Dishman1978

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
California
Retire this reciever, it is a POS!!! Please please please. They cause nothing but problems on install. I meant 381, i fat fingered the number.

Oh you youngsters back when the 811 was the first line HD receiver it was king so much better than the 6000. Today it is SLOW with little memory and a far cry from a desirable basic receiver. My 2 811's are still working as OTA tuners 1 is even working with a standalone TiVo. As a low cost from Ebay HDTV tuner it has a place but I don't understand why DISH would rebadge it as a 381 and try and market it as equivalent to a 301 or 311, but again why take a 522 and rebadge it as a 512 with only 1 tuner. I guess for Cheap Charlie it is less costly than NEW production.

The 301 and 311 don't have ATSC tuners and can't output HD from any source. Why would anyone want a 3xx when they could have one of these? I'd take "slow" over "no" any day! If anybody wants to trade, I have a 301 with yellow card that's just collecting dust.

TheKrell said:
The 301 and 311 don't have ATSC tuners and can't output HD from any source. Why would anyone want a 3xx when they could have one of these? I'd take "slow" over "no" any day! If anybody wants to trade, I have a 301 with yellow card that's just collecting dust.

I work in an area where the majority of people dont have OTA's. So i would rather install a 301/310/311 reciever anyday, especially when they are way faster installing than the 381. I still say its junk. It needs to be retired from new installs, hey addint it to an existing account is okay, but not new.

My office has used 381s for over a year. No shipment of 301/311 in quite a while. I agree, complete junk.

I think Echostar no longer manufactures SD boxes (for Dish), and hasn't for a while. Probably why you haven't seen any shipments in quite a while. Dish is still installing SD boxes, but they are all refurb, I believe. When will Charlie make the big 8PSK move for those of us on the WA? :).

Any service calls I see that have a 381 or 811 on the work order and the customer says they are having signal issues, I almost always assume it will be a problem with the rcvr. Very unreliable rcvr. Up there with the standard 222 rcvr.

Oh you youngsters back when the 811 was the first line HD receiver it was king so much better than the 6000. Today it is SLOW with little memory and a far cry from a desirable basic receiver. My 2 811's are still working as OTA tuners 1 is even working with a standalone TiVo. As a low cost from Ebay HDTV tuner it has a place but I don't understand why DISH would rebadge it as a 381 and try and market it as equivalent to a 301 or 311, but again why take a 522 and rebadge it as a 512 with only 1 tuner. I guess for Cheap Charlie it is less costly than NEW production.

512s have 2 tuners. They are only for a single room though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)