3D content ?

Jarrod

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
SE USA
Just wondering if anybody here has any info/speculation about E* carrying 3D content on the 622/722 line of receivers. I've heard they offer a few PPV events now, but only if you have a 922. I'm not interested in that, but would be very interested in ESPN in 3D, like DTV offers now.

Just wondering if anybody here has any info/speculation about E* carrying 3D content on the 622/722 line of receivers. I've heard they offer a few PPV events now, but only if you have a 922. I'm not interested in that, but would be very interested in ESPN in 3D, like DTV offers now.

Welcome to the forum Jarrod! I'm the guy that gave you that info over @ AVS. Unfortunately, I don't see Dish adding any 3D any time soon, if ever. Seems Charlie thinks glasses-less (is that a word???) 3D is right around the corner and new chipsets are coming, ya-da,ya-da......:rolleyes:As far as ESPN 3D goes, they're in a major dispute with Disney so that's out of the question until/if that's resolved.:(

Ed

Thanks for the reply Ed! That's too bad but is the price for being an early adopter, I suppose. Unfortunately I just upped to a 2-year commitment in November, before I had 3D up and running. I was ignorant to all these details and might have chosen a different path (DTV) if I'd known at the time

If I can just get my issues sorted with the external HDD on my 622, I'll be happy enough for the short term. But I still hope they will offer SBS 3D on these receivers sometime in the next year. From what I understand it requires no changes to the hardware or software - it's just a regular HD signal that has been pre-processed for L/R stereo, right? Or does it require 1080P, which to my knowledge these receivers cannot do?

I am switching to direct today.... Dish can eat a big one because they want me to pay $200 for the 922 because it is the only box that works with 3d! And pay a monthly fee for that same box...lol ......No contract so I am leaving them.. Been with them for years too!! So direct has 4 channels in 3d now with more coming. BYE BYE DISH!!!!

I have a slightly different view, with the same outcome. I think Dish is doing a service to it's subscribers by not going heavy into spending money and time on 3D. There is precious little content, there is no indication any of the network nightly TV shows are going to spend any money at all towards going 3D. Even now, those are the shows most watched by TV viewers over Cable only shows. Add to that the extremely minor percentage of homes with a 3D TV, and the very slow sales of them, and I think it is wise for Dish to hold back at this time. I think most everyone saw the significance of HD, and even that took quite awhile for people to buy into. But it was known most networks and shows would be shot in HD.
In fact you could say it was the Government who made sure we would go to HD by requiring digital. Yes, you can get a converter box, but that's a bandaid. And yes HD wasn't required, only digital was. But when people went to buy a new TV, it was going to be not only digital, but HD because that would be virtually all that was available. For 3D to take off, manufactures are going to have to do the same thing, make 3D capable only sets, so that you have no choice and won't buy the less expensive non 3D models. But that doesn't mean shows will be shot in 3D. HD made everything better. 3D really only makes certain scenes better, and requires at least at this time the glasses, and the ability for your eyes to be able to see 3D. While I admit to only seeing three things in 3D, all at various electronic stores, the picture just didn't seem right. In one, with the forground being people, and the background a castle, (don't know what I was watching) the people were not proportioned correctly, seemed too small. I have had others tell me that also. In addition, in fast moving scenes, I see rainbow colors following the movement. It just needs more time to be ready for prime time, if that time will ever come.

Last edited:
Make sure you have the right equipment, meaning that the 3D stuff you have or are going to get is compatible with D*'s 3D. That is not a given and there are threads in many places discussing that very issue.

:sob:
I am switching to direct today.... Dish can eat a big one because they want me to pay $200 for the 922 because it is the only box that works with 3d! And pay a monthly fee for that same box...lol ......No contract so I am leaving them.. Been with them for years too!! So direct has 4 channels in 3d now with more coming. BYE BYE DISH!!!!

I'm sure that will come as big blow to Dish....I know I feel the loss.....

I dont know why they are pushing 3D only on the 922. I have seen 3D work on the 722 in fact when they have demoed 3D (such as Team Summit) it has come off a 722. (I don't know where the 3D was coming from at CES, it was a demo loop that was not being broadcast via satellite. DISH has a 3D Demo they put up last summer on channel 4848 (Not available to the public) but that was not the same loop shown at CES.)

I was actually kind of surprised to see that DIRECTV is launching the new 3NET channel, I actually EXPECTED DISH to launch it first.

I dont know why they are pushing 3D only on the 922. I have seen 3D work on the 722 in fact when they have demoed 3D (such as Team Summit) it has come off a 722.

Very interesting, thanks for this post Scott. So I guess that answers my question about whether the hardware is capable or not. This just leaves the question of content and how/if Dish can license what little content is out there now. I'll just have to wait and see but this post gives me hope!

On a related note, my 3D-capable HDMI switch was just delivered two minutes ago. There is an empty input waiting for my 622 if/when the time comes...

I think most everyone saw the significance of HD, and even that took quite awhile for people to buy into. But it was known most networks and shows would be shot in HD.
In fact you could say it was the Government who made sure we would go to HD by requiring digital.

Completely agree with this and have thought the same myself many times. HD was just short of a government mandate and it still took what, a decade before it finally got serious traction? 3D is not an automatic win in the marketplace, I completely agree with that.

OTOH, very much unlike the move to HD, it doesn't cost any more to broadcast in 3D than it does in HD. The main difference is cost of production. This may limit 3D content to movies (where they will spend the extra to get people into theaters at 2x the regular ticket) and video games (where there is essentially no additional production cost, just a handful of extra lines of code) for the foreseeable future. It is nice to see that ESPN is trying to move the technology forward with sports. That is potentially a "killer app" for 3d, and one I'd welcome into my home given the opportunity.

Last edited:
lol dish will be fine without my money I know that!!!! But as long as i am happy... After all I am DISHING out the cash...... No pun intended.....

I just got this from someone at DISH regarding 3D on the 722k.

even though we were showing a ViP 722k playing a 3D movie at last year's Team Summit in San Antonio, it was using beta software. As 3D will most likely become more popular in the future as it is forecasted to be, Echostar is working on making more ViP-series receivers available for 3D, including the ViP 722/k. Right now, there is no 3D content available for any other DISH receiver except for the ViP 922.

And there you have it.

"Or does it require 1080P, which to my knowledge these receivers cannot do?"

The ViP series of receivers can do 1080p. You can d/l some movies in that format. The bigger question is: Can your TV do 1080p?

For 3D, your sat box and TV both need to be 3D capable. And if you feed thru an AV receiver, it also needs to be 3D capable, in the sense of handling HDMI 1.4. Or so I hear.

I used to have 3D on D* and it really doesn't need HDMI 1.4. (In fact you can get a lot of less than reputable 720p 3D rips tp play on a device like a WDTV in side by side mode over HDMI 1.3.) As long as the cable speed is fast enough it is fine. I was running D* and a Samsung C6800 BDP using monoprice HDMI1.3 cables with no problems. As for the AVR, I'm not sure as I upgraded right before I got my tv to a 3D capable receiver. I know with D* the receiver would check the device first to make sure it supported 3D or else you get a "Please hook this receiver up to a compatible device" error message on screen so it is possible if it detects a non 3D receiver it may give you the error instead of showing the video. I haven't tried Dish's VOD yet to compare... D* was good in terms of PQ but it was the same crap over and over again... kind of like a 3D version of Voom in it's final days.

HDMI 1.4 is NOT required for 3D, Neither is 1080P. Comcast runs their 3d through hdmi 1.3 cable boxes, and you have to manually set your tv to the proper 3d format (side by side, or top bottom) A non 3d tv, all it sees is the 720 or 1080I image and displays it. From there if the tv is 3d capable then the tv will process the image in the proper 3d format. The only time 1080P is required for 3d is if the signal is braudcasted in that format. ESPN, N3D are not in the 1080P format. ESPN3d is in 720P and N3D is in 1080I.

Very interesting, thanks for this post Scott. So I guess that answers my question about whether the hardware is capable or not. This just leaves the question of content and how/if Dish can license what little content is out there now. I'll just have to wait and see but this post gives me hope!

On a related note, my 3D-capable HDMI switch was just delivered two minutes ago. There is an empty input waiting for my 622 if/when the time comes...

Hey Jarrod-
I'd be interested in your results with that switch if it works well. Like where'd ya get it, $$$, etc. Just in case I EVER need one..........;):rolleyes:

Ed

Found your post with link @ AVS. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)