4" Dish Mount On A 3" Pipe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
You may recall that I acquired an old Raydx 10.5 ft mesh dish a few weeks back that was mounted on a 4“ schedule 40 pipe. Since everything I have is 3“ schedule 40 I had to come up with a way to mount this dish without horking up what I already have in the ground and also my dish transport/test stand trailer setup.

Well, here’s some pictures of how I did this and as you can see in the last one, that dish is mounted on my temporary mount on the trailer and is being tested at this time.

The piece of pipe in the back of my truck is what I cut off from the original site. I had a local machine shop cut the end off to square it up then they cut that pipe into 2 equal pieces 27“ long. As you can see in the pics I did all the drilling and tapping on my Bridgeport mill so everything is in line and square to the pipe.

The holes in the pipe were tapped 1/2“ x 13 and when I welded the nuts on I had a bolt in the hole through the nut to make sure the threads lined up. I did run the tap back through there after I finished just to make sure everything fit nicely. Coated those bolts with never seize before I installed them so hopefully they won’t rust together over time.

Last pic is of the dish mounted on that 4“ adapter and so far it “seems” to be working out OK.

Attachments

• rdx2.jpg
    rdx2.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 257
  • rdx3.jpg
    rdx3.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 279
  • rdx4.jpg
    rdx4.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 275
  • rdx5.jpg
    rdx5.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 273
  • rdx6.jpg
    rdx6.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 290
Nice mod! Thanks for sharing! :)

I think that the 4" pipe was a little over kill for this dish, but knowing it was designed and built in Florida I guess they figured they had to do that because of the hurricanes they get down there. That Raydx dish is a little heavier than the other two I have but not enough to justify the difference in pipe size for this area, IMHO.

FYI I made two of those adapters so if I decide to use this dish in place of the Unimesh then I already have another adapter for that post.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)