360 as a Media Center?

I tried it, but it looks like I will need to hardwire the XBOX360 in order to watch livetv without breakups (I am using the $99 USB XBOX360 Wifi adapter currently)

i have it working. don't have a tv card. it is very picky on what recorded videos it will play. it says it will play wmv and mpeg2. i have tried to record fta using my theater and playing it back as a video. will not work. the file mytheater creates is a mpg file which according to their website should play. it plays fine on the regular media center.

when i converted the file to a true wmv file, it played. only problem was that my five minute sample clip took over 20 minutes to encode to wmv.

have no problem with the my music.

I got mine hooked up and was able to view pics and play music. I wasn't able to view any of my videos. Don't know what the deal is. I have all sorts of home videos and none of them show up as available. Did you check out that link? Who did they have speaking on that thing, major lisp. Play it and listen, you'll get a good laugh.

What makes me irritated, is that I can not find Windows Media Center software. Apparently Unless you buy a computer with Media insatlled it can not be added on. All my comp. run Xp. Best I can do is stream music or jpegs with Pc Direct..

you can buy it from tigerdirect or newegg. i got mine from newegg for 109. they will include a cheap computer component that costs nothing to you to make it a legal purchase.

You wouldn't want to use the 360 as a DVR with it's tiny 20gb hdd...

and the xbox media center is still leaps and bounds ahead of what 360's official media center can do...Considering how "hip" microsoft claims to be, they should know we want to watch all sorts of compressed files on the 360 besides a handful of "official" formats...

korsjs said:
you can buy it from tigerdirect or newegg. i got mine from newegg for 109. they will include a cheap computer component that costs nothing to you to make it a legal purchase.
Thanks for the tip

It's working great here. Let's me watch my HD recorded shows on my SDTV until I can get my new TV. It's hooked to my main PC running MCE 2005 with two Fusion HDTV tuner cards. HD down-sized to SD looks better than the SD original source - even on an SDTV.

I just hooked up my XBox 360 as an extender. I am using wired network. Its blowing me away. I am using an HD OTA capture card in the server and it is flawless in the XBox. My Harmony remote works fantastic with the XBox and MC features. I had this planned all along but now that its finally hooked up and working, I can not believe what I am seeing. I cant wait for a directv capture card by the end of the year.

white94cobra said:
It's working great here. Let's me watch my HD recorded shows on my SDTV until I can get my new TV. It's hooked to my main PC running MCE 2005 with two Fusion HDTV tuner cards. HD down-sized to SD looks better than the SD original source - even on an SDTV.

I am using the FushionHDTV cards too. Amazing quality. I agree, its an awesome picture even dumbed down to SD. I cant wait to get another capture card and Xbox's to attach to all my TV's. I cant wait to a direct HD capture card from either Comcast or Directv.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I tried it, but it looks like I will need to hardwire the XBOX360 in order to watch livetv without breakups (I am using the $99 USB XBOX360 Wifi adapter currently)

Has anyone tried using it with an 802.11a wireless setup, as mentioned here?

~Alan

korsjs said:
how much does the fushion hdtv cards cost?

$100-150. Not sure if you need the gold version. I had that one first but have a light version coming this week. I think the light version is just fine if you are going to do the capturing in Media Center.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts