CBS/NBC NY feed no sound on HD

OK. I brought up the manual for your AVR online. Have a couple of questions. What do you see under SP on the display (18 on page 26) Is Main Zone on or off? On page 38 they talk about switching speakers. I highly suggest getting out the manual and working through it to see if you can find your problem.

I'm watching Leno in my Bedroom from WNBC (Directv) it's surround (different satellite receiver, av receiver & tv from earlier)

It should be, the problem is only on the non surround programming on the HD channels - Seems the Dolby track is always there to set the AV receiver to DD, but the info is not there. Programming that is recorded in 5.1 comes through in surround fine. Non surround programming on the HD feeds has no sound unless I switch to 7 chan stereo, and then the voices come out of the rear and center speakers and nothing from the mains. Dish seems to keep wanting to blame it on my end, but it works on all other channels (DD and non surround programming), switches fine from 5.2 to 2 chan and runs Dolby Pro Logic when the 5.1 DD info is not there.

OK. I brought up the manual for your AVR online. Have a couple of questions. What do you see under SP on the display (18 on page 26) Is Main Zone on or off? On page 38 they talk about switching speakers. I highly suggest getting out the manual and working through it to see if you can find your problem.

Main Zone is on and working, except for certain programming, the speaker display shows the 5.1 icons. This seems to be what comes up on all the HD channels all of the time , but some programming does not use the rear speakers (but can't be positive about this). - the problem does not seem to be on my end. The AVR does everything it is supposed to do for other channels, SD and HD, 5.1 and non surround on the other HD channels (just not CBS or NBC) and works for 5.1 programming on CBS and NBC. I have had this AVR set up for years without a problem and this problem is tied to only CBS/NBC HD non surround programming.

Last edited:
Sorry friend, but it seems you AVR has gone south on you...OR there is some pilot error in play.

All I can say is that if this were a Dish problem, more than just one person would be complaining here and they are not. It's got to be in either your DVR or AVR. As I suggested, when you loose front speaker sound, check what speakers are shown as on on you4r display panel. As a last restore, do a factory default restart.

I can't believe my AVR could cause the problem on only certain channels, and the speaker display is the same between all of the HD channels and also between all of the SD channels. In case it is the DVR, I will have a new one next Friday to try. I'll wait to try the factory default reset so I don't have to redo all of my lists and timers if the DVR is good.
Besides the FD reset (a great idea) I don't think there is anything else to try here, I have gone through every setting on both units. It is possible that the Yamaha is more sensitive to a glitch in the DD track than other units, but there still has to be some issue with the data sent to it. If I had access to another surround processor, I would try that.

Yup, the old RCA cables work, but of course there is no DD so it just defaults to Pro Logic. I took your advice and did a factory default reset on both units. IT IS WORKING! I have no idea what is different, I have all of my original settings for the AVR and DVR written on my manuals, and they match, but something changed. But anyway, thanks for all of the input from everyone and I wish I could tell you what the actual problem was. Now on to setting up the guides on the DVR again.
Thanks everyone.

Great. Glad your back in business. I replaced my 722 because it was overheating a month ago. It would work for an hour or so that crash because of the heat. Bet it was dog hairs that got into the 722. We have a Newfoundland/St Bernard mix. I was able to transfer everything off the dvr to an EHD and copy all my dvr presets to paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)