Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Sooooo... Wonder when the next generation of FTA azboxes or simular type of product are going to come out that supports s2 32 and 64 apsk's. There have been recently some NFL feeds from Europe that has come over the pond using this as well as some superbowl feed are going to be using this to fit a full HD signal in a 3 mhz space. I have seen full HD channels on with symbol rates as low as 2.5 Mbps in mpeg4 and they looked very decent. I think within the next 5 years we could see this adoption.

Sooooo... Wonder when the next generation of FTA azboxes or simular type of product are going to come out that supports s2 32 and 64 apsk's.

Depends what configuration of dVB-S2 you are looking for in those modulations. I know the Manhattan does one configuration type of DVB-S2 16APSK and I am looking but have yet to find a 32 or 64 apsk video signal to test the manhattan on. All I've come up with is 32APSK data transmissions that the Manhattan won't lock on since it doesn't support that configuration use of DVB-S2 (plus there would be no video even if the Manhattan supported it).

I know the MicroHD is supposed to have them, but I"m guessing it will be the basic DVB-S2 configurations of those modulations.

Specifically, what unsupported video "configuration" are you referring to? We have verified the microHD on all valid constellation configurations for DVBS2 compliant transmissions of 8psk, 16apsk, 32apsk and 64apsk with our test bench MPEG4 encoder/modulator.

What would be the purpose of the set top box locking on a unique data signal if it contains no video or audio to be outputted?

Last edited:
Specifically, what unsupported video "configuration" are you referring to? We have verified the microHD on all valid constellation configurations for DVBS2 compliant transmissions of 8psk, 16apsk, 32apsk and 64apsk with our test bench MPEG4 encoder/modulator.

What would be the purpose of the set top box locking on a unique data signal if it contains no video or audio to be outputted?

the various modulation codings are the "configurations". You asked what's the purpose? I've only seen video services using just one type of modulation coding so far. If you can't lock onto current data transmissions that use one of the other modulation coding types, then a future video service that might use one of those other types won't be able to be locked and watched. Locking onto data services is like an acid test as to receiver capability with the various DVB-S2 configurations. Just saying a receiver does 8psk, 16apsk, 32apsk, 64apsk doesn't say much when each modulation in DVB-S2 can be set up in many different ways and receivers like the Manhattan (and maybe microHD???) only support some of those uses.

What specific codings are you requesting? Knowing a specific parameter will allow us to determine if it is supported.

In our tests, we have used several commercially available encoders to generate and modulate dozens of QPSK, PSK and APSK signals (many that i have never observed live on a bird). We had success with all compliant streams (with the exception of turbo, which we chose not to support). In these tests, we exhausted the capabilities of the two commercial encoders. Will the microHD be future proof? No, but it handles the capabilities from two of the most popular and distributed encoders.

Generalizations will not help us develop the microHD and this is why I am being a bit insistent on additional information.

Last edited:
What specific codings are you requesting? Knowing a specific parameter will allow us to determine if it is supported.

In our tests, we have used several commercially available encoders to generate and modulate dozens of QPSK, PSK and APSK signals (many that i have never observed live on a bird). We had success with all compliant streams (with the exception of turbo, which we chose not to support). In these tests, we exhausted the capabilities of the two commercial encoders. Will the microHD be future proof? No, but it handles the capabilities from two of the most popular and distributed encoders.

Generalizations will not help us develop the microHD and this is why I am being a bit insistent on additional information.

This is what I don't understand is why you decided to not make so it can decode 4.2.2. Who've included everything up there with the exception of it & Turbo. I guess you didn't cover Turbo as to not be thought of as something that will be able to run Dish net.

4:2:2 video would require a different processor ( cpu) . Only a few cpu's have built-in 4:2:2 capabilities, and THOSE may have other limitations. Have to make some choices about what the future holds, is probably the answer, as well as the price point of the receiver. :)

4.2.2 could be accomplished with a codec ran in ram if there is enough available even if the vid chip wont support it

I am assuming that if it does MPEG4 it does MPEG2 as well! :)

4.2.2 could be accomplished with a codec ran in ram if there is enough available even if the vid chip wont support it

I have a strong feeling that external codecs won't work fast enough to provide decent performance. My PC with Elecard codecs has no problem using Tsreader/VLC or DVBviewer with 4.2.2. , but then again my PC is running 6 cpu cores at 3.7 Ghz . Not likely the receiver has that sort of horsepower . :)

my twinhan 1020a runs 4.2.2 on a sigle core 2.3 P4 with 2 gig ram & win xp & an 8200 (i think thats the one) nvidia vid card... now saying this i know a reciever is very far from that capacity

Most newer PC video cards feature hardware video acceleration. I'm sure that extra hardware could be added to the microHD's design that would accomplish 4:2:2 (daughterboard?), but that would certainly raise the price of the box considerably (above $200)...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts