40GB Playstation 3 Price Drop Coming on Sunday?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
PS3: 40GB Playstation 3 Price Drop Coming on Sunday

prices-ps3.JPG
Information in a leaked Blockbuster memo has revealed that the discontinued 40GB Playstation 3 is set for a $40 price drop on Sunday, bringing it down to $360. The memo also notes that a 40GB bundle with an HDMI cable, Spiderman the movie and Transformers the game will see a drop as well. It's not what I would call a huge discount for a system pulled by Sony, but if you don't mind having only 40GB of storage it could make for a decent Christmas present. [Kotaku]

its quick and simple to swap hard drives; buy it and if not enough space, switch out the hard drive
Its not as simple as spapping in a bigger HD. The 40gb model is lacking many other important features then the other models. It was a dumbed down model brought out to help during the format wars.

Its not as simple as spapping in a bigger HD. The 40gb model is lacking many other important features then the other models. It was a dumbed down model brought out to help during the format wars.

As of the release of the new 60gb model, and the discontinuation of the MGS bundle, all PS3s are missing those features, and Sony has indicated none of those features are going to return.

So calling the 40gb dumbed down is to call the rest of them the same :p

I don't know about the "dumbed down" label for the 40GB PS3. But it's definitely watered down compared to previous PS3 models.

I have a 80GB PS3 (the Motor Storm bundle edition).

I think the SACD compatibility is an important feature. Blu-ray itself could be used as a high quality, next-generation audio format if the music industry can pull their heads out of their backsides and do so.

The three flash card slots are very handy. I applied my PS3's first firmware update using a SD card. I can take the CF card out of my Canon D-SLR, insert into the PS3 and instantly shuffle through photos.

The four USB 2.0 slots make it possible to have two controllers attached all the time and still be able to attach other devices, like keyboards, mice, external hard drives, etc.

USB hubs and card readers are cheap enough now anyways for those that really need it. Personally, the only time I use a USB port on the PS3 is to charge a controller, use a keyboard, or connect a flash drive...temporary operations that only take one port at a time. Its media streaming and blutooth capabilities eliminate some of the need for USB, though I'd probably be bumming if I needed an IR remote dongle connected.

The drop is because of the new 160gb version coming out soon and the news that the NEW Slim PS3 will be unvailed at the CES show in Jan. 09

As of the release of the new 60gb model, and the discontinuation of the MGS bundle, all PS3s are missing those features, and Sony has indicated none of those features are going to return.

So calling the 40gb dumbed down is to call the rest of them the same :p

Thats his favorite same ol comment, along with "obsolete".

Yawn.

I'm hoping the rumors of a "slim" PS3 never get past the rumor stage. MP3 players and iPods can be tiny and cutesy. A lady's eye makeup compact can be slim and cutesy.

The slim and cutesy packaging goal should not be a big selling point in gaming consoles or anything else with powerful computing electronics that tend to run very hot and need ample airflow. I can just see PS3 motherboards and chip sets melting in such a design, despite the air cooling fans screaming in futility 100% of the time.

The first XBox as well as the PS3 have been mocked over their size. IMHO, those criticisms are silly. Look at the "red rings of death" and other component failure problems XBox360 has had because it had to go after the smaller/prettier packaging scheme. I think PS3 is as small as it needs to be. It doesn't need to be any smaller until lower power Cell processors are developed, along with other chip improvements that shrink or eliminate certain boards.

Thats his favorite same ol comment, along with "obsolete".

Yawn.
You forgot one

The DMP-BD30 has no internal decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio. This lack of internal decoding is particularly disappointing because the older DMP-BD10A itself offered internal decoding for all of these formats...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts