4:2:2 Chroma

ECruzBUD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
SEATTLE, WA.
So, again.....
There's NO Satellite receiver that support MEPG-4 4:2:2 chroma and UHD
to watch ABC Network feeds OUT-TO-TV????

Except for some of you said is to use a satellite receive
that does receive 4:2:2 chroma, BUT require using your Mobil phone
or other devices that connects from the receiver, to watch ABC Network
streaming on devices or Mobil. NO output to TV.

That's correct???

Thank you.

I think the Azbox Elite and Ultra STB's were capable of 4:2:2 but none of the current crop of consumer grade receivers can (as far as I know). Thank goodness for streaming and VLC.

No need to wait. Just reach deep into your pockets or take a second mortgage. ;)

Reactions: k.r. and c-spand
No need to wait. Just reach deep into your pockets or take a second mortgage. ;)

Looks like this receiver only outputs video via IP, too...

Reactions: k.r.

That's petty cash. I bought a DSR922 plus VCRS plus the HDTV decoder for more than that.

What you need is to set up a satellite backend system using one or more DVB-S2 tuner cards (or USB connected tuners, but I have heard they are prone to overheating so I recommend the cards). There is a somewhat dated article here that more or less explains the process:

I am sure it seems like a pretty daunting process if you are just coming into it because basically there is a lot to learn all at once. But once you have your system set up and working and start to understand how the parts fit together, it gets a lot easier. And the DVB-S2 tuner cards will work to receive the 4:2:2 signals.

But then again you don't necessarily need to go that route. I sill suggest reading and trying to understand that article, because it will give you insight into how all the parts work together. But consider this, let's say you have a normal consumer-grade satellite receiver that is able to scan in the 4:2:2 transponder (either because it picked it up on a blind scan or because you entered the settings manually) and is able to record from that transponder and produce a transport stream (.ts) file and save that to a hard drive, OR stream it to your local network. What it won't do is play the channel directly to your TV. Well, that is because the playback section in most receivers is too weak, neither the CPU nor GPU (if it has one) is capable of playing the signal in real time. But chances are that just about any desktop or laptop computer you may have will play that signal just fine.

So if the receiver you have will stream that signal to the local network, you can use any program that will play a stream to play it - typical programs used are VLC or Kodi but there are several others. If it will save the stream to a file on attached storage such as a hard drive, and you can access that file from the local network, then again you can play that file using the same software (VLC or Kodi, etc.) and if the file is a .ts file you don't even have to wait for it to be finished recording; you can usually begin playback shortly after the recording starts. But you say you don't want to watch on your laptop or desktop, well that's what a Home Theater PC is for. You connect it to your TV using a HDMI cable. And yes you could use your current desktop or laptop computer for the purpose but some of us have a dedicated computer just for HTPC use. If you were NOT trying to get 4:2:2 you could use a Raspberry Pi 4 as a HTPC but the Pi 4 suffers from the same problem as most satellite receivers in that the hardware just isn't beefy enough to play back the 4:2:2 signal. I think some people are using an Intel NUC or similar small computer for the purpose, or even a Mac Mini if you have $$$ to burn. But my point is that you are most certainly not limited to watching 4:2:2 signals on your phone, and that you CAN output to your TV.

So read the linked article and I think you will see that although it is not as simple as hooking up a satellite receiver (unfortunately), it also does not require buying some expensive commercial tuner (that you then have to figure out how to connect to your TV). That said I am a bit amazed that in the year 2021 we still don't have any new consumer-grade satellite receivers that can handle a 4:2:2 signal without acting like they are trying to drink from a fire hose.

If you have a halfway decent PC, just get a TBS 5920 and smart DVB and what away.
I looked into using one of those cards and it was a major pain in the backside to use than an STB. Besides, my guess is that the OP would rather have the smaller STB than a PC next to his TV.

It's called a PC and you should have one hooked up to your TV anyway.

I tried using one of those receiver boxes and wow, what a pain in the ass. So much more difficult and slower to use than a PC. Don't understand the hype.

I have no clue how the normies function without a PC connected to their TV. Every single thing imaginable is superior with a PC. Working, gaming, watching videos. I do it all from my comfy king size bed and PC connected to my TV.

I tried using one of those receiver boxes and wow, what a pain in the ass. So much more difficult and slower to use than a PC. Don't understand the hype.

I have no clue how the normies function without a PC connected to their TV. Every single thing imaginable is superior with a PC. Working, gaming, watching videos. I do it all from my comfy king size bed and PC connected to my TV.
I understand why some people would want to connect a PC to their TV

I also understand why some people would not want to connect a PC to their TV

Just like a truck is superior to a car when you need to transport a ton of sand, but a car is usually more pleasant to drive than a car for long distance trips with the family.

Different needs, different goals, different solutions

Amen brther, I do not own a STB, much easier on the Computer

I understand why some people would want to connect a PC to their TV

I also understand why some people would not want to connect a PC to their TV

Just like a truck is superior to a car when you need to transport a ton of sand, but a car is usually more pleasant to drive than a car for long distance trips with the family.

Different needs, different goals, different solutions

Depends on the truck but I've got a Cybertruck on pre-order and it looks way comfier than any car I've ever had. I'd definitely rather go road tripping in my Cybertruck than some little car.

The PC is a Cybertruck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts