3 LNB vs 5 LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Longjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Was considering putting a dish at vacation house for 1, may be 2 receivers, to recevie South Florida programming...(Miami?)
Want to make this simple and was wondering I needed a 3 LNB or 5LNB dish?
Thanks.

Was considering putting a dish at vacation house for 1, may be 2 receivers, to recevie South Florida programming...(Miami?)
Want to make this simple and was wondering I needed a 3 LNB or 5LNB dish?
Thanks.

If you want any of the programming on 110 or 119, then you need a 5 lnb. Otherwise, the 3 lnb will be fine.

If you want any of the programming on 110 or 119, then you need a 5 lnb. Otherwise, the 3 lnb will be fine.
There is no DIRECTV national programming at 110W.

What you miss is a couple of music channels.

If you're going to use an SD receiver, the SL3 is probably a bad idea.

There is no DIRECTV national programming at 110W.

What you miss is a couple of music channels.

If you're going to use an SD receiver, the SL3 is probably a bad idea.

So music channels don't count as national programming?

The stranded Sonic Tap channels in question are found at 119W.

Well, since I said 110 OR 119, and you can't get only 119 without trying really hard, I'd say I had it covered.

Well, since I said 110 OR 119, and you can't get only 119 without trying really hard, I'd say I had it covered.
My reference to content at 110W had nothing to do with content found at 119W. You are covered, but it is by egg on your face.

My reference to content at 110W had nothing to do with content found at 119W. You are covered, but it is by egg on your face.

Oh yeah, so much embarrassment! I know there is still programming on 119, but forgot that there is none on 110. How will I ever live it down? :rolleyes:

Why is it a bad idea ?? :confused:

I'd say put up a Slimline now because the OP will eventually have an HDTV at the vacation home.

An sd receiver won't get the mpeg4 locals on 99 or 103. The sl3 won't pick up 119. Unless your locals are on 101, you won't get any.

re: nothing on 110...

I have an SL5 that cannot see 119* but can see 110... I've noticed that the old channels in the 70's show up and show "blacked out in your area" and not "searching for signal" like it does for the obvious 119* channels... does that mean that they are still showing these channels, but just marking them as blacked out?

I know it's a technicality--but I didn't think the FCC allowed them to just leave their satellites empty. Are they still full of MPEG2 HD, but just not accessible anymore?

--Nat

re: nothing on 110...

I have an SL5 that cannot see 119* but can see 110... I've noticed that the old channels in the 70's show up and show "blacked out in your area" and not "searching for signal" like it does for the obvious 119* channels... does that mean that they are still showing these channels, but just marking them as blacked out?

I know it's a technicality--but I didn't think the FCC allowed them to just leave their satellites empty. Are they still full of MPEG2 HD, but just not accessible anymore?

--Nat

The mpeg2 hd channels are all gone.

FYI, DirecTV only has authorization to use TPs 22-32 on 119 and 28, 30, and 32 on 110. So those sats aren't empty.
I believe Dish uses the others.

FYI, DirecTV only has authorization to use TPs 22-32 on 119 and 28, 30, and 32 on 110. So those sats aren't empty.
I believe Dish uses the others.
DISH Network and DIRECTV don't share the satellites; they share the slots.

According to the latest info at Lyngsat, D5 has an art card or two on it. The university station that was on it would appear to be gone now. Effectively, D5 would appear to be "empty".

DIRECTV's own transponder mapping shows that the MPEG2 HD channels are still there:

ESPN HD (TP12)
ESPN2 HD (TP10)
HBOE HD (TP10)
HD Net (TP8)
HD Theater (TP12)
TNT HD (TP8)

edit: As you point out, these aren't even DIRECTV's TPNs.

=

DIRECTV's own transponder mapping shows that the MPEG2 HD channels are still there:

ESPN HD (TP12)
ESPN2 HD (TP10)
HBOE HD (TP10)
HD Net (TP8)
HD Theater (TP12)
TNT HD (TP8)

If they are still on the satellite, they aren't making it to the receivers. I'll bet you already knew that.

That's because the 110* LNB is a special one that downconverts 28, 30, 32 to 8, 10, 12... so even though the satellite is sending it's licensed transponders, the special LNB makes it appear different to the receiver.

IIRC this was done to make the multiswitch situation easier--the receiver thinks 110* is really from 119*... so rather than split 2 signals for 110/119 on tp. 28, 30, 32 (which both have licenses for), the special LNB makes it look like 119* has 8, 10, 12 and 22-32.
--Nat

I appreciiate all the input, but my head is spinning....
Is there a way to determine the programming for DirecTV on 110 and 119 for the South Florida area so I can see if I need the 5 LNB?
And do they regularly change the programming on these bands?
Thanks again..

I appreciiate all the input, but my head is spinning....
Is there a way to determine the programming for DirecTV on 110 and 119 for the South Florida area so I can see if I need the 5 LNB?
And do they regularly change the programming on these bands?
Thanks again..

What's your zip code?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)