3 LNB Element Dish Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tcheairs

Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
West Tennessee
Just purchased a HR21-700 receiver and a 3 element Direct TV FTA dish (not Slimline). I will have to set it up myself because the direct TV contract installers say they will not climb up on my roof. I've had good success at aiming the standard 18" dishes in the past. This dish is suppost to receive satellites 101 110 and 119. Does anyone have any suggestions as how best to aim the dish. I was also wondering if the new dish uses any of the same elevation and azimuth as the 18 inch dish and if the 18 inch dish sees any of the 3 satellites above. I am in zip code 38019 and my 18 inch dish is elevated to 43 degrees and pointing 200 degrees southwest.

Thanks for any help you can give...Tcheairs

The sats at 110, and 119 are basically being phased out by DirecTV, except for some locals and international. They are SD only. You need the LNBs for 99, 101, and 103.

The 18" dish can "see" only one of those sats (101, 110, or 119) at a time.

For alignment parameters go to http://dishpointer.com.

I'm not sure if that dish has the proper geometry for what you want.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a Slimline with the 3LNB assembly.

Triple LNB Direct TV Dish and HD Channels

I have purchased a triple LNB DTV 18x20 inch Dish to use with my HR21-700 Receiver. I have read that there is no longer any HD available on 101 110 and 119. Is this true and will I need to replace it with a Slimline dish? Thanks...Tcheairs

You are correct, there is no longer any HD on the old triple LNB dish.

All HD requires a Slimline dish that sees 99/101/103.

If you wish to receive HD programming, yes, you will need to upgrade to the slimline KAKU dish. Its been awhile since I hooked a phase 3 dish to an HDDVR but if my recollection is right it will still work for SD programming. You will need to remove the B-band converters as well as reconfigure your receiver to expect the phase 3 dish. The slimline KAKU can be quite expensive brand new, you might want to try and buy a used one, just be sure to check the reflector to make sure there are no bends, dents, kinks.

A new Slimline isn't very expensive at all. Here is a link:
DIRECTV Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna for MPEG-4 C HD Programming (AU9-S) - DIRECTV Slim Line - AU9-S - and another:
SLIMLINE DIRECTV DTV DISH KA/KU SL3 LNB KAKU SLIM LINE - eBay (item 260511763830 end time Apr-22-10 10:09:57 PDT)
Your HR21 will work fine with the dish you have, but you won't get any hd channels. The bbcs should have no effect on your reception in this setup, only with the Slimline and hd channels where you do need to have them installed.

I have purchased a triple LNB DTV 18x20 inch Dish to use with my HR21-700 Receiver. I have read that there is no longer any HD available on 101 110 and 119. Is this true and will I need to replace it with a Slimline dish? Thanks...Tcheairs

You will need a tech to install the Slimline Dish for th HD channels as the HD signal is very complicated to achive from someone who doesn't have the proper meter, (birdog) and even if you did achieve it, it would most likely go out on you (pixelation) because the signal is not up in the high digits

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)