majority of consumer grade gear doesn't have support for VLANs.

The vast majority of consumer grade gear doesn't have support for VLANs.
The vast majority of consumer grade firmware doesn't support VLANs. Pretty much any Broadcom based router gains both port based and 802.1q vlans if flashed with dd-wrt/tomato/openwrt/etc. Just about any other chipset will get at least 802.1q. but admittedly that may not be of much use without adding a capable switch.

The vast majority of consumer grade firmware doesn't support VLANs. Pretty much any Broadcom based router gains both port based and 802.1q vlans if flashed with dd-wrt/tomato/openwrt/etc. Just about any other chipset will get at least 802.1q. but admittedly that may not be of much use without adding a capable switch.

The percentage of people that will go down that road is < 1%, possibly less than .1%. Not to mention that it adds a layer of complexity that most don't wish to be bothered with.

The percentage of people that will go down that road is < 1%, possibly less than .1%. Not to mention that it adds a layer of complexity that most don't wish to be bothered with.
Obviously, but if one falls into the "more cautious or paranoid" camp (or just has some other need), it's not all that difficult or expensive - fully vlan capable routers are readily available from $25.

Obviously, but if one falls into the "more cautious or paranoid" camp (or just has some other need), it's not all that difficult or expensive - fully vlan capable routers are readily available from $25.

Being able to buy something, then upgrade the firmware to an unsupported firmware, and having the knowledge to do the configuration that will actually accomplish something is (once again) a very very small community. Especially when you consider that the vast majority don't even change their gear passwords away from the factory defaults.

Being able to buy something, then upgrade the firmware to an unsupported firmware, and having the knowledge to do the configuration that will actually accomplish something is (once again) a very very small community. Especially when you consider that the vast majority don't even change their gear passwords away from the factory defaults.

Again, obviously it's not the right choice for anyone who wants to call and waste time with att/comcast/etc support, but that doesn't negate the option for anyone who wants to take the time if they are concerned about it. If someone even asks the question as the OP did, then the odds of being interested in such an option go up substantially.

You lost me at hello! (-;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)