30 second quantum leap

RedHat39

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Just got my JVC Sirius tuner today and connected it to my aux2 port on my 5.1 stereo receiver. I have my Dishnetwork 522 receiver connected to aux1 on the same receiver.

Funny thing I noticed is that if I tune to one of the Sirius channels with my DN receiver its like 30 seconds, or there abouts - could be a little less than 30 seconds, ahead of my JVC tuner for the same channel. I would have thought the DN receiver would be delayed but it is in fact the JVC tuner thats in a quantum leap for aprox 30 seconds. Anyone else noticed this?

I cannot explain it technically, but I do know that Sirius feeds Dish with fiber optic directly. Your JVC recievers must get the signal from New York to the sats and then to your tuners. It is about a 30 second delay on the Sirius tuners.

Sirius_Rich said:
I cannot explain it technically, but I do know that Sirius feeds Dish with fiber optic directly. Your JVC recievers must get the signal from New York to the sats and then to your tuners. It is about a 30 second delay on the Sirius tuners.

Thats sort of what I figured that DN had a bigger faster pipe to the streams.

Remember our streams are coming from satellites in a higher orbit than the geostationary satellites that DISH and Directv use. That could be it too.

Its not that, its that the music is coming from Sirius servers and going to directly to Dish whiere it is uplinked.

However for Sirius radio it goes from the servers to the encoding room, to the S Plex encoding then the signal is compressed to uplinked to the satellite which bounces down to your radio, your radio then takes the signal and uncompresses it and buffers it. (your radio has a 5 second buffer in it) well. :)

In other words the Sirius signal on Sirius radio is more processed and also buffered.

This is why sometimes if you go under a bridge you lose your signal for a second way after you passed the bridge. :)

So I am going to have a thirty second delay when I am watching the nfl games while listening to the feeds? Darn it. The radio guys are way better than the tv guys.

korsjs said:
So I am going to have a thirty second delay when I am watching the nfl games while listening to the feeds? Darn it. The radio guys are way better than the tv guys.

Snyc with the DVR or multi-task and watch a game and listen to another. That way you can keep up with your 2 team parlay. :shocked

I didn't think of the DVR. I guess I will need to check dishstore out. I just can't see paying the extra five spot for the receiver. I still don't know why they charge that fee, but that's a different topic for another day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)