3LNB install - short-term use of my HR21?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

R Daneel

Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
I'm upgrading my DirecTV service with the 5LNB dish and HR21 receivers - yay!

Only drawback for me at the moment is that my satellite dish install is a couple weeks out and I have my HR21's right now. I've been reading and searching the forums for a couple days and not found an answer - perhaps I'm just not using the correct terminology in my searches but I cannot find an answer.

Can I use the current 3LNB signal that is going to my current HD receiver (cannot remember the brand/model at the moment) with my new HR21 to watch TV? The reason I ask is that I would like to have the HD DVR for this weekend's ESPN HD games. I know I will not start getting new HD signals that I don't have with the current dish but will I be able at least take my current HD channels and use the HR21 DVR? I also understand I only have one feed coming in and until I get the SWM installed I cannot watch and record a different show - I'm only concerned about the ability to take what I'm getting now and DVR.

Anyone knowledgeable in this area? Many thanks if anyone has a suggestion - this is a great forum I'm happy I came across it.

- RD

Welcome to the forum!

You can use a 3 LNB dish with the HR model HD DVR's the only drawback is you won't have any of the new mpeg4 HD channels until you upgrade your dish to a new 5 LNB Slimline. No need to connect the BBC's either until you have the new dish. For the time being you can watch mpeg2 HD channels in the 70's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts