30th Anniversary promo ending

Paradox-SJ said:
Yeah, I just switched over to the 1/2 price promo last night...the CSR said the promo end on the 28th. If that were the case, why were we all still receiving it?

Officially ended on 1/31 some customers as of yesterday were still receiving, but won't be charge and should go away soon. You can still call anD ask for the 1/2 off (6.50) per month for 6 months promotion.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Totally not looking a gift horse in the mouth here. Dish can feel free to offer me extra free channels as often as they want. :) In fact, I encourage it. ;) Not like I'm forced to watch them if I'm not interested.

Gotta say I was surprised at how little I watched Starz, though. I think I watched one or two movies on it the whole free year. I always thought those premium movie channels would be cool to have, but once I actually had one, it didn't really hold my interest. I'm so used to being able to Netflix whatever I want and watch it at my leisure that a limited selection that requires me to sit in front of my tv at a particular time didn't really line up with the way I watch movies these days. Of course, if I had a DVR, it might have been different! But with no DVR, I quickly found that it just wasn't something I even scanned to to see what was one.

I think TV has become pretty much a live sports, live news, or old sitcoms (the sitcoms when randomly channel surfing) type of deal for me now. I tend to catch up with TV shows online when available (Netflix on DVD when not), and movies through Netflix because I can do it anytime, press pause, etc. and get a huge selection. Internet streaming and DVD type services really changed the game on movies and tv shows.

Where satellite or cable TV is still really relevant (at least for me) is sports and news, because those are things where it's really important that they be live. Like I don't have much interest in last month's hockey game or last year's news. ;) But last month's tv show and last year's movie through Netflix or streaming are still almost as good as seeing them new, and much more convenient.

Last edited:
Totally not looking a gift horse in the mouth here. Dish can feel free to offer me extra free channels as often as they want. :) In fact, I encourage it. ;) Not like I'm forced to watch them if I'm not interested.

Gotta say I was surprised at how little I watched Starz, though. I think I watched one or two movies on it the whole free year. I always thought those premium movie channels would be cool to have, but once I actually had one, it didn't really hold my interest. I'm so used to being able to Netflix whatever I want and watch it at my leisure that a limited selection that requires me to sit in front of my tv at a particular time didn't really line up with the way I watch movies these days. Of course, if I had a DVR, it might have been different! But with no DVR, I quickly found that it just wasn't something I even scanned to to see what was one.

I think TV has become pretty much a live sports, live news, or old sitcoms (the sitcoms when randomly channel surfing) type of deal for me now. I tend to catch up with TV shows online when available (Netflix on DVD when not), and movies through Netflix because I can do it anytime, press pause, etc. and get a huge selection. Internet streaming and DVD type services really changed the game on movies and tv shows.

Where satellite or cable TV is still really relevant (at least for me) is sports and news, because those are things where it's really important that they be live. Like I don't have much interest in last month's hockey game or last year's news. ;) But last month's tv show and last year's movie through Netflix or streaming are still almost as good as seeing them new, and much more convenient.
More and more people, especially the younger ones, are doing the same as you. People like you are scaring the pants off cable and satellite providers. The times they are a changing.

More and more people, especially the younger ones, are doing the same as you. People like you are scaring the pants off cable and satellite providers. The times they are a changing.

What surprises me is that Dish is starting to scale back on sports in some areas and hinting at dropping ESPN and stuff down the line. Makes no sense under these conditions where live sports is exactly what satellite and cable can offer that DVD services can't and Internet streaming isn't contractually allowed to do in many cases (You can find some sports streaming legally, but it'd be impossible to follow your local teams that way exclusively through legal streaming sites at the moment).

Like, if I were running Dish or a cable company or something, I'd be ramping up the live sports. More sports in lower tiered packages. Play it up as a positive differential over the dvd and streaming alternatives.

What I'd also do is start adding news channels to lower tier packages. Obviously news on DVD isn't happening, and right now a lot of the bigger news channels don't stream their entire lineups live. So like MSNBC to AT120 and up. Maybe add BBC World News, CNN International, etc.. Get the live stuff that the Internet doesn't fully offer yet and could at best only hope to match (i.e. live for live) and not do better then.

Focuses on stuff like movies and new dramas and sitcoms might be a losing battle for cable and satellite in the long-term. Since live isn't really a factor for that stuff, DVD and streaming alternatives can do it cheaper and more conveniently. But DVD rental companies can't do live, and streaming services for the moment can't get the contractual rights to a lot of live sports events and news networks. So if you're cable or satellite, you focus on where you have the advantage (live sports and news) and press it by offering more channels of it for less money.

But, hey, in all fairness, there's probably a reason I'm not a business executive. I might not understand the biz and future trends quite as well as I think I do. ;) But that's just my non-expert amateur opinion, for what it's worth.

What surprises me is that Dish is starting to scale back on sports in some areas and hinting at dropping ESPN and stuff down the line. Makes no sense under these conditions where live sports is exactly what satellite and cable can offer that DVD services can't and Internet streaming isn't contractually allowed to do in many cases (You can find some sports streaming legally, but it'd be impossible to follow your local teams that way exclusively through legal streaming sites at the moment).

Like, if I were running Dish or a cable company or something, I'd be ramping up the live sports. More sports in lower tiered packages. Play it up as a positive differential over the dvd and streaming alternatives.

What I'd also do is start adding news channels to lower tier packages. Obviously news on DVD isn't happening, and right now a lot of the bigger news channels don't stream their entire lineups live. So like MSNBC to AT120 and up. Maybe add BBC World News, CNN International, etc.. Get the live stuff that the Internet doesn't fully offer yet and could at best only hope to match (i.e. live for live) and not do better then.

Focuses on stuff like movies and new dramas and sitcoms might be a losing battle for cable and satellite in the long-term. Since live isn't really a factor for that stuff, DVD and streaming alternatives can do it cheaper and more conveniently. But DVD rental companies can't do live, and streaming services for the moment can't get the contractual rights to a lot of live sports events and news networks. So if you're cable or satellite, you focus on where you have the advantage (live sports and news) and press it by offering more channels of it for less money.

But, hey, in all fairness, there's probably a reason I'm not a business executive. I might not understand the biz and future trends quite as well as I think I do. ;) But that's just my non-expert amateur opinion, for what it's worth.
Satellite and cable companies need to listen to people like you.

If Dish ever drops networks like ESPN (I doubt they would do that) then I would leave Dish in a heartbeat.

I just found out about dishonline.com, thanks to internet forums. You can browse and watch the movies anytime you want, just like Netflix streaming. Last night, I missed the first part of a movie, so I recorded the rest with my DVR, and watched the first part I missed online first. :cool:

Michael

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)