322 Receiver only feeding one TV.

agrolingua

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
NE WI
I have the old Dish SD box. It is a 322. Anyway. I have 2 TVs hooked up to it. For years it has worked fine. Now only one of the TVs get a signal at any one time. The other gets the message of the lost signal, check your connections, unplug the receiver, etc. I unplug the box and then restart, go through the whole connection routine, and in the end one of the TVs has a signal (all the channels), usually the #1, but not always. Sometimes #2 (with #1 no signal). So, obviously both TVs are connected properly to the cable. I have not figured out what makes a specific TV work. It seems like the first TV I turn on after the receiver boots is the one that will work. I went through the diagnostics. It says there is a connection, but when I try to dial out it says there is a failure. Not sure how that is relates to the problem. I suspect there is trouble with the box.

I have called Support, but about all they suggest is pay $95 to have a technician look at it.

Last edited:
I would think they would upgrade you to a modern receiver for a 2 year contract.

I'd be happy to help. It sounds like 1 tuner on your receiver isn't getting signal, which can be caused by several things. Will you please send me a PM so we can go over a couple things?

I have the old Dish SD box. It is a 322. Anyway. I have 2 TVs hooked up to it. For years it has worked fine. Now only one of the TVs get a signal at any one time. The other gets the message of the lost signal, check your connections, unplug the receiver, etc. I unplug the box and then restart, go through the whole connection routine, and in the end one of the TVs has a signal (all the channels), usually the #1, but not always. Sometimes #2 (with #1 no signal). So, obviously both TVs are connected properly to the cable. I have not figured out what makes a specific TV work. It seems like the first TV I turn on after the receiver boots is the one that will work. I went through the diagnostics. It says there is a connection, but when I try to dial out it says there is a failure. Not sure how that is relates to the problem. I suspect there is trouble with the box.

I have called Support, but about all they suggest is pay $95 to have a technician look at it.

Work with Matt on this, but you do have other options than paying $95. A standard tech visit is $95 without the protection plan, but with it, it is $15. No reason to pay $95 for a tech visit.

Something is wrong with either the receiver or the triplexer (or separator) on the back of the receiver, that feeds Satellite #1 and #2 inputs. There's no way to tell without getting a tech out there, so replacing only the receiver will not necessarily solve the issue.

Also if you go to Menu-6-1-3, let that run and see if you get anything other than green under the Satellite numbers on line G. If that passes, back out, go to Point Dish, run Check Switch, then select Test on the Install Summary page, see if that runs OK. I am going to guess that you will likely get some red on the System Info page (at the Menu-6-1-3)

If you called Tech Support, did they have you run the Menu-6-1-3? What was the result? If it did come back with red under any satellite, THAT is why you need a technician.

Thank you for quick help. I called Tech Support twice and in neither case did anyone tell me to do the menu-6-1-3. I did it twice and in each instance I got a red box with a white X under satellite 119 &110. It said "Error" and select "details." That was just a message about weather, rain, snow, etc. I hardly think those are issues as I am still getting programming on one TV.

The second tech support person did mention the separator. I think I will get ahold of another one and try that. They seem to be relatively cheap.

So, does someone want to tell me what those red boxes might mean?

I'd be happy to help. It sounds like 1 tuner on your receiver isn't getting signal, which can be caused by several things. Will you please send me a PM so we can go over a couple things?

Work with Matt on this, but you do have other options than paying $95. A standard tech visit is $95 without the protection plan, but with it, it is $15. No reason to pay $95 for a tech visit.

Something is wrong with either the receiver or the triplexer (or separator) on the back of the receiver, that feeds Satellite #1 and #2 inputs. There's no way to tell without getting a tech out there, so replacing only the receiver will not necessarily solve the issue.

Also if you go to Menu-6-1-3, let that run and see if you get anything other than green under the Satellite numbers on line G. If that passes, back out, go to Point Dish, run Check Switch, then select Test on the Install Summary page, see if that runs OK. I am going to guess that you will likely get some red on the System Info page (at the Menu-6-1-3)

If you called Tech Support, did they have you run the Menu-6-1-3? What was the result? If it did come back with red under any satellite, THAT is why you need a technician.

Thank you for quick help. I called Tech Support twice and in neither case did anyone tell me to do the menu-6-1-3. I did it twice and in each instance I got a red box with a white X under satellite 119 &110. It said "Error" and select "details." That was just a message about weather, rain, snow, etc. I hardly think those are issues as I am still getting programming on one TV.

The second tech support person did mention the separator. I think I will get ahold of another one and try that. They seem to be relatively cheap.

The best thing you can do is work with Matt on this. Matt is awesome at what he does and I for one will guarantee you won't be sorry.

The red boxes mean there is a problem getting the satellite signal from the dish antenna to your receiver. It doesn't provide enough info to say exactly where the issue is, but I am 95% certain the issue is either the separator or internal to the receiver.

I'm very disappointed that you talked to two tech support agents, mentioned signal loss on one television, and you were never asked to go to Menu-6-1-3. Admittedly, in the flow for that issue, you would (or should) be transferred over to an advanced tech support agent who would them ask you to verify your connections, then go to that screen, and at that point, you would be informed that the solution would be a tech visit. Also horribly disappointed that you were only told it would be $95, and not offered the Protection Plan.

If you want to try another separator, go for it and see, but if that fails, please work with Dish (and preferably Matt at DIRT) to get a technician out to look.

OK. I have to let up a bit on the phone reps. The first rep did very little in terms of diagnostics. Then, she did pitch the protection plan opposed to the $95 tech visit. This really got to me as it just seemed nothing more than a marketing pitch rather than tech support.

The second person did at least have me check a couple things. She did have me check the connections on the separator. But, neither of them had me do the test you suggested.

I will tell you that if it comes down to paying for a technician visit I will think long and hard about whether to keep service with Dish. I rarely watch it, but my wife does. I have tested Netflix and Hulu on my Roku. Mighty tempting for less than $20 a month.

Problem is the bo:mad:maybe but 322 is reliable), separator (not likly but easey to check), Conector is not good but good enough to transmit lower frequency.
Run ck switch (6-1-1 ck switch, test) both should be 1 of 3 and result in 2 green matrix
if not
swap 2 inputs from seperator run ck switch again if the result is the same bad reciever
if not
sererator or a bad connector or LNB
or protection plan, threten to cancel service guy will come out the next day, if you get protection you can cancel (3-6 months not sure which).

menu 6-1-1
run checkswitch
SAVE results
if 1 tuner shows connected but no signal, it it most likely the rec
have them send you another or do an upgrade

Are you opposed to an upgrade? Do you not have an HDTV?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I tried a different separator from a dealer today. Made no difference.

Ran the menu 6-1-1 test. Under satellite input for both 1 & 2. I got OK under 110 and 119 in both. Then an X under Conn in both. I got a box that said the check switch test has found fewer satellites than previously detected-----

I am not eager to invest money in an upgrade, etc. I am on a cheap SD plan. I have only one HD TV at the moment and I get local channels via an antenna, and also via a Roku player. Hence, it would not take much to push me to drop Dish Net all together.

It would seem to me that my next option is to get a replacement receiver.

OK. I switched the leads. Restarted and neither TV worked. Put the leads back to the original and I was back to one TV working. I flipped on the TV a little while later and I got a message on both TVs "the smart card is not inserted correctly." I have not touched the smart card. I unplug and restart and one TV is up one down just as before.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)