3 sat set up with legacy lnbs

kevex

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Detroit
I have 110 119 and 61.5 coming in to 2 receivers.

Problem: When i do a check switch test with the receiver downstairs I get all 3 sats.

When I do a check switch test upstairs I get all 3 sats if the receiver downstairs is on a even transponder regardless of which sat it is on.

If the receiver downstairs is on a odd transponder ..I only get 110 and 61.5 upstairs.

my setup is 110 and 119 going into sw21x switchs and then going into sat 1 of a sw21 switch and 61.5 in sat 2 of that same switch.

Is it normal that when the receiver and sat wire is unplugged downstairs i get 0 sats upstairs.

I am doing this setup with two 301 receivers while I am waiting for my two HD receivers to arrive.

PS
I taped all switches together on the pole of one dish...would that cause interfence between the switches ?

I would like to add one more thing. On the receiver downstairs if I just stay in the dishpointing screen
and go from odd to even on any sat ....I either lose 119 or 110 on the receiver upstairs. I then have
to do another check switch test to get them back....only if I leave the receiver downstairs back on another even transponder.

You have HD coming then you need to lose the legacy stuff. You need to go Dish Pro. Also 61.5/110/119 is a mixed arc setup and will not get that much of the HD. You will need to get the Dish Pro LNB's, DPP44 switch and go for 61.5/72.7/110/119 or get rid of the 301's and replace them w/VIP models. Since you are in CAN then the former would be least expensive.

Also sounds like the receiver upstairs is not putting out LNB power and the system is depending on the downstairs one to power everything at the dish.

Last edited:
A better option is 119/110/129/61.5 using a 1000.2 dish and a 61.5 wing. It would be cheaper and you would not have to run any extra cables. If you already have all MPEG4 HD equipment the best option is 77/72.7/61.5 with 1000.4 dish.

EDIT: External switches/connections are to be avoided if at all possible they are just a unnecessary point of failure. your problem is probably a corroded connection.

Last edited:
I don't have luck with legacy setups when external switches are to be used. Seems like that stuff just don't work anymore like it's not supported or something. I use DP (DishPro) on everything now.

I have a little update.....when the receiver downstairs is on a odd transponder I lose 110 upstairs....to get it back I unscrew the sat wire to my receiver and screw it back in and I get my 110 back again.
When I unscrew the wire completly downstairs I lose 119 upstairs only.But Can't get it back when I unscrew and screw.I ordered another switch and lnb just in case.

Just a recap....problem solved...got rid of the sw21x/sw21 switches and replaced with sw31 switches.Must of
had a bad switch in the batch.

yep since DIsh doesnt make one that the OP is using now

There were SW21x switches which worked like a SW42 (2 legacy duals in...2 outputs) but there is a SW31 switch that allows you to hook 3 satellite spots to one receiver. All Legacy of course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts