3D HDTV Channel for Direct TV in 2010

cpdretired

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 6, 2003
Lemont, Il.
There will be no escape from 3D HDTV in 2010, with more broadcasters announcing the launch of a dedicated 3D TV channel.

In the US, Direct TV is just the latest broadcaster to announce that it will be launching a 3D TV channel in 2010.

The main thrust of 3D HDTV will come at the Consumers Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, which starts next week!

Last year, all of the major companies such as LG, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung had 3D HDTV panels on display, but the technology did not strike a chord.

This year, though, all the talk is of 3D and this technology is going to make its way into the homes of the consumer.

Currently it seems that broadcasters will be using a mix of 3D HDTV formats but, as time moves on, maybe only one format will come out on top.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2009/12/30/3d-hdtv-channel-for-direct-tv-in-2010/

There will be no escape from 3D HDTV in 2010, with more broadcasters announcing the launch of a dedicated 3D TV channel.

In the US, Direct TV is just the latest broadcaster to announce that it will be launching a 3D TV channel in 2010.

The main thrust of 3D HDTV will come at the Consumers Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, which starts next week!

Last year, all of the major companies such as LG, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung had 3D HDTV panels on display, but the technology did not strike a chord.

This year, though, all the talk is of 3D and this technology is going to make its way into the homes of the consumer.

Currently it seems that broadcasters will be using a mix of 3D HDTV formats but, as time moves on, maybe only one format will come out on top.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2009/12/30/3d-hdtv-channel-for-direct-tv-in-2010/

Only if they can manage to do this so you don't need to wear glasses ....

Someone shows up at the house and they can't watch the same show your watching because you don't have extra glasses ?

From what I am hearing is that the 3D HDMI support has been in the DIRECTV CE software for awhile now.

I am also hearing that the 3D channel is actually up and running now and will be most 3DTV makers video source for 3D content at CES.

From what I am hearing is that the 3D HDMI support has been in the DIRECTV CE software for awhile now.

I am also hearing that the 3D channel is actually up and running now and will be most 3DTV makers video source for 3D content at CES.

Is this going to require a new recvr or is it working on ALL newer recvrs now (CE) ?

I could see if they dedicated a channel to it or a sub channel on the channels they are using for it.

Is this going to require a new recvr or is it working on ALL newer recvrs now (CE) ?

I could see if they dedicated a channel to it or a sub channel on the channels they are using for it.

Well, if its currently built in to the CE and is running on HDMI im going to take an educated guess and say the current receivers can handle it now. I would think they could do 1080P 3D shall I dare to dream?

Well, if its currently built in to the CE and is running on HDMI im going to take an educated guess and say the current receivers can handle it now. I would think they could do 1080P 3D shall I dare to dream?

You make a good point about it being in current CE software, but I have not seen anything listed as 3D in any of the notes, but I don't always look at them, they are pretty much the same.
You would think that it would be mentioned in the notes, seeing thats a pretty BIG thing.

If it's running in the current CE software then yes, it would make sense that the current recvrs can run it ....... kinda a dumb question on my part back there ...:eek:

All HR series receivers can handle it. (At least that's what I am hearing.)

another Waste

How so? It has to start somewhere.

Kind of like HD, what if they had simply said, well not enough have HD TVs in the begining, and just not went in that direction? We would be waiting even longer for new content than we are.

How so? It has to start somewhere.

Kind of like HD, what if they had simply said, well not enough have HD TVs in the begining, and just not went in that direction? We would be waiting even longer for new content than we are.

No one said HD was a waste. Everyone just wanted to know how soon and why is it taking so dang long. :)

3d in the home is a joke. Why would I ever... EVER wear special glasses to watch TV? 2 years from now 3d will be a flop and will be forgotten

Look how lame it is in the theater. And don't go on some rant about how f-ing great Avatar is.

Its just a gimmick plain and simple. The only reason Hollywood is pushing 3d is because, for now it is very hard to bootleg a 3d movie.

They can launch 3 3d stations but wont launch BBCA-HD or Travel Channel HD.

Just Lame

3d in the home is a joke. Why would I ever... EVER wear special glasses to watch TV? 2 years from now 3d will be a flop and will be forgotten

Look how lame it is in the theater. And don't go on some rant about how f-ing great Avatar is.

Its just a gimmick plain and simple. The only reason Hollywood is pushing 3d is because, for now it is very hard to bootleg a 3d movie.

They can launch 3 3d stations but wont launch BBCA-HD or Travel Channel HD.

Just Lame

I agree with the BOLD parts.
I think it will be around longer than 2-3 years though, considering that it's barely out now, I would imagine it will be phased out within 5 years.

Are they building special 3-D TV's, as I and others have mentioned already, most people are just now getting into the HD TV's, they won't be going out to buy the newer yet 3 D TV's and at WHAT COST.

This could end up being like the LD 's and players, anyone remember them, how many of you had the Laser Disc set ups and what are they doing now ?

This could end up being like the LD 's and players, anyone remember them, how many of you had the Laser Disc set ups and what are they doing now ?

I work in Higher Ed and we have a library full of LD's. We treat the players like gold, with only one allowed out in the field and the rest jealously guarded as spares, because we can't get them repaired anymore. Long term I hope to be able to play all the LD's into an IPTV server, but there would be a ton of copyright issues to work out...

I work in Higher Ed and we have a library full of LD's. We treat the players like gold, with only one allowed out in the field and the rest jealously guarded as spares, because we can't get them repaired anymore. Long term I hope to be able to play all the LD's into an IPTV server, but there would be a ton of copyright issues to work out...

Unfortunatly your entire collection is of OLD stuff as I doubt that anyone has made a LD of any newer stuff in 20 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)