Joey 4s.

Is this a step that needs to be done before the Joey 4 will work?
Yes, prior to involving any J4 receiver into your system you should download the base ATV files on the Hopper (this can be done even without a plus) so that the Joey can update itself upon installation.

Or will the Joey 4 do this all by itself?
After downloading the base OS off of the Hopper, it’s my understanding that once activated it will pull the rest of the OS off of the internet, so you just need to make sure that internet bridging is enabled on the Hopper or the Joey has some method to connect like direct Ethernet.

is it that simple? I have 2 wireless joeys and would really like to have the wireless joey 4 on one of the tv's.
If I purchased one could I install it myself? would it download the proper software itself?
As a tech, I'm gonna be honest with you. YMMV with the Wireless Joey 4's, but my team HATES them and for good reason. Maybe they're fine once they're up and running but the issues that come with installing them are many, from remotes not pairing to not downloading or seeing the Hopper or even connecting tot the WAP

Once installed though the Wireless Joey 4 is an AMAZING receiver.

We are remodeling our house and as we work on things moving the TV's and receiver is easy. And being able to have Android TV functions is great. Actually took one outside on Saturday night to watch Summer Slam on a projector in the back yard. :D

Considering there is no monthly charge for the Hopper+ or Joey 4, your argument that they want you to pay for something that you don't need holds no water. You can order the Hopper+ and Joey 4 and simply remove the Hopper+ after installation is the ticket.

Not true consider you HAVE TO PAY FOR BOXES upfront normally less you can get them for free. which most cant or dont argue to do so and less you been with dish for long time it unlikely to happen . you of all people should know this conidering you even mention that.

If you have to pay for hopper plus just to get joey 4 just to get and pay for joey 4 for how is that not paying for something you dont need if you dont want it. There are no fee for using them well this no monthly fee for hopper plus but there is normal monthly fee for joey 4 just all the other joes , but there upfront fees

yet you tell me my argue hold no water. why would someone PAY for hopper plus to just to get joey 4 when all they want the is joey 4

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Not true consider you HAVE TO PAY FOR BOXES upfront normally less you can get them for free. which most cant or dont argue to do so and less you been with dish for long time it unlikely to happen . you of all people should know this conidering you even mention that.

If you have to pay for hopper plus just to get joey 4 just to get and pay for joey 4 for how is that not paying for something you dont need if you dont want it. There are no fee for using them well this no monthly fee for hopper plus but there is normal monthly fee for joey 4 just all the other joes , but there upfront fees

yet you tell me my argue hold no water. why would someone PAY for hopper plus to just to get joey 4 when all they want the is joey 4
You do not have to pay for the Joey's but do have to sign a two year committment just like any other tech company. If you don't want a contract then you have to pay but you'll also own the receiver. But you can definitely get joey4s for free and even the hopper plus if you just threaten to cancel.

As far as monthly fees go there's no monthly on the plus because it's just a add on to your existing hopper. The Joey4s have a monthly access fee because it's an actual receiver that replaces the old Joey's completely.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)