CBS/NBC NY feed no sound on HD

hrg88

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
NJ
I am having sound issues on my 722 on the NY HD feeds of CBS and NBC. There is no sound on some programming and some commercials when mys Audio Receiver is set to Dolby Digital. I do get sound if I switch to 7 channel Stereo. On other channels, if the transmission is not DD, the receiver automatically switches to Dolby Pro Logic. The problem seems to be on programming that is not Dolby 5.1 (daytime shows and most news shows). This has been going on for about 3 weeks and Dish has not fixed the problem. I call to get an update every couple of days. Any one else having this problem?

How it is wired?

HDMI from the ViP 722 to a Yamaha RX-V661 7.1 HTR. 5.1 speakers off of the Yamaha and HDMI for the video to the TV. The Yamaha is set to surround decode - this mode automatically switches between Dolby Digital for 5.1 encoded signals to Dolby Pro Logic for 2 channel signals. I tried all other modes including Straight and 2 channel stereo and the only mode that had sound was 7 channel stereo. The sound in 7 channel stereo mode was all in the rear speakers. This is a new problem, I have had this setup working properly for 2 years.

stupid question. I've done this myself and accidentally turned off the main (A) speakers . Have you checked the A/B speaker buttons? Make sure the A is on.

This receiver doesn't have A/B speaker switches, but the speakers are all on. When I change channels or a different commercial or show comes on, everything works. The problem is only on CBS/NBS and only programming that is not in 5.1

Have you tried a hard reset (pull receiver plug for 30 seconds)?

Yes, I have done a hard reset and made sure I had the most recent SW

Thanks, so it sounds like the problem is from the networks. Strange that both CBS and NBS would have the same problem. If anyone gets these stations OTA and has a 5.1 system I would like to hear if that is working (network problem on everything or only the feed to the Satellite providers?)

This receiver doesn't have A/B speaker switches, but the speakers are all on. When I change channels or a different commercial or show comes on, everything works. The problem is only on CBS/NBS and only programming that is not in 5.1

OK, that eliminates that . What happens if you connect the hdmi cable from your Dish receiver directly to the TV. Is your sound system 7.1? What happens if you leave your AVR in 7.1 mode? I have an Onkyo AVR so I'm not familiar with yours. What happens when you cycle through the different sound modes?

OK, that eliminates that . What happens if you connect the hdmi cable from your Dish receiver directly to the TV. Is your sound system 7.1? What happens if you leave your AVR in 7.1 mode? I have an Onkyo AVR so I'm not familiar with yours. What happens when you cycle through the different sound modes?

I have not tried driving the TV directly, but my TV has no speakers so that will be a more difficult test. The system is 7.1, but the same Dolby Digital mode runs 5.1 or 7.1. The only mode that had any sound was 7 channel stereo.

Scratch that idea, I had time to play with my receiver as it shouldn't have shown Dolby Digital and all the speakers active on the face... Housewives of NJ on WNBC and The Talk on WCBS are coming in 5.1 sound.. (I switched from A to B speakers)

Scratch that idea, I had time to play with my receiver as it shouldn't have shown Dolby Digital and all the speakers active on the face... Housewives of NJ on WNBC and The Talk on WCBS are coming in 5.1 sound.. (I switched from A to B speakers)

Don't know about those shows, but mine would also show 5.1 and all speakers active with no sound when there was no sound when it didn't work. I know most news shows had no sound and the prime time stuff was fine (except for some commercials).

I can definitely check it out to see if it's a known channel issue on our side, or report it if not. I just need a bit more info, where do your NY locals come from that are having the problem? You mention prime time stuff is fine, but most news shows not. Does it happen during certain times on some programming, or is it prevalent for the whole thing?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts