(4) Tuners with (1) Dish??

tdogg72

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
I have a dish network satelite that feeds a DVR 522 (dual tuner) reciever. An installation guy is planning on coming back out sometime tonight or tomorrow to add ANOTHER DVR 522, so I can watch TV on up to (4) diff. TV's (all watching diff. programing). Right now the Satelite only has two coax cables going from it to the DVR 522. If only 2 cables are coming from the satelite, how am I going to be able to watch 4 diff. stations at once??

My understanding was that each coaxial cable coming from the sattelite provided two seperate tunning sources.

Oh, one more question...

If I have (2) DVR 522's,, how are they going to work together??? or are they going to be independant? So if I have DVR 522 #1 feeding rooms #1 and #2. and DVR 522 #2 feeding rooms #3 and #4... am I going to be able to watch a video recorded from DVR #1 if I am at a TV in room #3 ir #4?

tdogg72 said:
I have a dish network satelite that feeds a DVR 522 (dual tuner) reciever. An installation guy is planning on coming back out sometime tonight or tomorrow to add ANOTHER DVR 522, so I can watch TV on up to (4) diff. TV's (all watching diff. programing). Right now the Satelite only has two coax cables going from it to the DVR 522. If only 2 cables are coming from the satelite, how am I going to be able to watch 4 diff. stations at once??

My understanding was that each coaxial cable coming from the sattelite provided two seperate tunning sources.

Oh, one more question...

If I have (2) DVR 522's,, how are they going to work together??? or are they going to be independant? So if I have DVR 522 #1 feeding rooms #1 and #2. and DVR 522 #2 feeding rooms #3 and #4... am I going to be able to watch a video recorded from DVR #1 if I am at a TV in room #3 ir #4?

You (most likely) have a Dish Pro Twin or Dual LNB. The installer will either switch the LNB to a QUAD or install a DP34 where the cables enter the house. Either way there will be 4 feeds when he is done.

Your second uestion... they are independant in the way you are going to have them hooked up. you wont be able to watch something recorded on 1 or 2 on 3 or 4 and vice versa.

He probably will do a DP34 and run 2 extra lines

2 from outside...4 in the house.
A quad would need 4 from the dish

Iceberg said:
He probably will do a DP34 and run 2 extra lines

2 from outside...4 in the house.
A quad would need 4 from the dish

Yup... thats why I listed them both as options.... jsut depends on A. the installer and B. what he has with him

Great thanks for the help!

Hmmm, would it be better to have him install a NON-DVR Reciever? Would that enable me to use the DVR from any TV? How would that work?

The whole point of getting another reciever, was so I could use those extra tuners for recording shows, so I dont tie up the TV's from being able to view Live TV (when Im recording a show)

EDIT: i.e. I am downstairs watching TV on TV2. My wife is upstairs watching TV on TV1. She wants to watch LIVE TV, but cant because I am recording a shown on TV1(and she doesnt want to watch that show).

tdogg72 said:
Great thanks for the help!

Hmmm, would it be better to have him install a NON-DVR Reciever? Would that enable me to use the DVR from any TV? How would that work?

The whole point of getting another reciever, was so I could use those extra tuners for recording shows, so I dont tie up the TV's from being able to view Live TV (when Im recording a show)

EDIT: i.e. I am downstairs watching TV on TV2. My wife is upstairs watching TV on TV1. She wants to watch LIVE TV, but cant because I am recording a shown on TV1(and she doesnt want to watch that show).

There can be some pretty complex setups. Operating in dual mode... any time you are using a tuner to record you are tying up that TV's ability to watch live tv other than what you are recording. One way you can do it (this totally depends on how you want to do it) is to set up TV 1 and 2 on the 2 tvs that you primarily watch and tvs 3 and 4 to the tvs your wife predominantly watches. Thats if you dont share many TV's.

Unfortunately this is the case with any 2:2 DVR (2 tuners 2 tvs) they do make the 721 which is 2 tuners and 1 tv but they are hard to find but wont really drive your other tvs.

Another way to do it is to set up a kind of Whole house system. You would need your 522 and a (lets say 311) all with UHF remotes. run the outputs of each of the recievers to a combiner. that way you have channel 3/4 from the 522 channel (Whatever number you set) from the 522 and buy a modulator for the 311's output and have it output on another channel of choice. this would provite 3 tuners to every TV so if you are recording something on TV 1 and TV 2 your wife would have the 311 to turn to live tv without using the 522 at all.

I probably shouldnt have mentioned that as it is VERY complex and quite pricy.

the best to do would be to manage where you record and what you record.

Another thought I have had would be to install a reciever to each tv 522 for tv 1 and 2 and another for 3 and 4. use the output of the LEAST used tv say you hardly ever use 4 and use its output and run it via splitters to every recievers Antenna In. This would provide the output of TV 4 to every tv in the house. and anything recorded on 3 & 4 could be watched anywhere.

I have many Ideas. Once you see how the system works you will likely have many Ideas as well. Some of my Ideas are good, some costly and such.

Im sure others have similar Ideas.

How many Physical TVs are you going to be using? I might have an Idea for you depending on answer

Thanks Shadow.

I have drawn a diagram of my current setup. Take a look at that.
http://www.grahamsite.com/tv/HOMECATV.PDF

TV #1(currently uses TV1 input): Used the 2nd most. This is the TV the wife uses alot. But this is where I record shows too... thus the conflict.

TV #2(currently uses TV2 input): Used the most.

TV #3(currently uses TV2 input): Used seldomly. But my plan is for this TV to have its own tuner (when they set me up with another dual tuner reciever)

TV #4(currently uses TV2 input): This is a video projector, which is seldomly used to project TV. This wont necessarily get its own tuner when I get this 2nd dual tuner. It can share the same tuner as TV #3.(since they wont be both on at the same time).

My plan is to use the 4th tuner simply for recording. But now I am not sure if I will be able to access and record to a DVR from all TV's/Tuners).

Take a look at the diagram to see which TV's are which number.

I really need to know if I can have 4 tuners that all can somehow can access (1) DVR for viewing recordings...

http://www.grahamsite.com/tv/HOMECATV.PDF

Gotcha, nice diagrams.

Waht I would do.... Use the TV 3/4 setup to do all my recording... use Single mode on that reciever.. since both TV's are in the same room and wont be watching anything seperate.. this gives you the option to A record something in the background B record 2 things at once while no one is in the room and C a nice PIP feature on the TV and Prjector. I would run ouput 2 of the 3/4 reciever via Coax to the External antenna in on the other DVR. that way when you turn off the tuner that is on say tv 2 on the 1/2 dvr the dvr from downstairs passes through and you can watch whatever is on that dvr (the tv 3/4 dvr that is)

what this does:

As noted it gives you the functionality of PIP and background recording on tv 3/4

It also allows you to watch all that is recorded on the 3/4 Dvr on tv's 1,2,3,4. I really hope this helped.

My recommendation is not to have a DVR on tv's 1 and 2 inless you want to record alot on those tvs and couldnt record downstairs. I would get a 322 for tvs 1 and 2 and that way your wife doesnt have to worry about disrupting a recording if she uses any tvs.

hope that helps.

Great ideas I think that sounds like what I want to do EXCEPT for one thing...

If I dont have TV1 and TV2 off of a DVR than I lose the pause live tv, replay, etc...

EDIT: Can both of the receivers be DVR's and still work the way you laid it out?

Hmm, I wonder if you can even have two dvr's.. wouldnt the UHF pro remote change both DVR's TV2 inputs? heh

dish might charge u more, under current dha promotion u can only have 1 dvr per account. (read your fine prints)

tdogg72 said:
Great ideas I think that sounds like what I want to do EXCEPT for one thing...

If I dont have TV1 and TV2 off of a DVR than I lose the pause live tv, replay, etc...

EDIT: Can both of the receivers be DVR's and still work the way you laid it out?

Hmm, I wonder if you can even have two dvr's.. wouldnt the UHF pro remote change both DVR's TV2 inputs? heh

Yes... the only reason I suggested the 322 was to eliminate the dvr fee.

No to changing both TV2s the installer will put them on different channels (not tv channels) frequencies

dulzen said:
dish might charge u more, under current dha promotion u can only have 1 dvr per account. (read your fine prints)

I hate to flat out disagree but every reciever I have is a DVR. I have 2 510's and a 522 leased from Dish along with my own 721.

For the current DHA package, it does indeed say no more than ONE DVD 522 per account.

But my installer said he is going to give me another 522 anyways....
We will see...

tdogg72 said:
For the current DHA package, it does indeed say no more than ONE DVD 522 per account.

But my installer said he is going to give me another 522 anyways....
We will see...

well Ill be darned... I just pulld out the carbon copy on my new 510 install and it does say that... well I have 3 leased DVRs currently who knows if they actually enforce this.

EDIT: I went to E*'s site and punched in my address to get dish and they even say that it will be serviced by a a 522 and 2 510's

EDIT 2: I pulle dout my original install sheet and it even says 1 dvr... I think this is a BS statement adn clearly not enforced

Hmmm, I just talked to the installer, and he said that he will need to swap out the LNB for a quad and run more cabling. So that sounds like one of those options you guys posted about earlier. But then you both agreed that the easier way was to just install a DP34 at the entry point and run new cables from that... So I told him about your idea and he said that that DP34 is for DirectTV. And they would have to do it the way he told me....

Thoughts?

tdogg72 said:
Hmmm, I just talked to the installer, and he said that he will need to swap out the LNB for a quad and run more cabling. So that sounds like one of those options you guys posted about earlier. But then you both agreed that the easier way was to just install a DP34 at the entry point and run new cables from that... So I told him about your idea and he said that that DP34 is for DirectTV. And they would have to do it the way he told me....

Thoughts?

DP34 for Directv? WTF DP stands for Dish Pro..... that installer is on crack

EDIT: Apparently your installer isnt knowlegable of his products. I am using a DP 34.... Ill post a link later but it says Dish Network on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)